The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 8, 2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Jhedges

Nikon Monarch v. Vortex Viper

Just wanting to see what everyone has to say about these two scopes, i personally have two Nikons but the prostaff model and i would like to upgrade to some better optics around that $450 range.

Ive been looking at the monarchs in the 2.5-10x42 and 4-16x42 mil dot models and then the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 also in a mil-dot reticle came to my attention. The scope i get will be mounted on a Remington 700 .308 and it will be mostly used as a rifle season deer gun and hopefully on a Hog by next year.

Which has the better glass and overall just the better scope?
Old December 8, 2010, 06:26 PM   #2
srkavanagh6621

Im a big Nikon fan so thats what I would say but to be honest I have never used the vortex! I have heard good things about them but I just cant get over how much I like Nikons especially the Monarchs. Great glass for a great price! Good luck!
Old December 8, 2010, 06:28 PM   #3
.300 Weatherby Mag

Get a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44mm or Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40mm

They are availiable in your price range and they are better scopes!!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=205261540
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=205277177

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; December 8, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old December 8, 2010, 06:39 PM   #4
Jhedges

Yeah, I am pleased with the two nikons i have but ive been wanting better glass for my .308 and that spot on technology by nikon makes using the Mil-dots on the monarchs so much easier.

I will take a look at the vx-3 and the conquest too.
Old December 8, 2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Hog Hunter

Ive never bought anything other than leupold and nikon. I looked through a high priced zeiss (around $1000) and was gald i had my leupold on my rifle. I have been wanting to try out one of them tijicons, herd them r some good scopes.
Old December 8, 2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Fusion

If you compared a Zeiss to your Leupold and you felt that the Leupold was better, you need to go have your eyes checked out.
Old December 8, 2010, 08:24 PM   #7
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
If you compared a Zeiss to your Leupold and you felt that the Leupold was better, you need to go have your eyes checked out.
Owning both.. The zeiss is slightly brighter but quite a bit heavier than the Leupold..
Old December 8, 2010, 08:28 PM   #8
taylorce1

Quote:
Having looked through both and I'll agree the Zeiss is probably slightly better in the clarity of the scope. That said I don't own a single Ziess as for the money the difference in glass isn't enough for me to put a bulkier scope on my hunting rifles. Leupolds are tough, have good enough glass to get the job done with smaller objectives, plus they come in a lighter more attractive package.

Getting back to the OP's original question. I just picked up a 2-7 Vortex Viper used with BDC reticle. I feel it is on par with the VX-II offered by Leupold so it would be slightly less quality than a Monarch on par with a Buckmasters. I'll let you know how the scope holds up over the next few months, I've killed a Weaver K4 and a 2-7 Micro Trac on my Savage 99 in .358 Win and these were the old tough as nails El Paso Weavers.
Old December 8, 2010, 09:16 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

In that price range, you cannot top the Nikon Monarch. I've compared like priced Nikon Monarchs, Leupolds and Zeiss scopes and I walked away with Monarch. In my opinion, in your price range, there isn't a better scope than the Monarch.
Old December 9, 2010, 02:52 AM   #10
Norrick

Both are pretty good. I think I'd decide based on what size rings you already have. The monarchs are 1 inch, the Vipers are 30mm.

If its a tossup, I think the Vipers have more adjustment for a given magnification.
Old December 9, 2010, 06:04 AM   #11
Lloyd Smale

never tried a vortex scope but have a set of the razor binoculars and the optics are great! It doesnt take much to step up from a nikon prostaff in my opinion ive got two and there low light performace leaves something to be desired. The monarchs are much better. As to the ziess/leupold argument ive got a 3x9 conquest and dont think the optics are as good as a vx3 leupold. The german ziess scopes are better but cost twice as much. The cheaper conquest line of ziess in my opinion are overpriced scopes and binouculars that your paying for a name. In there price range you can buy a nikon monarch a leupold vx3 or a bushnell 4200 and in my opinion they all have better optics then the conquest. Dont get me wrong the conquests are good scopes its just that there not great scopes just because they say ziess on them.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:18 AM   #12
hifi

I have pretty much always used nikon, until I got a viper in 6.5x20 and have to say I really like it. The only thing I can really complain about it is the weight, it is heavy.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:35 AM   #13
Jhedges

@Norrik
I have two pair of the TPS TSR "W" rings already Low and Medium. I have a pair of the 30mm Super Low TSR's too but i need to replace the cross bolt. The thing holding me back on the Viper is the fact that the lowest power is 6.5 compared to the monarchs 4. I'm an avid deer hunter and i mean i dont want that chance that a buck will walk up 20 yards away and i cant find him in my scope.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:46 AM   #14
4runnerman

I just got my new scope also. did lots of checking and question asking.
What i got most of was Viper is actually better optics than the Monarch and everybit as good as the Ziess for less money. Now these are just the group of people that i bench shoot with and i know there is a big difference in bench and real life hunting. I did look through all 3 and for the money Yes Viper is a better deal. As far as clearity goes.Im 50 and Ziess was no better than either of the other two,But again i looked through them in a store under that kind of light. Outside early morning or dusk could make a lot of difference
Old December 10, 2010, 12:21 PM   #15
Poodleshooter

I've got a Viper 6.5-20x 44mm on an AR varmint rig.
It's optically superior to the Buckmaster 4.5-14x 40mm mildot that I have on my .308 (better resolution, less tunnel vision). I had initially planned to get a Nikon Monarch 5-20x 44mm model, but after checking them out at several stores, I actually found that I didn't even like them as much as my Buckmaster. The optics seemed hazy,and almost fogged/greyed out at high magnification when the exit pupil shrank. My Viper does reduce available light when it's cranked up,but it doesn't have that effect that the Monarch did. I'll note that I only tested 5-20x Monarchs. I've not seen this in the lower power Monarchs I've looked through, nor have I had a chance to directly compare a Monarch and Viper side by side for resolution.
I will say that I really,really like the Viper turrets. However performance wise, the Monarch and Buckmaster turrets are just as nice,and my Buckmaster at least,tracks very well.
Old December 22, 2010, 09:06 PM   #16
marine17

Monarch vs Viper

Nikon Monarch Scopes are my mainstay. I also have a Vortex Viper. If you go to the web sites for both, the specs. are close to each other, if not identicle.
I mainly use a 3.5x10x50 Monarch, but have used the Viper 3x10x50 for hunting deer. I cannot tell any difference in actually aquiring my target in low light or the bright of day. Both scopes also have their own version of a BDC reticle if that is what you like. Yes there are better scopes out there, but you will not go wrong choosing a Nikon or Vortex. If you drop down one class, The Nikon Buckmaster series or the Vortex Diamond series scopes are pretty good too.

Semper Fi
Russ
Old December 23, 2010, 05:16 AM   #17
trg42wraglefragle

the bushnell elite 4200 range is suposed to be pretty good value for money, and should be about you price range