The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Slugo

broke down and bought a Baikal O/U...

It's a Russian built IZH27 Baikal, 20 guage O/U. After having inspected the gun thoroughly at the shop, I discovered this thing comes through with chrome lined chambers and (hammer forged) chrome lined barrels, mechanical triggers, trigger activated barrel selector switch, real hand checkering, Browning style box-lock action, uses standard Tru-Choke tubes and fairly nice oil rubbed walnut furniture. Fit and finish, what do you expect, it's Russian!! This answers the question; can you buy a new O/U for less than $1000 bucks! Yes, you can get one at half that price. I bought this one for $300 bucks!!

also added a pair of Colonial IC extended choke tubes...

Old February 11, 2013, 02:02 AM   #2
jason_iowa

How close do the barrels shoot though?
Old February 11, 2013, 02:21 AM   #3
Slugo

Like any other O/U...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old February 11, 2013, 12:37 PM   #4
k511

i also have one of these...mine was imorted by remington as the SPR series...got mine for 300
Old February 11, 2013, 04:31 PM   #5
BigJimP

I'm going to be really curious ---

a. If those barrels are regulated properly and point of impact is the same for both barrels....??

b. If its prone to "doubling" ...like I've seen a lot of them do at my club....

c. How its doing after you've put 250 boxes thru it ...( 6,250 shells ) or so .....see how tight it is, do you have any trigger issues, etc....
--------------
I keep hoping there is an O/U out there that I can recommend to new shooters that is under $1,000..../ but color me skeptical ...
Old February 11, 2013, 04:41 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

And after you just bought that nice Browning Twelvette

how COULD you do this?!?!?!.....

Your other guns won't allow it in the safe, you know that, right? They'll make you hide it a dark corner of the closet..........
Old February 11, 2013, 06:54 PM   #7
BigJimP

If you needed a "club" ... you couldn't just buy a baseball bat ....
Old February 11, 2013, 07:06 PM   #8
dalecooper51

I probably would have dropped $300 on it as well.

Is there any cast to the stock?
Old February 11, 2013, 07:26 PM   #9
jmortimer

Kind of off topic, but some of the SASS shooters use the Baikal SXS and it supposedly has reputation for depenability and durability. Assuming it is true, I am going to get one.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Slugo

as for the barrels, you are getting confused due to the fact that the center rib covers allot of the barrels on each side. They're no further apart than any other O/U. As for the cast, who knows and who cares. I will shoot the gun once or twice, then it will be relegated to loaner status, my son and/or friends. I use five different target guns myself. Three Brownings and two Benellis...
Old February 11, 2013, 10:18 PM   #11
boattale

My grandson won one of those last year at a Turkey banquet. We can all hit with it but sometimes the safety goes on all by itself when you fire the first barrel. That's somewhat of a PITA.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:31 AM   #12
idek

I've shot one of those, and the stock was cast off. Being a lefty, I'd have preferred it wasn't. Seemed rugged, but kind of heavy/bulky for a 20 gauge (for upland purposes anyway)
Old February 12, 2013, 09:15 AM   #13
Slugo

hey, like I said. I got it for a good price, it's a solid gun with allot of features only found on more expensive guns. made by the same factory that produces the AK-47 for the Russian military. What can be wrong, just ain't as pretty or smooth operating as a B-gun...
Old February 12, 2013, 11:17 AM   #14
BigJimP

Ok, so we agree....its the 15 yr old ...mini-van in his safe...
( can't let the kids borrow the B guns, I get it ) ....

-----------
But seriously ....and I know you under barrel regulation....but put a full choke in each of the barrels and test the point of impact on each one. I've seen some of the Baikals, Huglu's, etc ....where one barrel is high and left about
10 inches and 2nd barrel is low right another 10 inches.../ and that would make it a hard gun to shoot...
-----------
the safety locking out the trigger even though it wasn't touched...
guns doubling ( firing both barrels at once )...
ribe falling off the barrel...
firing pins breaking...

all of those are common issues on these guns too. A local shop used to sell them ...but after a year or so, he saw all but one or two come back in for a variety of warranty work - and it took several months to get some of them back from the service center...so it was too big a hassle for him / and he quit selling them...

but maybe you'll get lucky with this one ...or at least I hope you do ...( 15 yr old mini van...is a good tool for the kids )...
Old February 12, 2013, 11:26 AM   #15
RedBowTies88

Subscribed for more info..

Looking into one of their .410 SxS's
Old February 12, 2013, 02:54 PM   #16
80viking

I bought a Remington SPR310 about a month ago. It shot well but the action was very stiff and the auto saftey was a pia. So..... a little research on the internet and I found out that by cutting 5 or 6 coils off the extractor springs, and you now have a Berreta like action, and if you want to eject instead of just extract the shells will go 4 feet instead of 12 feet.

As for the auto safety, you remove a bar that goes between the safety and the part that cocks the hammers when you open the action, and no more auto saftey.

Ya, these guns are built like a tank, its Russian.

I had to completly cover the the clay bird with straight away targets, so I added a 1/2" stick-on riser from Brownells. Now it shoots more like a trap gun.

Last week I shot a 24 with it. My highest score ever.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:14 PM   #17
dalecooper51

Quote:
. As for the cast, who knows and who cares.
I did which is why I asked. Sorry if I offended you, but I saw a few 410 versions for sale online and shooting lefty, I was asking someone that obviously had first hand experience with the gun. Guess it was too much for a civil answer.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:00 PM   #18
BigD_in_FL

Cast is what separates the wannabe guns from the good ones. Folks need either cast off (RH) or cast on (LH) and there is no magic singular number. Another factor is the comb - (drop, thickness), toe in or out, pitch, etc.

It is what separates the champions at the shoot and the rest
Old February 13, 2013, 05:35 PM   #19
BigJimP

Most of the Baikals I've seen at the club ...and have shouldered...had some cast to the right - on them.....but they weren't consistent from gun to gun...the quality of these guns ( and not to pick on our buddy Slugo ) ...was dismal, in my opinion.

The last one we were trying to evaluate - one of the members, that doesn't shoot a lot, bought one for his girlfriend to shoot/ it was used and cheap - a 20ga version ...and it had quite a bit of cast to the right ( so it was Cast Off ) ...and it was too much for this lady...

When we took it to the pattern board ...with some full chokes in it ...both barrels were hitting spots about 15" apart ...one was high, one was low...and one was to the left one was to the right ...about all we could suggest was to consider having the stock "bent" a little - and see if that helped ...but I think he sold it...and cut his losses - because the last time I saw her, she was shooting a gas operated semi-auto ...
Old February 14, 2013, 06:43 AM   #20
dalecooper51

Thanks Jim.
Old February 16, 2013, 09:55 AM   #21
03Shadowbob

I have one in 12ga and the stock is very thin and prone to breaking nearest the receiver. Mine broke on me. Other than that pattern was ok but far from excellent. I decided to chop it down to 18.5" and turn it into another HD gun
Old February 16, 2013, 06:07 PM   #22
k511

mine has over 800 rounds through it...got it for my girlfriend who wanted a O/U....hasnt give us any problems, and she shoots it pretty darn good...it is a little heavy, but being a 12ga, and my lady being small it helps with the recoil i think....overall was a great purchase for 300 IMO
Old February 17, 2013, 04:58 AM   #23
Slugo

broke down and bought a Baikal O/U...

I have run a couple of hundred rounds through mine without any problems. For 300 bucks how can go wrong. I bought two IC colonial chokes for the gun. No problem crushing clays.