The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 21, 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
chrisintexas

Adding a manual thumb safety to Glocks

Which place/s specializes in adding manual thumb safety to Glocks?
Thanks
Old March 21, 2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Dragline45

If you want my opinion, if you prefer a safety ditch the Glock since you don't feel comfortable with the platform, and look into something with either a safety, a DA/SA trigger, or DAO. Adding a safety to a pistol not designed for one might compromise reliability. Personally I don't like Glocks because of the lack of a safety. My preferred method of carry is sewing a pocket inside my jeans to act as an IWB holster. All my jeans have this and I carry this way about 95% of the time. Because this is how I carry I have an aversion to Glocks and their lack of a safety. By the way if you are wondering why I do this and don't use a holster, I find holsters bulky and tend to ride too high, and believe me I have tried just about every style holster out there. This method is ultra concealable and just downright works for me. If my carry guns sat in a holster 100% of the time I would have no problem Glocks. But my guns don't sit in a holster all the time, sometimes it is just sitting out on the desk, in the glove box or center console, in a bag, etc. The Glock style safe action trigger is not a safety, and the trigger is not heavy enough for me to rely on nothing getting in that trigger guard and setting it off.
Old March 22, 2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

I'm not an expert, but I would suggest that you would be better off selling the Glock and using the proceeds to fund a gun that your are more comfortable with.

Overall, with a proper gun handling and carry in a proper holster, a Glock is a safe carry gun. I do understand that a lack of a safety can be a concern at first but remember, safety or not, the safety between your ears is the most important piece of safety equipment you own.
Old March 22, 2013, 06:38 AM   #4
K31Scout

Here ya go, no lecture from me.

Go to tenring.com/glock-pistol-work-2
Old March 22, 2013, 06:39 AM   #5
TMD

Yeah, sell it and buy a Sig. Oh wait, no manual safety there either.

Last edited by TMD; March 22, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old March 22, 2013, 06:47 AM   #6
K_Mac

As you can see, the idea of ADDING a safety to a gun is one that will draw some fire.

S&W MP pistols come with or without a manual safety. The Ruger SR series has one as well. These are both fine alternatives to the Glock IMO.
Old March 22, 2013, 06:49 AM   #7
Nathan

Thanks for the link. I knew somebody did that work.

As for the guys lecturing...Glocks are great guns, but they have taken their share of bad press in soft holsters, pockets, etc. a thumb safety would correct that.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:11 AM   #8
amd6547

...so would a proper holster.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:30 PM   #9
danez71

This is the guy that developed it.
http://cominolli.com/product_info.php?products_id=29

And here is a list of installers from his website.

http://cominolli.com/mSK%20Installer%20list.php

You can also buy a kit if youre feeling DIY about it.

And, No. It doesnt void the warranty.

I was thinking of buying a G26 and having it done but then the MP9c came out with the thumb safety and it felt better in my hand too.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:48 PM   #10
arch308

One of the things I love about the Glocks is the lack of a thumb safety. Adding one seems kind of silly to me but to each his own.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:41 AM   #11
ccwnut

I believe amd6547 and arch 308 hit the nail directly on the head! Glocks already have all the safeties you should ever need. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" So if you can live without a thumb safety, get a Glock.If however you can't, maybe try an M&P or something.
Personally, I think Glock offers the best of all worlds in a self-defense/LE gun. They have the widest range of calibers in the industry, they're hugely popular.
Need I even continue?
Old March 23, 2013, 05:11 AM   #12
wpsdlrg

So, the OP wants to add a thumb safety to the perfect Glock . I would never call anyone down for that.....just chuckle a little.

I guess he doesn't want to accidentally shoot himself....or someone else.

"Glock perfection".....THAT's the punch line !
Old March 23, 2013, 05:41 AM   #13
amd6547

Guns with manual safeties go off too, when mishandled by the owner.
I use a kydex holster which cost $35, with my Glock 26. It protects the trigger very well, and I use caution when I holster my Glock.
I am acutely aware that that my Glock will fire whenever the trigger is pulled. In fact, I rely on that.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:11 AM   #14
Ozzieman

Guys give the guy a break, he asked a simple question, not your personal opinion on if it’s dumb or not.
I find it amazing that if someone says anything about making a change to a Glock it’s becoming blasphemous around here.
A lot more people would buy Glocks it they offered one with a manual safety and I am sure Glock could make it just as perfect as a lot of you think the Glock is.
The Glock is a safe carry gun and very reliable as is. But I know a lot of people that spent decades carrying a 1911 and do so cocked and locked do not feel comfortable owning or carrying a Glock as is without a manual safety. That is the main thing it’s the opinion of the shooter not what Glock fans feel.
The thing that amazes me is that Glock has never offered a safety, imagine how much sales that would add if they offered it with and without. My guess (again my opinion) it could add 30 % sales. And for Glock that would be a chunk of change.
I own a G26 and its one of my favorite carry guns and a wizard to shoot. But I was one of those people that carried a 1911 for many years. I would have purchased the 26 with the safety had they offered it.
Good question chrisintexas didn’t know someone had a mod.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:47 AM   #15
Digger686

I'm certainly not anti-Glock by any stretch of the imagination (in fact I am currently on the lookout for a decent used Model 21).

With that point clarified, I will also freely admit that the Glock's built-in safeties are fine and work well. Up to a point!

Maybe I am just a traditionalist (or old fashioned) but I am always a bit uncomfortable when I think of carrying one of these pistols in a rig which does not enclose the trigger guard to prevent accidental access to the trigger.

For that reason alone, this seems like a perfectly reasonable mod to me.

According to the link posted above this does not alter the original fire control or safety mechanisms.

Sounds like a good bit of engineering!
Old March 23, 2013, 10:23 AM   #16
TailGator

Quote:
Maybe I am just a traditionalist (or old fashioned) but I am always a bit uncomfortable when I think of carrying one of these pistols in a rig which does not enclose the trigger guard to prevent accidental access to the trigger.
Whether you are old fashioned or the hippest guy in the 'hood, carrying a pistol with an active trigger without enclosing the trigger guard is a bad idea. I agree with you: a good holster is one solution; a thumb safety is another. Both solutions are legitimate. If you chose a thumb safety, changing brands or having a well-engineered safety properly installed are also both legitimate options.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:19 PM   #17
dajowi

I had a Glock 36 and had Alex at TenRing Precision install the safety, worked as advertised.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:38 AM   #18
loltraktor1918

When I bought my first Glock I was hesitant as it did not have a safety. So I used by CZ more. However, after I became comfortable with the Glock, I believed it to be not more dangerous than my revolvers, which also, do not have a safety. I ended up selling the CZ and now am comfortable carrying the Glocks. Certainly, comfortable enough that I will be buying 2 more glocks this year.

I did consider adding an aftermarket safety initially, but decided they were find the way they are.

I do not think adding the safety is a bad idea at all. Go with whatever your comfortable with. Who knows, I may add one in the future. I think now by biggest concern(although likely unwarranted) is fear that the person adding it may screw my gun up somehow.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:03 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

Glock manual safety add-ons, books....

I'm not a Glocker or own any Gaston Glock models at this time but if you want to learn more about custom Glock features & the merits/-s see:

www.glockworx.com www.glockstore.com www.customizeyourglock.com www.glockbooks.com www.boatmanbooks.com

The late Robert Boatman wrote at length about custom Glock features & add-ons saying in the end, it's better to keep it factory stock; .

As noted the Comolonoli(check spelling) safety is the most common.
I'd be fine with the Glock "safe-action" design. I used to adocate the NY-1 Glock trigger(as noted by gun writer/tactics trainer Massad Ayoob) but IMO, the Glock's safe engineering & robust design can be used factory stock.

CF
Old March 24, 2013, 11:38 PM   #20
okiewita40

Why add something that is not needed. If you want a manual safety. Sell the glock and buy a gun that has one already on it.

After carrying a glock on and off duty for the last 13 years. I have never even come close to to a ND.
Old March 25, 2013, 12:45 PM   #21
S_Constitutionist

Opinions on safeties aside, the Ruger SR9 is very similar while providing you with a factory safety. The S&W M&P is offered with an optional safety, as well.

I am a big believer in not monkeying with a defensive gun... it just may cost you your life.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:02 PM   #22
Spats McGee
Staff

I am not an engineer, by any stretch of the imagination. With that caveat out of the way, I would be leery of mechanically altering a firearm intended for HD or SD. My reasoning is that it doing so could contribute to a malfunction that would either: (1) cause it to go click when it ought to go bang; or (2) cause it to go bang when it ought to go click. Neither strikes me as a desireable result. If we're talking about a range gun, that's a different matter altogether.

If I were determined to have a gun with many of the same qualities as a Glock (reliability, decent capacity, polymer frame, what have you), I'd consider the following, all of which (I think) are available with thumb safeties:
  • XD/XDm/XDs/etc.;
  • SR series;
  • M&P series
Old March 25, 2013, 03:05 PM   #23
Skans

When I use my Glock, I don't keep a round chambered. For that reason, I stopped using my Glock, except for occasional home defense and long road trips. I just like a double-action trigger pull on that first round - completely personal preference.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:22 PM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

I carry my Glocks with +1 capacity. All the time. Any gun for serious SD or HD should be carried in that matter.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

Spats made a good recommendation on other firearms similar to the Glock that you might want to have a look at instead.

Then again, I don't carry any gun for SD or use one for HD duty that has an external safety on it.

If you want that you should train even more so. Either way you should train. But I'd stick to the no external safety.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:27 PM   #25
zincwarrior

Quote:
I believe amd6547 and arch 308 hit the nail directly on the head! Glocks already have all the safeties you should ever need. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" So if you can live without a thumb safety, get a Glock.If however you can't, maybe try an M&P or something.
Personally, I think Glock offers the best of all worlds in a self-defense/LE gun. They have the widest range of calibers in the industry, they're hugely popular.
Need I even continue?
Those with 1911s and DA/SAs might disagree with you.
As noted you have two options if you're not comfortable without a safety but like the Glock style:
1) swap out for an M&P or even a Springfield with its grip safety.
2) have a manual safety installed. Several have been noted. Here is another.
http://www.hankgun.com/hg_spec_glockthumb.htm
Closed Thread