The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 13, 1999, 02:34 AM   #1
Rob Pincus

This week I had the great pleasure of taking a course from Frank DiNuzzo, former NY State Trooper firearms instructor (head instructor). His course was extremely professional and his teaching methods were exemplary.

He single handedly restored my faith in formal training. I had basically given up on such things as excercises in liability control and target shooting. Frank's course was safe, but dynamic and practical.

I looked at my sights for about 50 out of 1000 rounds and was doing exactly what the instructor expected. It was a real eye-opener (at least they had to open BOTH eyes for a change ) for people who were not used to practical combat shooting techniques and great fun for me.

Score one for the "look through the sights" crowd (okay, we understand liability too ).

------------------
-Essayons
Old March 13, 1999, 06:49 PM   #2
buzz riley

rob,
Is Frank still with Glock? Was this a new Glock course, or is he doing it on the side? The last time we were at Glock (two years ago)for a course, we asked Frank if they could try to work up a an advanced type shooting/instructing course in addition to armorer/instructor, and advanced armorer.
buzz

------------------
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9
Old March 13, 1999, 07:00 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

Yes, he is still with Glock.

I believe that they revamped the course last year.

He said that the instructors course has gone through some different stages, as the needs of the LE community have changed. Used to be more focused on transition from revolver to pistol, then basic concepts with the pistol, now it is more of a progressive combat shooting instructors course. It is LE only and most of the students were Firearms instructors with their depts.
Old March 14, 1999, 12:35 AM   #4
buzz riley

What did you think of the G-18? Blasting away with it has always been the highlight of our trips to Glock.
Old March 14, 1999, 12:43 AM   #5
Rob Pincus

I've shot it before. The new twist is that it is now compensated. It makes the gun MUCH easier to fire. Now it IS the ultimate concealable firearm even moe than it was before.