The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Servo77

Lee classic turret kit

I am looking at getting into reloading and am thinking about the lee classic turret kit. I want to reload 9mm and .270 rifle at first, maybe some 7.62x39 later, and any new centerfires I might pick up.

Is this a good set-up for rifle and pistol....they seem to sell it as a pistol set-up. Would it be good for rifles as well?

What about the units longevity?
Old April 30, 2007, 11:17 AM   #2
benedict1

Excellent for rifle too--get in touch with the people at Kempf's--they are shooters and reloaders and know the Classic Turret Press inside and out--

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html

Ask for Sue, if she is around. She is a Cowboy action shooter and loads rifle and pistol in multiple calibers.

The press is cast iron and steel--the Lee dies are great.
Old April 30, 2007, 12:44 PM   #3
Servo77

I know a local that says his impression of the lee classic was that it was flimsy....what say you?

Pretty sturdy?
Old April 30, 2007, 12:53 PM   #4
arkie2

I have the Lee classic turret press and reload .45 and .357/.38 special as well as .270 rifle ammo. No problems. It's definitely not flimsy. You won't have any problems with durability.
Old April 30, 2007, 01:09 PM   #5
PeteQuad

It's good to know about it working well for .270. I plan to use it for .38 and .44 handgun rounds but if all goes well I might use it for my .270 rifle.
Old April 30, 2007, 01:14 PM   #6
arkie2

I neck resize only for my rifle. No lube required for neck resizing after the brass has been fire formed. You have to buy the neck resizing die separately. Recommendations are that you full length resize after about 3 reloads.
Old April 30, 2007, 01:21 PM   #7
rellascout

Classic vs Deluxe kit?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=622290
Old April 30, 2007, 01:32 PM   #8
PeteQuad

I believe the Deluxe kit from midway comes with the classic turret press. But I ordered mine from:
Old April 30, 2007, 01:57 PM   #9
benedict1

Flimsy?

Quote:
I know a local that says his impression of the lee classic was that it was flimsy....what say you?

Pretty sturdy?
He must be blind--don't drop one on your foot!

Cast iron base, steel supports, steel ram and linkage. How about reading this review of it?--

http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

There are three parts to the review--scan them all.
Old April 30, 2007, 02:12 PM   #10
mc223

Lee is the Wal-Mart of reloading. You get what you pay for.
Old April 30, 2007, 02:20 PM   #11
xjz

Look Before Buying

The link posted for midway is for the deluxe 4 hole turret kit not the classic turret press/kit. Be careful there is a difference, the "classic turret press" has the cast iron base and is a very stout setup. It can come with both 4 hole and 3 hole turret plates I believe but I'm not aware of any kit for the classic turret press, although I bought mine from Kempf over a year ago and there may be something now.
With the Lee classic turret you get exatly what you pay for, an extremely sturdy turret press at a very good price and you still have enough money left over to make 500 rounds, for the same cost as other turret presses that aren't any better.
Old April 30, 2007, 03:34 PM   #12
benedict1

Yes, Kempf has kits now for the Classic Turret. No, you would not put a 3-hole turret in it--the indexing rod is a different twist ratio.

Link to the Kempf kit, which includes 4-die Deluxe pistol dies, or .223 rifle setup. I think they have other rifle kits--you have to ask--

With all due respect to "The WalMart" of reloading above--let's mix up 50 rounds I load with my Classic Turret press of .45 ACP with 50 from a $1200+ Dillon 1050 and have an expert shoot them and tell me which is which.

When the same tool will produce the same finished product then cost/performance ratio is certainly a smart consideration.
Old April 30, 2007, 03:42 PM   #13
arkie2

With all due respect to "The WalMart" of reloading above--let's mix up 50 rounds I load with my Classic Turret press of .45 ACP with 50 from a $1200+ Dillon 1050 and have an expert shoot them and tell me which is which.

I think you'll find the difference if you load for an hour on your Lee turret press and someone else loads on that Dillon press will be that he has a lot more ammo than you do. Other than that, I agree with you. The ammo loaded by one is as good as the other. By the way, I have the Lee classic turret press and I'm happy with it.
Old April 30, 2007, 03:44 PM   #14
HJ857

Here's another kit option.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...847&hasJS=true
Old April 30, 2007, 04:19 PM   #15
PeteQuad

Examine the kempf kit and cabelas kit carefully. The kempf seems better if you start off with common handgun rounds, the cabelas one might be better if you are not starting off with one of those rounds listed.

Sorry for the mistake previously, that midway link did indeed have the non-classic version of the turret.
Old April 30, 2007, 04:54 PM   #16
CrustyFN

Quote:
Lee is the Wal-Mart of reloading. You get what you pay for.
Benedict1, you have to love the misleading BKK comments don't you. Servo as long as you don't need thousands of rounds per month or if you don't like reloading and just want to get it over with ASAP the Classic Turret is the perfect choice. I can make 800 to 1000 rounds in a week in just a few hours. Most new people are getting 200 RPH after they get comfortable with the press. I am loading 9mm and 223 and it loads very easy.
Rusty
Old April 30, 2007, 07:19 PM   #17
Servo77

thanks for the feedback rusty and I love the pool ball as a handle knob....btw....do you still have the CZ I sold you?
Old April 30, 2007, 07:59 PM   #18
ahescock

Happy with my Lee press

I spent many hours on these forums trying to decide whether I should go with a Lee Classic Turret or the Hornady Lock 'N' Load.

Being a progressive, the Hornady would be faster, but over $200 more expensive once you buy the shell holders, etc...The Lee has received some mixed reviews for its plastic parts, but the kit from KEMPF's was only $150.

In the end, I bought the Lee from Kempf's and am very happy with it. I shoot about 600 rds a month, and can make enough for my Saturday practice in about an hour. I like that I can remove the turret bar and go single stage if I want to just deprime/resize. It was very easy to setup and use, and will last a long time. The only thing you may want to do is upgrade to a RCBS handheld primer, rather than the Lee setup. The Lee priming system is a little inconsistent dropping the primers in the seating device.

The Hornady press has received some great reviews, and may be a better choice if time is an issue or you have the extra $$$. However, it has a much larger range of motion, which requires a lot of extra work when you are using short pistol cases.

I have never been one to buy the cheaper brands of tools, but the Lee press is a perfect mix of quality and price. If you know how to use and care for tools, the Lee should pose no problems.
Old April 30, 2007, 08:04 PM   #19
benedict1

You do not need to have dropped primers with the Safety Prime. I load hundreds of rounds at a time and never drop a primer.

You don't need any hand primer, etc. The thing will work great if your technique is good--and that's pretty easy to get.

Don't be shy with it--push the trigger in, and down, firmly. The downward movement puts the primer in the cup. If you sort of 'pussyfoot around' you'll miss with it. Have you watched this video? It may help you--let us know how you're doing.

http://tinyurl.com/lxapv

Last edited by benedict1; April 30, 2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Another idea
Old May 1, 2007, 08:29 AM   #20
arkie2

Servo

Others here on the forum have mentioned that the one thing about the Lee equipment they don't like are the lock rings for the dies. I can verify from experience that they don't hold and I frequently have to retighten mine. Look into lock rings from another manufacturer. That will be my next order.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:38 AM   #21
CrustyFN

Quote:
....btw....do you still have the CZ I sold you?
Yes I do. I have been using it for IDPA.
Old May 1, 2007, 12:42 PM   #22
Eric M.

It has been a slow morning so I decided to check and see what's up on the Fireingline forum.
I come across this thread, and take a half hour to read the entire thing, and boy, did I learn a lot.
I have been reloading forever with my Lyman All American turret, but in recent months have gotten into pistol reloading for my 1911's and 9mm's.
I have had advice on the forum about Dillon's and other reloaders for better speed, but I enjoy my time in the reloading room, and don't want to spend the big money for a Dillon Press.
The Lee Progressive looks intriguing, gut some people have advised me to buy the Lee Classic Turret Press.
Now I see why.
For as little as $150.00, I can have a press that is as reliable as my Lyman, but puts out 200rds and hour, instead of my 100rds and hour.
I can still have fun in my reloading room but still get some production when I need it.
Much thanks to all who have taken the time to educate this wanderer on the Fireingline Forums.

Eric Marleau
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs