The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 3, 2012, 11:44 PM   #1
damo450

Super Redhawk 2.5" black with target grey cylinder in 480???

Hello everyone (anyone?!) I was recently at the local gunshop and found a 2.5" barrel super redhawk in .480. The gun has a box but the label is very worn and I can't make out the original factory markings.

It seems to be an alaskan(ish) with a black almost cerakote looking finish with the ruger target grey cylinder. It has an outstanding fiber optic front sight that has to be factory.

That being said I am turning to my first gun forum for anyone who has seen a pistol like this. I have searched high and low for Lipsey's or talo special runs with no luck. I was originally going to order a super blackhawk with the 3.75" barrel and bisley grips, while the ejector rod issue is a little upsetting to me I gotta have that pistol. That being said this SRH threw a wrench in my plans. THis is my first post so any help is much appreciated!
Old October 4, 2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum.

Is that a 5-shot or 6-shot? Very few of the 5-shots were made and all were the Alaskan (barrel just about even with the front of the frame).

Are there scallops for a scope mount in the frame? The Alaskan model (2.5" barrel) did not have the scallops. Only the 7.5" and 9.5" Super Redhawks have the scallops.

If it has the scallops, you have a gun that was probably shortened by a gunsmith after the gun left Ruger's factory and the finish on the frame likely applied at the same time.

Got pictures?

If it is a 5-shot, grab it up. Stronger and rarer. I have been wanting one in 7.5" barrel ever since they came out, but unfortunately, none of those were ever made.

Lost Sheep
Old October 4, 2012, 12:25 PM   #3
damo450

To

Lost sheep: thank you. It is a 6 shot with scope mounts. I was pretty sure it was a gunsmith job but man is it good. The front sight is impeccable. Can't imagine how much that would cost to have done. The gun has been shot for sure but not carried. They also have a target grey std .480 in the 7 1/2" for $499. Which I believe is also a good buy.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Webleymkv

If the gun has scallops for scope rings, then it is almost certainly not in factory configuration (though it does sound as though it was nicely done). If you can get it at a good price, I see no reason why it wouldn't make a good shooter, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it over another SRH.
Old October 4, 2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Tinner666

That sounds like a nice find. I'd go for it in a heartbeat if I had some disposable cash handy.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:00 PM   #6
laytonj1

Quote:
It is a 6 shot with scope mounts
Alaskans did not come with scope mount cutouts. I'm pretty sure they did not come in target grey either. And they were marked "Alaskan" on the barrel.
Sounds like a SRH that has been refinished and it's barrel shortened.
I'd be very leary.

Jim
Old October 4, 2012, 10:46 PM   #7
damo450

They are asking $650 for the gun. I argued with them today that it was NOT a factory gun. Some people just cannot accept being wrong, even if they are.

Same shop owner also told me he had a custom Rem. 700 in .308 for me. Which was actually an old VLS in .308. Someone had taken a dremel tool and cut out the blind box then added an after market removable box mag. Also barrel that had been chopped off and put back on with the remington factory warnings on the bottom side where the stock almost covered it up. But he said it was an "aftermarket" barrel. When I pointed this out to him he turned and walked away. Not sure I am welcome there any longer.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Venom1956

Doesn't sound like I'd even want to shop there ever... bail. ****ty Gunstores deserve to be ignored.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 5, 2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Webleymkv

That shop doesn't sound like they're entirely honest and, as such, I wouldn't advise buying a gun that has been customized from them as they'd be unlikely to tell you about flaws in the work.
Old October 6, 2012, 04:05 PM   #10
RsqVet

My guess whenever I see a shop with too many hack jobs like that I figure they are the one doing them to make busted or hacked guns salable.

An honest shop will almost always stay away from junk like that as they so do not want the liability of selling it, and are smart enough to see the defects on trade. A poor shop will try and sell it.

Who knows but it's really not worth even caring, run far and fast
Old October 6, 2012, 11:04 PM   #11
22-rimfire

Quote:
Lost sheep: thank you. It is a 6 shot with scope mounts. I was pretty sure it was a gunsmith job but man is it good. The front sight is impeccable. Can't imagine how much that would cost to have done. The gun has been shot for sure but not carried. They also have a target grey std .480 in the 7 1/2" for $499. Which I believe is also a good buy.
At $650 for the shortened SRH, it's your call. I know I would be pretty interested. But I would be very interested in the 7 1/2" SRH for $500 if it is in good shape and most are.
Old October 8, 2012, 01:13 AM   #12
Lost Sheep

The fiber optic sight: Standard Redhawks and Super Redhawks came with interchangeable front sights from the factory. You push a spring-loaded plunger and lift the sight out. Fiber optic inserts are available aftermarket but I don't know if any are available from Ruger.

Some very good gunsmiths do good work on shortening barrels and trimming excess weight from SRH frames. Putting the original front sight on the shortened barrel is a little trickier, so often is skipped in favor of a pinned sight. Which do you have, one pinned in place or one with a spring plunger allowing user replacement? If the latter, the gunsmith was probably good enough that his work would be worth having.

You might consider making a wager with the gun store. If they can get a letter from Ruger confirming this gun shipped from the factory in this configuration, you will pay their asking price. If not, $500. Just a thought.

I just came from a gun show this afternoon where I made some decent trades. Some 338 RCBS dies I would never use, for binoculars that I will. A full-flap Bianchi holster for $35. My bargaining juices are still flowing.

Lost Sheep