The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 26, 2006, 12:59 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Will a .22lr suppressor work without damage with a .22 mag (WMR)?

?? Thanks.
Old February 26, 2006, 03:58 PM   #2
CypherNinja

While the .22 WMR has a larger case and more pressure, its still a rimfire, so I think you might be okay. I would really ask the manufacturer whether or not its ok, since it probably depends alot on the individual design.

You could get a 223 suppressor and shoot whatever .22 cartridge you want through it.

EDIT: As long as its not something crazy like a nuclear 22-250 handload or something.
Old February 26, 2006, 05:06 PM   #3
Crosshair

It really depends. Some suppressors are made to be as light as possible so do not have as much extra strength while others are strong enough to take pressure from a 223 (Not recomended of course.) HTG makes a suppressor that can take 22LR, 22 Hornet and .223 and suppress all of them very well.
Old February 26, 2006, 05:19 PM   #4
VUPDblue

AAC says their .22lr cans should be used with .22lr only. Gemtech says the same thing... For what they cost, I wouldn't risk it. Buy a .223 rated can and shoot pretty much any .22 ammunition you want through it. A little more expensive, but a lot more versatile.
Old March 4, 2006, 08:04 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Thanks; very helpful. I'll look into just getting a .223 can from the get-go, if it's not just hundreds & hundreds more. I plan to mainly use it with .22lr, but it would be nice to thread a .22 mag as well. And for that matter, use it with a .223 occasionally.
Old March 4, 2006, 11:08 PM   #6
VUPDblue

I have a Gemtech Outback II and it was $300. That is on the low end of .22lr only suppressors price wise. The cheapest .223 can that I know of is the Yankee Hill Machine -Phantom Suppressor for $460.
Old March 6, 2006, 05:07 AM   #7
mxwelch

I machine my own, I just have to turn the plans in for the BATF with the other paperwork. I use 303SS and I'd bet the farm that one of these would handle a .22mag.
Old March 6, 2006, 10:45 AM   #8
shaggy

Quote:
I machine my own, I just have to turn the plans in for the BATF with the other paperwork.
No you don't - why would you send your plans to the NFA Branch?
Old March 6, 2006, 08:26 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

VUPDBlue, why does Yankee Hill not show any suppressors on their website then? Here is the only 'suppressors' - flash suppressors, that is, on the "Muzzle Accessories" page:

http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/muzzle.html
Old March 6, 2006, 09:50 PM   #10
Dave Haven

Quote:
why would you send your plans to the NFA Branch?
According to field 4a on Form 1:
Quote:
NAME AND LOCATION OF ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER
(if prototype, furnish plans and specifications)
They just want to know what you plan to build. In the case of my prototype SMG, they returned the blueprints and spec sheet with the approved Form 1.
Old March 6, 2006, 09:52 PM   #11
Dave Haven

Whoops! the reply button went full-auto on me.
Old March 6, 2006, 10:02 PM   #12
Dave Haven

deleted
Old March 6, 2006, 10:14 PM   #13
Dave Haven

deleted
Old March 7, 2006, 05:32 AM   #14
shaggy

Let me start by saying I've never filed a form 1, so I've never had one kicked back for a lack of required info (like plans or specs). I've also never heard of this requirement on a form 1. When I look at the form 1 where it asks for plans & specs if its a "prototype", I think they're getting at the situation where you make a complete new weapon type and want to designate it with a model designation that wouldn't be known or would likely be mistaken for something else. For example, if you put MG34 on your form 1, the people at BATFE know what an MG34 looks like and would expect what you built to generally look like an MG34. OTOH, if you put "The Haven-ator" down as the model instead of MG34, they wouldn't know what a "Haven-ator" is suppossed to be or look like. Similarly, if you wanted to call your new MG34-like creation a "PPSh41" on the form 1 (just because you wanted to be different), they'd be thinking what you made was something resembling a PPSh41, not something that really looked like an MG34. I think thats the problem they're trying to address on the form 1 when they ask for plans if its a prototype. BATFE knows what a suppressor is, and from the rest of the form they know the caliber and size. I don't think the Tech Branch is looking for every individual filing a form 1 for a can to include a set of plans to build a traditional k-type baffle can or a neoprene wiped can. That wouldn't be a prototype in my opinion; it would just be another k-baffle can.

I see the logic though - that anything an individual wanted to make would be a "prototype" for that individual insofar as he was the "manufacturer" on the forms. I just don't think thats necessary or required if its a can or if not a completely new and different firearm type; like a "Haven-ator" if it was a firearm. It not, almost everything anyone made on a form 1 would require plans & specs (isn't the F2 for manufacturers?). But again, I could be quite wrong; as I said I've never filed a form 1 so I've never had one sent back requesting plans and specs. In 12+ years of dabbling in NFA, however, I've never heard of anyone getting a form 1 for a can (or anything else) getting kicked out for not including plans.
Old March 7, 2006, 06:33 AM   #15
mxwelch

There are many different baffle desings I've used and I'm sure that's what they're asking about. I figure what the heck, just send it in to be safe. Nothing like an extra 2 months because it got kicked back. A Class II friend has told me that if I machine it it must be included.
Old March 7, 2006, 08:10 AM   #16
VUPDblue

Firstfreedom, Yankeehill does show the suppressor on their web page. In fact, it is on the front page! Go to http://www.yankeehillmachine.com and click the firearms products link and it is right there. I have never seen that link you posted.
Old March 7, 2006, 08:11 AM   #17
VUPDblue

Firstfreedom, Yankeehill does show the suppressor on their web page. In fact, it is on the front page! Go to http://www.yankeehillmachine.com and click the firearms products link and it is right there. I have never seen that link you posted.
Old March 7, 2006, 04:22 PM   #18
Watchman

The .22 mag is faster than the .22 LR and the shot will be much louder due to the bullet being supersonic so it wont work near as well.

FWIW...
I machined my own suppressor for my .300 Whisper AR. using the form 1.

I did not send any plants to them as it was a generic type suppressor, nothing new in it.
"Prototype" means a new design, the only one of its type,something they havent seen before.

I simply filled out the form, got it approved,made the suppressor and engraved my name,city and serial number on it. No big deal really except for the 200 dollar fee.
Old March 7, 2006, 09:52 PM   #19
Dave Haven

Quote:
When I look at the form 1 where it asks for plans & specs if its a "prototype", I think they're getting at the situation where you make a complete new weapon type and want to designate it with a model designation that wouldn't be known or would likely be mistaken for something else.
The only Form 1 I submitted plans with was the one for my Haven Mark I. It's not a direct copy of any other design. I didn't submit plans for the other toys, since they were existing designs.
Old March 19, 2006, 04:24 PM   #20
FirstFreedom

oh, ok, vupdblue - lol.
Old March 19, 2006, 10:03 PM   #21
VUPDblue

if you could just teach my wife to say that...
Old March 20, 2006, 01:30 PM   #22
FirstFreedom

Yeah, I know the feeling on wives/girlfriends that can't be wrong. So anyhow, if I get the .223 rem can, there's no problem shooting .22lr through it, is there?
Old March 20, 2006, 05:15 PM   #23
VUPDblue

No problem at all. They suppress the .22lr VERY well. The only disadvantage I can think of is weight. .223 cans are a bit heavier than .22lr only cans.