The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 9, 2018, 12:40 PM   #26
tranders

Many years ago I was reluctant to carry "Cocked & Locked". As I became more experienced with the 1911 platform and understanding how everything worked my reluctance disappeared. Very safe design and in some peoples opinion too many safeties. Especially with an 80's series pistol(firing pin block) it is impossible for the pistol to fire unless the grip safety is depressed,thumb safety disengaged,and trigger is pulled rearward. Even in the event of a mechanical failure(sear nose chips or breaks,hammer hooks break,etc.) there is a half cock notch on the hammer that should catch a falling hammer and a firing pin block (80 series) which will not allow the firing pin to move unless the trigger is pulled or in the case of the Swartz safety(Kimber) the grip safety is depressed.

I feel more comfortable with a Cocked and Locked 1911 than some of the polymer striker fired pistols that are Cocked and Unlocked. Not saying they are unsafe because I also carry Glocks.
Old March 9, 2018, 12:46 PM   #27
scottycoyote

i know exactly what youre going thru, i bought a sig 938 and like you, i know thats the way youre supposed to carry it but i had issues. Honestly I wish the sigs had the additional beavertail safety like a 1911, i would feel a little better. But really its no difference than carrying a glock, etc except you cant see the hammer....the glock is ready to go and it doesnt even have a safety so one could argue its not as safe as condtion 1 carry. I did carry the sig for a day or 2 cocked and locked without a round in just to see if i could knock off the safety or drop the hammer by accident and it never did...that gave me a little more peace and mind
Old March 9, 2018, 02:04 PM   #28
Bartholomew Roberts

On the striker fired comparison, striker fired pistols usually have a firing pin block and some mechanism to prevent inertial trigger pull. Single-action semi-autos don’t always have the firing pin block. Does the 938 have that feature or is it more series 70?
Old March 9, 2018, 02:26 PM   #29
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
On the striker fired comparison, striker fired pistols usually have a firing pin block and some mechanism to prevent inertial trigger pull. Single-action semi-autos don’t always have the firing pin block. Does the 938 have that feature or is it more series 70?
The parts diagram on page 32 of the manual pdf here shows a firing pin block, and firing pin block spring.

And, no, they're not really 1911s.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 9, 2018, 03:28 PM   #30
adamBomb

Quote:
The problems is that I've been uncomfortable carrying cocked and locked.
I am too. I have heard stories of the safety going off...one by my LGS owner who carries one though none of those stories ended in an AD/ND. If it had a grip safety too like a normal 1911 then I would be more inclined.
Old March 9, 2018, 04:11 PM   #31
Carmady

I don't know if I'm comfy or not carrying locked and cocked, never tried it.
Old March 9, 2018, 08:22 PM   #32
Bart Noir

I started carrying my Colt CCO in a outside belt holster made by a well-known maker. But the holster was used when I bought it and I have no idea if anything was done to stretch the leather. So I will not mention the maker or model.

The second time I found the safety OFF when I pulled it from the holster, I unloaded and took a good look. Which I should have done before carrying in that holster.

It was just loose enough that sitting in my car seat moved the gun fore-and-aft enough to cause the thumb safety to move to OFF. As they say, "that's not optimal".

I gave the holster to a friend who likes to carry the 1911 with the hammer down. He put in a hammer and grip safety combo which allows him to thumb-cock the 1911. It worked OK for Colt Peacemakers, I guess

Bart Noir

Last edited by Bart Noir; March 9, 2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old March 9, 2018, 08:26 PM   #33
Bart Noir

Lee, all my Colt 1911s have firing pin blocks. Are you saying that they are not real 1911's? You purist, you

Since there has been gunsmithing done to them, I can't tell the difference in trigger pull from the Series '70 or earlier Colts. Yeah, a little trickier to put parts together after a complete cleaning but I like the extra drop safety of the FPB.

Bart Noir
Old March 9, 2018, 09:38 PM   #34
Prof Young

More from OP . . . .

Sevens - Thanks for you thought and concern. The clip on the holster doesn't show well in the pic. I have a stiff web LEO type belt and once it's clipped on it ain't coming off accidentally. It's hard to get it off on purpose.

Hal - On your thoughts about the LCP, amazingly I am the same way. When I carry the Beretta Pico there is one in the chamber and no safety. It's a DAO gun. Problems is it is so small I can't shoot it well. I keep working on that. Maybe one day.

Thanks to all who have responded to this post. Lots to learn.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 10, 2018, 08:18 AM   #35
CDW4ME

My wife was always, "I don't like cocked & locked"
Got her a Ruger 9mm 1911 which she shot quicker & more accurately than her Shield 9mm or Kahr P9
After discovering how well she shot it and understanding how it works (getting past a visible cocked hammer) she decided she does like cocked & locked.
Old March 10, 2018, 08:34 AM   #36
In The Ten Ring

My wife was always, "I don't like cocked & locked"

My GF loves my S&W 1911 Performance Center, the commander-sized version with black and orange grips. As we have gotten closer to marriage I've been thinking about what 1911-ish to get her. Kimber 380/9mm or Springfield EMP (with the carry grip) are leading the way.
Old March 10, 2018, 09:27 AM   #37
MandolinMan

I carry a Sig P938 daily cocked and locked with no worries. In fact, while I've only carried about five years now, most of that time has been with SAO pistols (1911 or HI Power).

Specifically referencing the Sig P238 and P938 models, I don't at all understand the concern. While they may look like 1911's, there're not. And while the trigger may be SAO, the Sig specs reveal the pull weight to be 7.5 - 8.5 lbs. That's not exactly a 1911 hair trigger! Many folks who have no concern whatsoever carrying a modern striker pistol with trigger pulls in the 4.5 -6.0 range, balk at the P238/938 as being unsafe.....

Someone else here on the forum applied the saying, " Out of sight, out of mind" to this case. It seems a hammer that you can see is more dangerous than a striker that you can't.
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old March 10, 2018, 09:58 AM   #38
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Noir View Post
Lee, all my Colt 1911s have firing pin blocks. Are you saying that they are not real 1911's? You purist, you

Bart Noir
Not at all. I pointed out earlier in the thread that the Sigs were more like the old Star guns.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 10, 2018, 10:45 AM   #39
Satchmoeddie

Hi Powers, 1911s, P938s, CZ75s condition one, and even my Sig P226s condition ZERO! Oops I forgot once or twice, while looking for an armed suspect, who has fled. The holster covers the trigger and my finger stays off it, as I won't attempt to prestage any Sig or Sig Sauer in DA. Daewoo K5s, & Colt D & I Frame revolvers, YES! S&W, NO. Anything with a trigger that stacks, I will prestage. Iv'e shot the Hi Power for over 40 years. The safety detent is not my favorite, but so far, no NDs with a Hi Power. I had one with a Daewoo during the weirdo Korean decocking procedure, so scrap that procedure & just lower the hammer. I dislike carrying a Glock more so than I do carrying a SA or SA/DA hammer fired gun with a safety, in condition one. Not a whole lot, but I am just not a striker fired plastic gun person. I do carry the Glock 43 as a backup though. No worries, just keep your wits about you. The Daewoo K5/DP51 carries condition 1 or zero with the hammer down. A very light trigger pull, and the hammer flips back on a second spring. A little more pull, (about 2x the pull to flip the hammer back) it breaks, and bang! It's very well made gun with a tight fitting parts that rivals Kimber 1911s, which I really don't care for, but the Daewoo is a fine little pistol.

Last edited by Satchmoeddie; March 10, 2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old March 10, 2018, 11:04 AM   #40
Onward Allusion

IMO, cocked and locked on a 1911 designed pistol is safer than any striker fired pistol with no external safety.
Old March 10, 2018, 11:29 AM   #41
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
2. If you can't trust yourself to be safe enough to draw a loaded firearm, then you probably shouldn't be carrying a firearm.
Funny, how it's most of them folks that trust themselves enough to carry a loaded firearm, that end up having the NDs.

Lots of folks out there that boast on online gun forums about carrying "cocked and locked" that probably shouldn't be carrying a firearm either. I know for a fact that unloading your firearm or opening the action before you cross a fence/climb a treestand is taught in every Hunter Safety class in the country. Still we hear of folks having ADs/NDs every year while crossing a fence or climbing into their treestands. I'm betting they felt comfortable keeping their firearms loaded too. One's own trust is not always a true gauge of what is safe. Just sayin'.......

I believe folks should carry what and how they feel the most comfortable with, have the most confidence in and are the most proficient with. Period. They should not be chastised because they do not carry like someone else, nor should they be bullied into carrying something or someway they are not comfortable with.

I carry DA revolvers and semi-auto pistols on a regular basis. Most of the time the pistols are cocked and locked(some cannot be "locked"). But there are times, like when carrying in the woods(there are no Grizzlies and very few cougars in my area) when I will carry my 1911 in a shoulder holster without one in the chamber. Just because I can.
Old March 10, 2018, 11:30 AM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
On the striker fired comparison, striker fired pistols usually have a firing pin block and some mechanism to prevent inertial trigger pull. Single-action semi-autos don’t always have the firing pin block.
"Usually"....meaning, more often than not??

I'd agree, IF you are only discussing pistols made within the last 30 years, or so...

None of my 9mm Lugers has a firing pin block, and they are both striker fired, and single action.

Striker fired, and single action pistols have been around since a little before 1900. The obsession with drop safety is a fairly new thing, basically only becoming something people worry about since the state of California decided it would introduce a "drop safety" requirement as a means to reduce the number of pistols legal for sale in California.

Quote:
all my Colt 1911s have firing pin blocks. Are you saying that they are not real 1911's? You purist, you
You can call them 1911s, if you want, they are your guns, but call me purist, they aren't actual 1911s. What do your guns say on them? Do they say 1911?? or something else?? I'd bet something else, sight unseen, simply because you say they have firing pin blocks.

Actual 1911s are the guns made for military use, between 1911 and 1922-23 when the A1 modification was introduced. Guns made by Colt for commercial sale during that same period are NOT 1911s. They are Colt Government Models. You can call them 1911 style, or 1911 pattern guns, and I'm fine with that. And, yes, I know that many people just say 1911 as a verbal shorthand, but that doesn't make it correct.
Old March 10, 2018, 07:22 PM   #43
Geezerbiker

It took only one time of upholstering my Springfield Armory 1911 and finding the safety had somehow migrated to the off position to get me to make sure it never happened again. I very gently ground out the detent notch so it takes twice as much effort to take it off safety as it came from the factory. After many years of carrying cocked and locked it has never happened again.

I used to have a High Power and I hope to again but I don't think it's as good of a choice to carry cocked and locked because the safety detent is so weak. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it...

If you're worried about how likely a dropped handgun will go off, put a primed but not loaded case in the chamber and proceed to pound the muzzle on a chunk of firewood. That way you won't damage it will trying to see what it takes to set it off. Personally, I just don't drop my guns...

Tony
Old March 10, 2018, 11:06 PM   #44
Sgt127

I’ve carried a 1911 over 35 years. As a duty gun, it’s the best of all worlds for me. In a holster, safety on with a strap under the hammer, it’s as safe as a gun can be. And, I can shoot a 1911 better than any other handgun.

It may also buy me a few seconds if somebody gets it away from me.

Off duty? Not my favorite. I used to carry a Detonics back in the day. I carried it hammer down. A cocked and locked pistol pointed at my femoral artery just creeps me out.

Now, I carry a Sig with the DAK Trigger appendix. I learned shooting with a revolver and, I’m very good with the DAK trigger.

Glocks, M&P’s and all the majority of other striker fired guns are cocked and unlocked pistols.
Old March 10, 2018, 11:59 PM   #45
tranders

Actually, Glocks are partially "Cocked and Unlocked". The striker is not fully cocked until the trigger is pulled.
Old March 11, 2018, 01:02 AM   #46
Sgt127

I know that’s what they like to say. But, there’s enough stored energy to fire. I tried it. Took the firing pin safety out, loaded a primed case. Used an inspection cover. Reached in with a dental pick. Pushed the cruciform down. Gun fired.

Glock was a master at marketing. “Safe Action” sounds better than “cocked”.
Old March 11, 2018, 06:40 AM   #47
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44AMP
Can you name a pistol that doesn't have the "risk of premature discharge", when you pull the trigger prematurely???
Any gun with a manual safety in use.
Old March 11, 2018, 08:29 AM   #48
bamaranger

disturbing

I carried a Colt Commander, all steel, single thumb safety for a number of years with no issues, in an Bianchi Askins Avenger holster.

About a decade ago, I sprung for a Browning Hi-Power, .40, with dual safeties. Holster is a belt slide, leather, I think from Dillon's (Rosen?). Since I've retired from carrying SIGS for a living, I've hauled out the Hi-Power for SD carry, and have on more than one instance, found the safety "off" after driving a vehicle. Carrying at about 4 o'clock in the slide holster, I suspect the outboard safety is getting wiped off by the seat belt or seat itself. Disturbing.

Is installing a single safety on this newer HP a simple parts swap? At worst, the outboard lever could be trimmed flush/round and reblued, but I'd hate to do that.
Old March 11, 2018, 11:35 AM   #49
GunFickle

Looks like you have found your solution. When it comes to CCW you have to do what you are comfortable with.
Old March 11, 2018, 12:18 PM   #50
cw308

I carry a Colt 1911 3" 45acp , there very safe pistols . Carry in condition 1 is for speed , carrying in condition 1 with a strap between the hammer an firing pin defeats the hole purpose. I use a IWB holster summer Special 2 Milt Sparks in condition 3 . Don't beat me up I've carried in condition 1 , 2 an now in 3 as . Carried in one for 15 years then went up to two for 15 years , now I'm in three and still kicking . Love shooting , hit the range every week . Still under 3 seconds at 71