The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 24, 2015, 10:58 AM   #1
tpcollins

Ultradot 30mm versus 1" FOV difference

I have the 1" Ultradot mounted on my 10g a turkey gun. For whatever reason, H&R put the mounts halfway down the barrel so it sits about 18" from my eye.

Just wondering if the FOV for the 30mm model would be minimal or significant? Thanks.
Old February 24, 2015, 11:16 AM   #2
Pahoo

FOV; Advantage !!!

Quote:
Just wondering if the FOV for the 30mm model would be minimal or significant?
It really depends on how you anchor and shoot. Now then because your mount is further from your eye, it may not make a big difference. Personally I prefer and recommend the 30MM but that's mostly due to they fact that there are more of them. That being said, I find it hard to get use to the 40MM. ...

Quote:
For whatever reason, H&R put the mounts halfway down the barrel so it sits about 18" from my eye.
I know it may be hard to understand and get use to but this is for your advantage, for the same reason your mentioned about the FOV. If you aim with one eye closed, it won't make much difference but with both eyes open, you an really see it. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 24, 2015, 06:47 PM   #3
Snyper

If used correctly there will be little difference in what you see

"Correctly" means both eyes open all the time
Old February 24, 2015, 07:32 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

With no magnification, there is no "field of view" per se. Keep both eyes open and just see the dot. Use the dot. The only thing in the way of your view is the rim of the sight perimeter. It's very thin and should just be ignored. Red dots aren't like scopes. Snyper has it figured out.
Old February 24, 2015, 08:25 PM   #5
Pahoo

There is a field of view.

Quote:
With no magnification, there is no "field of view" per se.
Well, there is a field of view regardless of the power. I have a few rifle and pistol scopes with the power of "1" and there is a field of view and not just because it's stated one the box. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old February 25, 2015, 06:29 AM   #6
tpcollins

I've learned to use my Ultradot with both eyes open - just like shooting my bow.
But I'm left eye dominant and shoot everything right handed. For bowhunting I use the set of double pins on the left.

Just wondering if the 30mm would help minimize the left eye always wanting to take over the view . . .
Old February 25, 2015, 07:20 AM   #7
Snyper

Quote:
Just wondering if the 30mm would help minimize the left eye always wanting to take over the view . . .
I doubt you'll perceive any difference from a 1" model.

It's only 5mm larger
Old February 25, 2015, 08:30 AM   #8
NoSecondBest

Check this out for a brief explanation of how to use a red dot and the difference between scope "field of view" vs what you see with a dot.
If some people haven't used them much, if at all, it might help with their understanding.
http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/whyreddotsight/