The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Contrast Man

Crimping Issue?

I'm relatively new to reloading but I'm having a concerning issue. I'll complete a round but when I apply a bit of pressure to the bullet, it sinks right down into the case. I'm assuming this is a crimping issue, but I'm not sure.

I'm reloading 9mm with 115gr Berry's plated flat nose. I'm using the Hornady Taper crimp and Seating die.

Do I need to increase the crimp on the round or is there a different issue here?
Old December 12, 2012, 05:09 PM   #2
schmellba99

At first blush, sounds like you need to increase the crimp.

Take you calipers and measure the case mouth of one of your loaded rounds and see if it is within spec or not. If it is not, slowly increase crimp until you have good neck tension and are within tolerance.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:17 PM   #3
serf 'rett

Will a bullet push into a sized case?

I've had zero problems with the Berrys 9mm.

Also wondering if you are trying to seat and crimp in one step? Try seating first then come back and remove the case mouth expansion in a separate step.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:21 PM   #4
rg1

You're not sizing the case down enough to grip the bullet. Could be your die isn't on spec, could be thinner than normal case walls, or very possibly could be your bullets are below the correct diameter. No matter how much you crimp you will not get the tension needed to properly and SAFELY hold the bullets. Measure your die carbide ring, measure your bullets, mike the inside diameter of your sized cases. This is a very dangerous safety issue. A bullet that could be pushed deep into the case while chambering will greatly increase your pressure and even if it isn't pushed deeper a loose bullet fit in the brass can cause very erratic velocity and could even cause a blooper where the bullet gets stuck in the barrel. The primer itself can start the bullet down the barrel without the powder igniting and getting consistent pressure. Don't shoot any of them until you find out the problem with loose bullet tension!!!
Old December 12, 2012, 05:22 PM   #5
serf 'rett

It is possible to apply to much pressure during crimping and slightly deform the case, resulting in a loose bullet.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Contrast Man

Good question, never thought of that. Just checked it and I am able to fully push a bullet into a just a sized case.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:08 PM   #7
dickttx

It is most likely a slightly oversize expander.
As mentioned above, the crimp will not cure that and may make it worse.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:33 PM   #8
jag2

It really does sound like you have a problem with either the die or the way it is set up. What kind of die is it and is it new or used. I would suggest you reread the instructions for step one (how far down you screw the die) but also remove the spindle with the expander ball. If your bullet will still go in so easily then the sizing die is not doing its job. Also, is the brass new or used, all the same maker? These answers may not solve your problem but should at least steer us in the right direction. Its just a process of elimination.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:52 PM   #9
serf 'rett

What is your bullet diameter? Of the 8K Berry's I've load in the last two years, I haven't encountered an undersized bullet.

Just to be clear. You are using a three die set- sizing die, expanding die and seating/crimp die. You take cases and size them; however, you are able to press a bullet into the sized case prior to using the second die to expand the case mouth?

Are you sure the sizing die is for 9mm?
Old December 13, 2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Contrast Man

Problem solved!

Hi everyone and THANK YOU for the quick replies and great advise. I took everything apart and reset every single die and I believe the culprit was the spindle in the sizing die.

The way I had it set up initially had the spindle extending dramatically far from the end of the die instead of the specified 3/16ths. Taking the spindle back up to the proper length caused the cases not to deprime, however the depth of the die body was not set properly either.

With everything reset I am able to produce dummy rounds that do not do anything when squeezed. Even putting it in a tray and pushing down on it, no change in OAL.

Its things like this that make me so happy to be a part of a forum as amazing as this. Thanks!
Old December 13, 2012, 04:52 AM   #11
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrast Man
The way I had it set up initially had the spindle extending dramatically far from the end of the die instead of the specified 3/16ths. Taking the spindle back up to the proper length caused the cases not to deprime, however the depth of the die body was not set properly either.
The sizing die not being screwed all the way down was the problem. The decapping pin doesn't have anything to do with sizing 9mm cases. Whoever mentioned that was probably thinking about the expander ball used on the decapping rod for bottleneck rifle cartridges.