The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 10:58 PM   #1
BKH

Gun and Ammo prices up?

I talked to a friend in TN today. I was told that he couldn't find .223 for less than $1.15 a pop (where he could find it). I then asked some family in Utah if they were having any similar problems, and I was told that gun and ammo prices had gone up significantly. They couldn't buy more than two boxes of ammo at any store in the area, because there just wasn't enough to go around. When I got off of the phone, I had to look around for myself. Some shops in my area have less than half of their usual selection of guns AND ammo. I know a lot has been going on this year, but did I miss something?
Old January 29, 2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Did you take your nap ... just after the 2008 election?

Old January 29, 2013, 11:50 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

Nah, didn't miss a thing, just the 2nd Amendment may be about gone, is all.

Join the NRA and join the fight for your rights !
Old January 30, 2013, 12:07 AM   #4
nazshooter

Welcome back Rumpelstiltskin

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old January 30, 2013, 12:30 AM   #5
cslinger

you might want to know that the arabs and israelis seem to be going through a bit of a tiff too probably blow right over

Seriously sandy hook massacre, God bless them all, triggered lots of legislation and lots of buying .
Old January 30, 2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yes, you missed the MANY threads at TFL on this very subject.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

You missed the Mayan and Zombie Apocalypses. Joe Biden is banning 8-tracks in cars and Betamax dirty movies.

Oh, let's stop being funny - or NOT?
Old January 30, 2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Joe Biden is banning 8-tracks in cars and Betamax dirty movies.
He can have my Cat Stevens 8-tracks when he pries them from my cold, dead hands! What part of "where's the beef" does he not understand?

Believe it or not, folks, there are some folks who don't follow developments in the gun culture on a day-to-day basis like we do. Case in point: a neighbor of mine went in with us on a bulk ammo deal back in 2003. He doesn't shoot much, so he really didn't make a dent in it until recently.

So, yes, 2013 was the first time he'd shopped for ammunition in 10 years. He was a bit surprised, to say the least.
Old January 30, 2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Jimboski

I read a news article the other day that said: police departments/law enforcement agencies are short on ammo and rifles, and manufacturers are back ordered for atleast 1 year!
Old January 31, 2013, 11:08 PM   #10
BKH

Yea, I'm not that behind. I watched the news following the events in Connecticut, and the explosion of debates on gun control. There comes a point where you can no longer watch people that don't know anything about guns, gun laws, or gun safety - bash guns, gun owners, and the second amendment. so I didn't watch the news or read the paper for about a week. Now there are a few more reasons for me to never move to NY, and everything is expensive as all hell, and people are really scared that the government is going to systematically take everyone's guns. I think that's a stretch, but I keep hearin it.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:35 AM   #11
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

BKH, for the anti-gunners, in Congress and out, this may very well be their last "Hurrah."

If they don't get something passed, this may well be the sunset of gun control. Doesn't mean they will ever stop, just that their shrill shrieks will no longer resonate with the general public.

If you've browsed the General Discussion forum and the Law & Civil Rights forum, you will have seen scads of threads on this very subjects.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:29 AM   #12
shafter

I highly doubt that the anti's are anywhere near being through. America's gun culture shrinks all the time while the anti's ranks are being swelled by people who will vote in whichever way they are told.

When the government tells us we can't buy hi-cap mags anymore...we won't

When the government tells us we can't buy "assault" style weapons...we won't.

When they tell us we can't buy single shot rimfires or ammunition...we won't

When they tell us to turn in our weapons and ammo...we will.

American's are used to complying with government orders these days even though we are in complete disagreement with their constitutionality. The majority of American gun owners only shoot occassionaly and won't break the law and risk their careers to save a few firearms. The antis know they need to just keep nibbling away one bite at a time.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:45 AM   #13
dajowi

What's troubling is the fact that it's pointed out by both pro-gun and anti-gun
proponents, that the majority of firearms crimes are committed with handguns not "assault weapons." We may be our own worst enemy.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:09 PM   #14
Technosavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter
America's gun culture shrinks all the time
I think your premise here is incorrect.

It isn't shrinking. It's expanding by leaps and bounds. Why else do you think there's such a rush to buy anything? It isn't folks with large stockpiles; we're already well equipped. It's people who finally realized that they may want to exercise their rights.

The anti-gun forces are rallying every last bit of strength because they've been steadily losing ground in most places in the US for the last ten to fifteen years. Only in places like CA and NY do they hold any real sway. Everywhere else there's advancements like shall issue CCW. Guns were removed from Walmart and now brought back. Being interested in guns and being an NRA member no longer marks you as some wacky survivalist type, the people signing up for CCW classes and filling out 4473s are just as likely to be soccer moms and schoolteachers as anybody else. The federal AWB was not renewed ten years back and it's looking more and more like they'll fail in using the blood of innocent children to get a new one instated. We have even seen SCOTUS declare the Second Amendment to be an individual right. None of this was even remotely thinkable twenty years ago.

Sure, the news media is hammering stuff right and left. Why is that? It's because they're losing, they know they're losing, and they are left with nothing but emotional appeals for new laws since they get whupped in a straight up logical debate.

We're not losing. Far from it. We're winning like never before.
Old February 2, 2013, 02:56 PM   #15
shafter

Quote:
I think your premise here is incorrect.

It isn't shrinking. It's expanding by leaps and bounds. Why else do you think there's such a rush to buy anything? It isn't folks with large stockpiles; we're already well equipped. It's people who finally realized that they may want to exercise their rights.
I think we're both partly correct. Gun sales are waayy through the roof right now and that's partly due to alot of current gun owners. Look at all the people from these boards who are making early morning runs to walmart to grab whatever they are lucky enough to find. On the other hand there are a lot of new gun owners but how many of them are just buying a handgun or AR because it may be illegal? I'd bet most of the new gun owners won't use them much at all.

So, even though there are lots of new shooters to the sport I think (no research to back it up) that the growth of the gun culture is much less than the overall growth of the population of the country.

We may be winning fights but each fight involves compromise which takes away a bit more of our rights each time. I don't foresee good things in the future for gun owners.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

Sports gun culture might be slowing but self-defense gun culture seems to be doing quite well.

I don't think that has been broken down yet but the increased sales of handguns suggests it.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:56 PM   #17
Technosavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter
We may be winning fights but each fight involves compromise which takes away a bit more of our rights each time. I don't foresee good things in the future for gun owners.
I dunno, I still disagree. Where I live I see nothing but an unbroken string of successes lately. If you live in someplace that tends to be more restrictive with gun laws, you may have a very different experience.

The people buying guns ARE interested in the politics of things; they're writing legislators and joining in the discussion. They are signing up for CCW classes, getting permits, and carrying. They're joining the NRA and standing up for our rights. At least, the ones I've seen are.

They aren't people buying a hunting rifle, getting a deer permit, and trading away politically incorrect firearms thinking that nobody's ever going to come for their over/unders and Remington 700s.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:11 PM   #18
berettaprofessor

Wow...what rock were you hiding under? Been on an oil rig for 6 months?
Old February 2, 2013, 09:36 PM   #19
Joe_Pike

Quote:

I think you have clearly underestimated millions of gun owners.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:47 AM   #20
BKH

Quote:
The anti-gun forces are rallying every last bit of strength because they've been steadily losing ground in most places in the US for the last ten to fifteen years. Only in places like CA and NY do they hold any real sway.
Yup. I guess that makes me that much luckier to live in CA...

I wouldn't know about sales for self defense, but I do know there has been a lot more people showing up to USPSA matches in the Sacramento area. Most of them under 30.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:02 PM   #21
Technosavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKH
I wouldn't know about sales for self defense, but I do know there has been a lot more people showing up to USPSA matches in the Sacramento area. Most of them under 30.
I rather strongly suspect that the younger folks getting into guns are doing so in the less politically correct disciplines- handguns, tactical style rifles, practical shooting competitions over hunting and traditional clay games, etc. It seems as though this is one reason why these new shooters tend to be more politically active- they have discovered a whole new world and nearly immediately somebody is trying to take it away from them.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:55 PM   #22
copglock

Ammo...........

Will the ammo manufacturers ever catch up with demand, or is this something we will have to live with from here on out!!!!!!!
Old February 3, 2013, 10:12 PM   #23
testuser

They'll catch up, eventually...last time it took about a year for the ammo market to get back to normal, at least some version of normal. If 2009 is any indication, then when supply does return, ammo prices will come down, but not to the same level as they were before the panic.

If you plan to shoot in any quantity, then start looking into a press. Don't just consider the current price of ammo, also consider what the future price of ammunition might be. Components are sure to increase in price, but not nearly as fast as factory rounds.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:21 AM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

There is a sufficient supply of 45 ACP around here but we are limited to buy one box at a time. Got a 100 today. Quite a bit of 223 this morning but buying one box of 20 at time is a pain. 9 and 22 - people are camping out overnight to buy the stuff by the big box store. That's a little out there.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:45 PM   #25
shafter

Quote:

I think you have clearly underestimated millions of gun owners.
I sure hope I'm wrong!

Anyway, haven't made my weekly rounds of the LGS's. I'll report back later on the current situation in the north east.