The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 27, 2020, 10:43 AM   #1
TopShelfGuns

Steyr-Daimler Schoenauer Mod 1952 Scope?

First post here, already searched the forums and every logical facet of the internet and couldnt find any info on this. I have a Steyr-Daimler Schoenauer 1952 that I need a scope or scope rings for. Im finding them for similiar models but not this style of attachment. I can find pictures of this item with a scope but I cant find them for sale. Any knowledge anyone can give me in regards to this, or better yet a link to purchase rings or a scope would be great. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but it seemed like the best place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200123_150301.jpg (161.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200123_150240.jpg (128.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200123_150255.jpg (114.5 KB, 46 views)
Old January 27, 2020, 02:16 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

The brand of scope shouldn't matter. A .270 is a .270. I'd be thinking 3 to 9 or 2.5 to 8.
Don't know for sure, but it looks like it takes a proprietary mount. Not likely to be still made.
Try these guys. They seem to be the only game in any town.
https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/...ts.php?cat=279
Don't think this will help even a little, but it's info.
https://www.chuckhawks.com/mannlicher_1961-MCA.htm
Old January 28, 2020, 07:34 PM   #3
Scorch

European mounts are often made and sold by smallish companies, and generally NOT available in the USA. Redfield made a scope base for the MS 1952, but they are long obsolete. You might keep an eye out on Ebay for the mount you are looking for, that's where I had to go to get one for a customer. Expect to pay top dollar for a mount.
Old January 29, 2020, 09:32 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I no longer have the 1950s Stoegers to be sure, but I believe that to be the Steyr factory scope base set. I have no idea where to get rings.

A coworker had a Husqvarna with claw mount bases. As I recall, he had the rear claw mount removed and the gun drilled and tapped for US scope bases. The front claw mount was out on the barrel for a long scope, so it just sat empty under the new scope in Redfield rings.
Old February 3, 2020, 03:19 PM   #5
mapsjanhere

You have a German "Schwenkmontage" (swinging mount). You have a post under the front mount, you put the post into the hole with the scope at an angle, than swing in the scope until the lip on the front mount and a post at the back lock into the bases.
As Scorch said, these are typically small series designs, were hand fitted, and you're unlikely to find an exactly matching one. You can make one if you have access to a mill, having one made is probably cost prohibitive.

Tags
schoenauer , steyr-daimler