Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 14, 2017, 08:32 PM   #51
dogtown tom

Quote:
zukiphile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtown tom
But that isn't Nanuks claim.
He believes SBR's are specifically prohibited that "You cannot carry loaded, in your car a registered SBR in many places"
That is incorrect. The claim wasn't that a prohibition was specific to SBRs but that the legal treatment is more restrictive in some places than for a pistol. The latter clearly true. Repetitively asking for citation for the former isn't insightful.
No actually it WAS his claim in post #32:
Quote:
YNanuk: ou cannot carry loaded, in your car a registered SBR in many places, you cannot cross state lines with an SBR without prior written permission from BATFE which specifies where you are going and for what purpose. You do not need to do that with a pistol.
His claim was specific to SBR's and whether it's easier to transport a loaded pistol. Further his belief that one does not need "permission" to carry a pistol is clearly untrue. I know there are states that prohibit any form of SBR's.....but there are also states that prohibit carrying a pistol without the appropriate license/permit.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtown tom
He started posting about his supposed ability to carry his AR pistol anywhere without permission and I told him why that wasn't true, now he's inventing laws about SBR's.
He actually claimed "I can legally carry a loaded pistol in many places I cannot a carbine or SBR."

See the difference?
No, his first claim was
Quote:
Nanuk: I can carry my AR pistol pretty much every where I go without asking anyone's permission.
Even with LEOSA that isn't true.

Bottom line is transporting an SBR interstate requires filing an ATF form once a year. No big deal.

Carrying an AR pistol? you'll need a license(s) with reciprocity and need to follow the concealed carry laws and open carry laws as I linked to above.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 14, 2017, 11:22 PM   #52
jmorris

Not on topic except for goofy rules but I always thought it was funny that a pistol couldn't be shipped USPS unless it was full auto, then that turned it from "pistol" to "machine gun" then it's OK to ship USPS....
Old September 14, 2017, 11:29 PM   #53
jmorris

Quote:
Bottom line is transporting an SBR interstate requires filing an ATF form once a year. No big deal.
As long as you go only one place with it each year, know the date(s), give them the reason why, tell them where from, where to and how. Also you have to notify them if life happens and your plans change. All if you submit the form(s) far enough in advance to get them approved. Then it isn't a big deal.
Old September 15, 2017, 05:40 AM   #54
armoredman

Since I travel from state to state about once every 30-40 years, that aspect of NFA '34 wouldn't impact my life much, though for people who travel a lot, I can see that being a small problem.
Old September 15, 2017, 08:00 AM   #55
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT tom
But that isn't Nanuks claim.
He believes SBR's are specifically prohibited that "You cannot carry loaded, in your car a registered SBR in many places"
Quote:
Originally Posted by z
That is incorrect. The claim wasn't that a prohibition was specific to SBRs but that the legal treatment is more restrictive in some places than for a pistol. The latter clearly true. Repetitively asking for citation for the former isn't insightful.
No actually it WAS his claim in post #32:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk
you cannot carry loaded, in your car a registered SBR in many places, you cannot cross state lines with an SBR without prior written permission from BATFE which specifies where you are going and for what purpose. You do not need to do that with a pistol.
His claim was specific to SBR's and whether it's easier to transport a loaded pistol.
Emphasis added.

Follow the bolded portions above. An observation that the law of a state will treat an SBR as a rifle isn't a prohibition specific to SBRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Tom
He started posting about his supposed ability to carry his AR pistol anywhere without permission and I told him why that wasn't true, now he's inventing laws about SBR's.
Quote:
He actually claimed "I can legally carry a loaded pistol in many places I cannot a carbine or SBR."

See the difference?
No, his first claim was

Quote:
Nanuk: I can carry my AR pistol pretty much every where I go without asking anyone's permission.
Emphasis added.

That you don't see a differences amongst the bolded illustrates the specific manner in which you've misunderstood Nanuk's assertion.

That you felt so strongly about your misreading that you had to post about three times in 15 minutes and maintain that Nanuk needed to provide citation for your misreading lends support to the idea that you sought to "bully [your] way through" a point rather than grasp it.

The silver lining from the colloquy is some greater clarity. In addition to the burdens of NFA regulation associated with an SBR, one would expect each state to treat it as a rifle rather than a pistol. Where state ccw laws are geared toward pistol carry, an item classified as a pistol may permit use with fewer restrictions.

I don't know if that means that the SBR concept is dying. I am not a student of that genre, but a real stock seems like one of the key advantages of a rifle.

Last edited by zukiphile; September 15, 2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old September 15, 2017, 06:51 PM   #56
Nanuk

Quote:
Carrying an AR pistol? you'll need a license(s) with reciprocity and need to follow the concealed carry laws and open carry laws as I linked to above.
I never denied that. I said "ANYWHERE I GO".