The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Doodlebugger45

Encouraging development on some components

I just placed an order from Cabela's that included 300 new pieces of brass for Winchester 45 Long Colt. I just started reloading in February and it has been an adventure to get each and every piece of equipment and all the components. At this point, I have only reloaded for pistol calibers, mostly 38 and 357. I managed to get lucky awhile back and score 2000 small pistol primers and 1000 large pistol primers and all the powder, bullets that I will need for awhile for those calibers. I had also managed to find bullets for my 45 Colt, but NO brass at all. I happened to have about 50 used pieces of brass for that, so I could at least get some experience with that caliber in handloading. I would go out and shoot 25 rounds or so, bring the cases back and load them up again and try again next week. No way was I going to shoot up the last 40 rounds of factory ammo.

For the past few months nobody around had any new 45 Colt brass at all. Whenever I would check online, the various websites (including Cabela's) would tell me it was a 1-2 week backorder (or longer). That would have been OK if I believed it would be that soon.

Today for the first time EVER for me, Cabela's actually CLAIMS they have new Winchester brass IN STOCK right now.

I don't shoot nearly as much as a lot of people around here co I only ordered 300 pieces for the 45 Colt. That will do me just fine. Now I can go out and shoot my 50-100 rounds on a weekend without having to figure on another reloading session before I can go out again.

I think this is a positive development and I'm hoping it signals greater availability for everything else before too long.
Old May 11, 2009, 03:30 PM   #2
That'll Do

Glad to hear some good news.

I too think we'll slowly start to see the return of various components. Just today I visited a local shop and they had a rather large amount of primers of all sizes. While they didn't have all the brands they normally do, it was nice to see that the shelves weren't bare.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:16 PM   #3
dipper

I really haven't had any trouble getting reloading components.
In the last 2 weeks, I have purchased VV N110 powder delivered to my door today, LR, SR, and SP primers, Hornady XTP .357 Bullets in 158 and 125 GR.,various sizes Nosler BT and Accubond bullets, and some assorted brass.
I had to go to some suppliers that I never used before ( but will in the future) but I had no trouble locating components.
If you look around, components are available.....
And, prices were fair considering the current "shortages".
Old May 11, 2009, 07:28 PM   #4
The_Vigilante

Encouraging development on some components

dipper,

So where did you end up getting all of your primers? Or is that a secret?
Old May 11, 2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Casimer

I'd be interested in any tips as well. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I haven't had much luck.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:59 PM   #6
ForneyRider

The online places are filling back orders as they can. You can go on the back order or shop around.

Check all the reloading forums for people that want to trade, etc.

I pick stuff up from gun store from time to time, but try to use local reloading place, and their prices have gone up.

Most of the gun ranges, I frequent, sell components. These are privately owned in Texas. Not sure if other regions' public ranges do the same. I don't remember the munipical one in Anchorage, AK selling anything.

Typically, the local gun shows have lot of stuff here. Not sure how the primer prices are, but I buy bulk bullets, powder, boxes and brass at gun shows to get bulk price and not pay shipping or haz mat.

I've bought brass on Craig's list a few times. Always new and excellent.