The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2002, 05:33 AM   #1
mellow

Redding Titanium Carbide Sizing Die Setup Question

I just received my press. This is my first time doing this, so I got some newbie questions. I have a Redding Titanium Carbide Sizing Die. The instructions note as follows:

"Carbide pistol sizing dies are not designed to full length size cases. Adjust the die to size only that portion of the case that has been expanded during firing. On some cases an undersirable ring or belt may appear near the base if the sizing die is incorrectly adjusted. This may weaken the case and is not desirable."

This is different than the setup instructions on my pro2000. I would appreciate any help clearing up these differences in setup when it comes to the Redding Titanium Carbide Sizing Die. Thanks all for your help.
Old December 7, 2002, 09:11 AM   #2
MADISON

Redding Titanium Carbide Sizing Die Set Up

I use the Hornady Titanium Nitrate dies. I adjust them down to the ram. If you have any doubts them place the thickness of a layer of a book match between the shell holder and the die. Work from there...
Old December 7, 2002, 06:04 PM   #3
Timothy

Madison is correct about leaving some space between the shell holder and the bottom of the die when using carbide dies. I never really come close because I size only that portion of the brass that accomodates the bullet. Why work brass that doesn't need sized. At least I have not had any problems.
Here is what I do: Lay the bullet beside the brass on your bench and open your calipers to the desired OAL. Now slide the bullet forward or backward till the bullet and brass (laying side by side)are equal to the OAL setting on your calipers. With a fine magic marker, mark where the base of the bullet would be when seated. Now you know approximately how much of the case to resize. Take another brass and make several lines with your marker on it from case mouth to rim. When you run the case up into the die the marker will rub off where the sizing has taken place. Compare this brass with the sample you measured, go just a little further toward the rim and your in business.
Works for me!
Old December 7, 2002, 06:32 PM   #4
Bill Adair

Almost twenty-five years late, but I've just started neck sizing my straight wall handgun brass, on advice from an amateur gun smith friend.

It works great for revolvers, as long as your chambers are all the same size, though all my revolvers have very close chamber diameters, so I can't say it wouldn't work for chambers that are a little uneven.

Since I use the same RCBS carbide dies for 38 and 357, I just added two of the old style aluminum lock rings under my sizing die (lock ring was set many years ago, and has not been touched since), and that puts them right on the money, and still allows me to add the spacer ring when 38 neck sizing.

The reloaded cartridges look much better without that old coke bottle figure from full length resizing, and no doubt the brass will last longer. Seems to seal the chambers a little better as well, but that may be an illusion as I started with new cases, and have only two or three cycles on them.

Cases just drop out of my 357 cylinders, even with heavy H110 reloads.

Bill