The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Carry at work
No where on property 81 47.65%
car/truck only 35 20.59%
Anywhere on property 43 25.29%
Required to carry 11 6.47%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 8, 2012, 02:08 PM   #26
TheNocturnus

I am self employed, so yep I allow myself to carry.

I am looking for a PT job and if they do not allow guns on the property then I will adhere to the rules...
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old October 8, 2012, 03:08 PM   #27
GM1967

Much like 45 Auto said, I work for the federal government, weapons are prohibited, and they do sometimes do searches of cars when entering. On the brighter side, people do need proper ID and a legitimate reason to enter the installation, so random nutcases won't get in.

We do get "Active Shooter" training every year, but it avoids mentioning the one best thing you can do to avoid becoming a victim of an "active shooter": having a gun of your own.

PS - I hate that new term, "active shooter". How about "active murderer" instead? To me and most of us here I think, an active shooter is someone who goes to the range at least once a week.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:20 PM   #28
STW

My company. My rules.
Maybe I should make it mandatory that I carry, then, if anyone notices that I am carrying, I can just cite company rules and say I have no choice.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:24 PM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nope, I work in Washington, DC, in a Federal facility.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:32 PM   #30
9mm

It's not illegal in my state to, only against a company policy, which just gets you fired. I know many guys who carry at their jobs, especially the guys who work at the stores that are robbed 3+ times a year.. As long as it's not a federal work place. My life is more important than a job.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:46 PM   #31
zxcvbob

Company policy says no guns anywhere on the property. State law protects employee gun rights in vehicles in the parking lot. So I voted "car/truck only", but any time I do have a gun in my truck while at work I keep my mouth shut about it. I don't want to be a test case.
Old October 8, 2012, 06:42 PM   #32
Chris_B

We have a policy- no weapons on premises or parking lot. Of course, for work, we store several firearms, including an actual machinegun, for when we do live-fire demos
Old October 8, 2012, 06:48 PM   #33
Chris_B

Quote:
PS - I hate that new term, "active shooter". How about "active murderer" instead? To me and most of us here I think, an active shooter is someone who goes to the range at least once a week.
You're right. That's a Hurtful Term that lessens your self-esteem and promotes emotional stress. One might even call it an active policy by the Department to mentally torture the members of staff that legally shoot, by portraying them as a dangerous group worthy of prejudicial consideration

HR should be behind you 100% on this clear-cut case of discrimination

yeah, that'll be the day, huh?
Old October 8, 2012, 08:38 PM   #34
Rmart30

Company policy is none in company vehicles but can be left in personal cars in the parking lot. I drive a company vehicle and am required to be in less than desirable areas of town by myself at all times of the day or night.
My job is replaceable , my life isnt.
Old October 8, 2012, 08:53 PM   #35
ffr1910

TN state university, Thank you Board of Regents! BA
Old October 8, 2012, 08:55 PM   #36
bossman

Company says no, local boss says he did. So I took if you want to go for it. Multi state operation. Never questioned.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:59 PM   #37
pjp74

Luckily the owner of the company I work for and most of the guys I work with are all absolute gun nuts and avid hunters. We can carry anywhere on his property (concealed of course), but due to doing HVACR for some large corporations that don't share our enthusiasm, it pretty much has to stay in the service truck while out on jobs.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:03 PM   #38
Corrections Cop

Nope, since I work at a State Prison, it is a felony to have weapons on prison property. At least we have arsenal at work when we need firearms. And we have a armed response vehicle on grounds.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:08 PM   #39
Stuck

No firearms allowed on company property.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:19 PM   #40
dstryr

Firearms anywhere. The owners own land and hunt. And drink beer. So if there was ever a policy against firearms or alcohol at any of our branches we'd lose about 85% of our employees.

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old October 8, 2012, 10:29 PM   #41
wayneinFL

No firearms allowed on company property, in company vehicles, in personal vehicles, or while traveling on company business. So they can send me to Atlanta, for example, and I cannot carry to, from, or there while I'm on or off work.

According to the policy, this holds true despite any state law, like ours which specifically protects employees who have guns in their cars at work.

A co-worker was robbed at gun point a few years ago. He mentioned that he wished he was armed, but that it was probably against company policy. I informed him it was against company policy. He lamented that he would have been fired for defending himself. I followed it up with, "I'm with ya'... I'd rather die than lose my job here."

He didn't get the sarcasm.
Old October 8, 2012, 11:18 PM   #42
riggins_83

While I'm not required to carry at work it's requested and recommended... I always do so.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:42 AM   #43
Pianoguy

I can carry just as long as I keep it on my person at all times (no coat pocket, bag, etc.) and keep it inconspicuous (ie concealed!) at all times. We have to notify our supervisor that we may be carrying but otherwise just be quiet about it. I think it freaks my supervisor out a bit and I'm sure it would bother quite a few others in a rather large office building knowing I was carrying so I keep it secret. I don't think a week goes buy without some discussion regarding gun control with co-workers and I just put in my two-bits and never let on that I'm carrying a gun a few feet from them.

Last edited by Pianoguy; October 9, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:56 AM   #44
hivoltagefx4

I work for my local Public School System, therefore, no guns allowed. I can't even have it locked in my car on school property. Makes having a CCW a pain to really only be able to carry on the weekends.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:52 AM   #45
efield

The official company policy is no weapons on the premises. I have a CCW and I have my own personal policy of "Don't ask - dont' tell". I could probably get another job but I can't get another life.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:52 AM   #46
psyfly

No.

Not in the building where I work per USC 18 Part1, Chapter 44 § 930.

Not technically illegal on the facility itself but only because the Commander hasn't bothered to issue a rule.

He doesn't want it, so it's effectively illegal.

W

Last edited by psyfly; October 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:06 AM   #47
Slowhand

Post Office.... No Carry Zone Period

I retired from the US Post Office in January. No guns allowed in buildings or parking lot. Get caught and the career is over.

It was in a Bad Part of town, sort where you could recognize the names of resturants or business places by their names as having been robbed. There were streets where thugs had done drive by shootings. They'd get high, turn on a DVD Camera and shoot or rob the next "MF" they saw.

So for 14 years I sucked it up and drove to and from work without a weapon in the car. I worked shift work so, if I needed to go out to pickup something after work, I'd come home and get a weapon before going out.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:11 AM   #48
RedBowTies88

I can't carry anywhere living here in the people republic. I'm trying to talk my father (I work in a famly business) to deal me in for 1% so that I cna be considered an owner and then I could carry on company property.

Or at least thats the plan. for all I know there's probably a law that says you need to be a majority owner
Old October 9, 2012, 11:16 AM   #49
dayman

I work in a school, so no.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:44 AM   #50
ClydeFrog

Jan/2012...

In Jan 2012, I was let go from a full time position because I wanted to carry my M&P 9x19mm with me.
I'd several documented threats(death threats) & was dealing with events that included weapons/firearms on the property.
The co-owner/mgr was risk-adverse & didnt want any company employees to carry firearms due to; "legal reasons" & civil liability.

He & the other owner just wanted to avoid the lawsuits or legal issues that may come up from a line of duty shooting incident.
I didnt agree with their views but I did get state U/C, .
It's sad to see US business owners or small business owners more concerned about lawsuits or insurance than the safety & welfare of their own employees.

In today's world, you can get hurt or shot or killed in the workplace BUT heaven forbid to carry any weapons to protect you.

Clyde