The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 8, 2011, 08:47 PM   #26
TGReaper

I am certainly not an expert, however if I have a chance to go after "big" bears I will go to the gun safe and dig out the Win.mod 70 in .375 H&H.
I am a believer in enough gun.
TGR
Old December 8, 2011, 09:31 PM   #27
2500ak

I think the accuracy of the 45-70 is being underrated. No, a Marlin 1895 isn't a good candidate for a tack driver, but shooting off hand I can keep mine confined to fist sized groups at 100 yards. I use aperture sights.

The lighter 325 grain 45-70 loads (Leverlution, which are also the cheapest) kick about the same as heavy 305 grain .44 magnum rounds out of my much lighter Rossi M92. Which is quite a bit less than even a .308.

I haven't tried these Garrett Hammerhead 540 gr, which I think would probably kick in a very unpleasant way. I have run plenty of 430 grain gas checks through it. Recoil isn't awful with those, but I fired once with the stock poorly seated and it left a hell of a bruise. The LOP on the stock 1895 is way to short for me. If you're tall that may be something to consider.

I know a lot of people who use the .375 H&H, but I do not like that round. It is very accurate, and a great large game round, but the ones I've fired have all had very unpleasant, jarring recoil. Not much in the way of pushing, shoving, or slapping, just an unpleasant sort of concussive shockwave that travels across the cheekweld and gives me a headache.

Of the two the H&H is the superior round in all respects other than the 45-70 leaves a bigger hole, but I'll take the 45-70 any day of the week.

Last edited by 2500ak; December 8, 2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old December 8, 2011, 09:49 PM   #28
Buzzcook

The OP should search bear threads. He'll read the same arguments posted to this thread.

I agree with scorch. Any deer cartridge will do for black bear.
Brown bears need a little extra.
Old December 9, 2011, 01:36 AM   #29
Alaska444

Quote:
The OP should search bear threads. He'll read the same arguments posted to this thread.
Yeah, but it is so much fun to keep hashing it out even with the same drawn out arguments each and every time. There must a psychiatric diagnosis for this condition, but so be it. LOL

Tags
bear , bigbore , rifle