The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 25, 2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Slugo

target shooters, so who likes the XLR5 and who doesn't...

some reasons for and against would be interesting. Attached is an excellent review of the new gun...

http://fabarmusa.com/articles/sporti...2_Shotguns.pdf
Old July 25, 2012, 10:59 AM   #2
the rifleer

I'm against it cause I can't afford one...
Old July 25, 2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Slugo

hahaha, now there's a honest man! 10-1 not many of us can... LOL
Old July 25, 2012, 11:33 AM   #4
chadio

Yep - see post number 2
Old July 25, 2012, 12:44 PM   #5
BigJimP

XLR5 is less expensive than the Benelli Super Sport ...listing at $ 2,199 today ...and selling for around $ 1925 in my area..../ and the XLR5's I saw were listing at around $ 1,900...unless I missed something.

I couldn't open your link ...but I've seen other reviews on it.../ and the models I've seen have way too much drop at the comb to suit me personally. It apparently has a quick cycling action ...but is it, 0.1 of a sec faster than others....not sure.../ but the Benelli Inertia system is plenty fast enough to suit me ( I don't sense any hesitation waiting for it to cycle / between shots ) ....like I used to on the old Browning Auto 5's ...or even the Rem 1100's....but today, I think most of the gas guns ( Browning / Winchester with their new sytem, Beretta with their new systems ....are faster as well ).

I haven't seen anything - from any mfg / in terms of semi-auto shotguns ...that tells me to get rid of my Benelli Super Sport models....( even though the Super Sport is a little on the ugly side ...) its met or exceeded my expectations for a semi-auto.

Browning silver hunter ...is a lot of gun for the money selling for around $ 900 too .....
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...1&tid=350&bg=x

Beretta 391 gold - parallel target semi auto lists at $ 1900 ....to me that's a good option for a gas gun as well.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/a...gold-sporting/

Last edited by BigJimP; July 25, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old July 25, 2012, 01:30 PM   #6
zippy13

Like many newer guns, I don't think I'd want to be the first kid on the block with a XLR5. At first view, my reaction is that it's funny looking, but a lot of funny looking guns have worked well. If you're a comp shooter and you're getting your butt kicked by shooters using new XLR5s who weren't a challenge with their old guns, then you might want to give the XLR5 a try.
Old July 25, 2012, 01:36 PM   #7
Slugo

BJP, you are smoking something. There are only a handful of XLR5's in the US. The ones here are available through CG dealers at RETAIL. $2600 for the black $2900 for the platinum.

Take another hit on that bong!!
Old July 25, 2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Slugo

hey Jim, check this out. The outdated Browning and 391 can't hold a candle to this new gun, or a cheap plastic Benelli...

http://youtu.be/fTGqocpYdB0

http://youtu.be/h8Db2BEda_g
Old July 25, 2012, 01:57 PM   #9
BigJimP

Now don't make me come out there and smack you .....( I keep telling you guys, big guys on a diet are mean )....

Ok, so I didn't see they had a model with a parallel adjustable comb....so maybe its an acceptable option..../ maybe not ....

$ 2,600 - $ 2,900....ok / so they're more expensive than my plastic Benelli's ...( it is embarassing that I own two of the plastic Beneli super sports ..)...but I hide them in the back of my safe ( behind all my Browning O/U's ...) ....

I don't need a Browning silver series either...but they're an affordable option. I do think Beretta makes a good gas gun ...so I'm not going to fall in love with this fabarm thing...( not even mild lust ) for that matter..../ but I think you should buy two of them ....test them ...and let us know....
Old July 25, 2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Slugo

hehehehehe, you old fart!! Actually Fabarm has some other models that have been imported into the good old USA, and you may have seen a few of them. The XLR5 is a totally new gun, head to toe, and very few are here right now. I know Wes Lang personally, he's the CEO of CG/USA, who purchased Fabarms.

I have the 30" black model on order, but have no idea when it will get here...
Old July 25, 2012, 02:19 PM   #11
BigJimP

a 30" barrel ....for a little fella like you ....

......does it come with training wheels ...so you don't stick the muzzle into the mud ....???
Old July 25, 2012, 02:26 PM   #12
.300 Weatherby Mag

Slugo,

I think its ugly!!!
Old July 25, 2012, 02:28 PM   #13
BigJimP

the gun ...or him.....????
Old July 25, 2012, 02:30 PM   #14
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
the gun ...or him.....????
LOL....

Slugo,

I really don't know why you talk about the Beretta 391 being obsolete as the 1100 you hold so dear was obsolete 20 years ago... Both are great shotguns, regardless of any comparison to new offerings...

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; July 25, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old July 25, 2012, 02:34 PM   #15
BigJimP

Where did the little fella go....its not fair that he left ...right when we started picking on him ..../ I was enjoying it too much ...!

......( don't pick on my ugly plastic guns..)... !
Old July 25, 2012, 05:22 PM   #16
TheKlawMan

Slugo probably went out to buy another gun.
Old July 26, 2012, 05:55 PM   #17
340 Weatherby

Ok guys, don't fight! The only autloader that is obsolete is the one that quits working. That said, Klawman, the last thing a man of your stature needs to do is step backwards to one of those things that sounds like a threshing machine, and spits it's waste out on the ground too. If you want to hang with Willy and the Poorboys, 300 or I will loan you something for a day. I think you need to try a BT99 or something like that. When you find the one that truly fits you. I will really make a difference. Your back will thank me later.
Old July 28, 2012, 01:25 PM   #18
PJR

I'm in the "not sure" category. I know enough of the gotta-have-the-newest-gun types that one of them will buy it soon enough and let me try it. I have avoided buying several guns thanks to them.

The Fabarm leaves me cold because it's a target shotgun only and my semi-auto shotguns do double duty. The 12 gauge Beretta 391 is my waterfowler and the 20 391 gauge is my back up gun for upland if my sxs is out of commission. At 9.5lbs. I don't see the Fabarm filling either of those roles.
Old July 29, 2012, 11:12 AM   #19
johnbt

Interesting design with lots of adjustments. I thought the address in the linked ad looked familiar. Duh, it's Guerini USA. I keep forgetting that Guerini bought Fabarm last year.

Maybe we'll see more of them in September when the next shipment is reportedly due.

John
Old July 31, 2012, 06:29 PM   #20
oneounceload

I shot it and it is OK, but not for me. I applaud the concept - putting all of the after market goodies on it as standard equipment - but it still comes down to fit - and with all of its adjustment capability, the one area that doesn't happen is the grip - and that is one of the most critical places. The grip it too round if, like me, you have wide hands but your fingers aren't as long as your legs - it was awkward to get a good comfortable grip at the wrist. The other thing I found odd, as did every shooter who tried this gun - was the location of the bolt release. Oversized item is great, but on the LEFT side of the receiver? Makes no sense and is awkward for both RH and LH shooters alike.
The adjustable rib, giving a more "heads-up" shooting style would seem to favor trap shooters more than sporting clays shooter.

The three adjustable weights are a great idea to include with the gun.
Their choke tube inclusions seem to be missing something in the LM range. They go from a SK II, (.008) to a M (.022) with nothing in between - it seems they designed their chokes more for the skeet and trap shooters, not the sporting clay shooter - so fore the aforementioned groups, it should do nicely.

The laser engraving and laser checkering is nicely done - it is amazing the types of checkering that can be done by laser and not equalled by hand.

It is a VERY heavy gun - again, the weight of 9#1oz seems more at home with trap and skeet shooters, not sporting clay shooters

(For those who haven't figured it out yet, I shoot sporting clays)

All in all, it is well-built, shoots soft, cleans somewhat easily, but has the two shortfalls I mentioned above - grip/wrist design and release lever location. The price, while high, is somewhat in line with the Beretta A400 and Benelli guns when you factor in adding an adjustable comb, aftermarket bolt release, extra barrel weights, etc.

Whether the Tri-bore barrel delivers the hyped-about super patterns can only be determined at your shooting plate with your loads

If I was a trap or skeeter, I would give it 8.5/10; as a sporting shooter, I would give 7.5/10
As a LH shooter, it gets a 9 since it comes in a LH version
Old July 31, 2012, 09:09 PM   #21
Slugo

excellent short review 1ozL. Thanks, your findings are helpful, especially the overall weight thingy...
Old August 2, 2012, 02:51 AM   #22
olddrum1

I think for obvious reasons this shotgun ranks right up there with the UGB and RRL 28 gauge.
Old August 4, 2012, 08:36 AM   #23
LSnSC

It wouldnt work for me. I dont care for the hig rib guns for skeet and sporting. I feel like im riding on top of the gun.
I dont see it dethroning the 391 as king of the autoloaders anytime soon. I see ten 391's for every other autoloader at the ranges. The only thing remotely close in numbers is the 1100. The Brownings and Benellis while great guns lag far behind in numbers.