The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2020, 09:47 PM   #26
std7mag

I had just gotten some Starline 223 Rem brass from Blue Collar Reloading.

I was surprised at the trouble i had running in my RCBS full length sizing die!
Had to chamfer & deburr before they would feed smoothly into the die.
Yes, they were lubed...
Had 2 out of 100 that needed trimmed.
Interior deburr of the flash holes was rough also.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 5, 2020, 08:09 AM   #27
reinert

FWIW: I use their 45/90 (2.4) brass for B.P.C.R. reloads, and the Starline folks recommend annealing their stiffer brass before usage. Might be something to consider when resizing (?). Kind of funny, but a reloaded .223 round will drop into a 45/90 case completely.
Old July 5, 2020, 08:50 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

Reinert,

You planning to shoot those cases as bullets?

Sako2,

I was thinking of this stuff, but don't see it available currently. Maybe if you search all the usual suspects you will find a box somewhere.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 5, 2020, 09:19 AM   #29
reinert

.45 sabot?

Ha! U.N., might could figure out a .45 cal. sabot for that application (BIG paper patch?). Geeze, what a thought... Could really seat that sucker out there in a 32" barrel; could use a true 90+ grn. charge of 1.5 Swiss, besides!

Call it the .223/2.4 B.P.S. (black powder special)? Now that'd be a wildcat! (maybe a puma). Or maybe just drop the "P" and make it the B.S. Ha!
Old July 5, 2020, 09:55 AM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

Hmm. Maybe 1Fg would be a good choice for my old 257-40mm wildcat concept. Have to work up really gradually, though.

I don't expect Petersen, ADG, or Starline to pick it up anytime soon, though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 257-40 mm Short and WBY.jpg (31.2 KB, 185 views)
Old July 5, 2020, 10:38 AM   #31
sako2

Yeah I could buy ammo. Not hearing to many good things about hornady or nosler brass.
Old July 5, 2020, 10:43 AM   #32
Unclenick
Staff

Hornady is softest, so it would show your smearing most easily, I think.
Old July 5, 2020, 11:08 AM   #33
std7mag

Where's the belt on the 257-40mm WBY?

Old July 6, 2020, 01:18 PM   #34
Unclenick
Staff

The parent case doesn't have one, so it has to be fire-formed into the case, leaving a rebated rim. I am showing only newly formed brass here.
Old July 16, 2020, 12:53 PM   #35
reinert

FWIW...again...

Got my new 50 count of Peterson '06 cases, which were nicely boxed with a hinged, MTM type plastic container. They're annealed nicely, and after I ran them through the f.l. resizer, they ALL measured @ 2.385" (plus-minus less than .001" on some). Every case had very near the same "feel" of "squeeze" as they were run through the sizer, very lightly lubed; I was quite impressed at the uniformity. AFAIC, no trimming needed whatsoever on these, and I won't run them with the pocket nor flash hole uniformers, either. They do get chamfered and deburred, though, as they should, and they're ready to reload and get fire-formed.

Working the new "Pete's" were very similar to the new, unfired, f.l. sized Lapua '06 cases I have on hand. The Lapua cases I have, and after f.l. sizing, all measured @ near 2.385," too, with a plus minus of .003" on some. Otherwise, they were all very uniform and compared well to the new Peterson's. I don't pocket nor flash hole uniform on the Lapua's, either, but do properly deburr and champher, and they're ready to reload and get fire-formed.

Now, on the other hand as a comparison... and FWIW,

Just a week ago, I got a 50 count bag of new WW cases in .270 WSM. I went through all of those starting with f.l. resizing, too. ALL of them had a different "feel" to the "squeeze" running through the sizer, and I had to make sure I had enough lube on them as I did the job (needed quite a bit more lube on these than I did on the Pete's and Lapuas). When it came to case length measurement, the whole lot varied from min. trim length of 2.090," to 2.11" (.001" over max.). So, I trimmed the whole lot @ 2.090" (luckily, the shortest cases were right at trim length). These cases all got their primer pockets and flash holes uniformed after trimming, then champhered and deburred. They all did load up nicely though, nonetheless, and are awaiting their fire-forming.

Just a little comparison here as to brass brands, new brass prep according to my method, and nothing more. My new Remington, Winchester, Federal and Starline cases, pretty much always get the full treatment of prep when I open a new bag. Just gotta do it.
Old July 18, 2020, 03:54 PM   #36
sako2

Lost 14 pieces of adg brass due to split necks after 6 firings. Some split during resizing. Primer pockets are still tight.
Old July 20, 2020, 08:53 AM   #37
std7mag

Anneal....

Old July 20, 2020, 03:48 PM   #38
sako2

I've been. Started annealing after every firing now.