The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 3, 2011, 05:08 PM   #1
.22rimfire

rifle cleaning .22

I just read you shouldn't clen a rifle barrell from the muzzle I have been doing this and have cleaned my rifle like this about 5 times is my barrel ruined and should I start cleaning from the breech
Old December 3, 2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Scorch

I seriously doubt you have ruined your barrel after cleaning from the muzzle end 5 times. Just start cleaning from the breech end.
Old December 3, 2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Amsdorf

The M1 Garand is cleaned from the muzzle to the chamber.

You can also consider a "pull through" system, such as Otis sells if you are uncomfortable cleaning muzzle to chamber.
Old December 3, 2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Blackshirts

The .22 isn't all that picky about having a clean bore anyway. I only clean my .22 bores about once a year and that is after thousands of rounds have gone through. I have never seen an accuracy drop off.
Old December 3, 2011, 08:04 PM   #5
.22rimfire

why

I just wonered why the bore is hurt when you clean from the muzzle to me it seems the same
Old December 3, 2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Dr Heckel

I believe it's more of a risk to damage the crown with the rod when cleaned from the muzzle. I use a Otis kit, bore snake or patchworm to clean my rifles. All of those are safe for the bore/crown and easy to use.
Old December 3, 2011, 08:43 PM   #7
wingman

I have a bore guide that fits on the end of barrel for my 10/22 keeps crown safe....
Old December 3, 2011, 09:46 PM   #8
Bamashooter

I clean my mini-14 from the muzzle when I dont use my bore snake. As long as your careful you will be fine.
Old December 3, 2011, 09:50 PM   #9
jimbob86

Quote:
I just wonered why the bore is hurt when you clean from the muzzle to me it seems the same
Metal rubbing on metal with crud between will wear the metal. It does not take much rubbing with a cleaning rod to wear the crown..... and the wear would not be even, which would be bad.....
Old December 3, 2011, 10:00 PM   #10
WWWJD

Definitely clean from the breech end when you can for the afore mentioned reasons. Nicking the crown is the biggest concern; it's the last surface the bullet touches before leaving the barrel, thus the most likely goof in the barrel to have an effect on accuracy. I have a few that just can't be cleaned this way, namely the Marlin 60. I just gingerly get the jag or brush started and make sure the end of the rod doesn't gouge it. I also use a fiberglass coated cleaning rod.

I guess the best thing I've done recently regarding cleaning is picking up a can of Wipe-Out. Foaming bore cleaner, it dissolves all that crap and makes multiple trips up and down the bore less frequent. There are numerous others that do the same thing, but that's what my local store has and it works.

Don't sweat it too much.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old December 3, 2011, 10:22 PM   #11
jimbob86

There are muzzle protectors (I have a brass "one size fits most" model) for guns like the model 60 ...... and I have a couple of Commie Milsurps that included a muzzle protector in the cleaning kit........

Tags
.22 , cleaning