The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 14, 2011, 05:08 PM   #1
ckpj99

Savage Arms Model 64 Issue

Hi everyone, I purchased a .22 Savage Arms Model 64 a few month back. I was initially impressed with the accuracy and even the included scope (though I did replace it later).

Last time I was at the range, I had a strange problem. It seemed like the gun was trying to feed the entire magazine. By that I mean the back side of the magazine was slipping up in front of the bolt. I brought it back home and it seems like the slightest pressure on the magazine will cause it to slip up into the chamber.

I had put a few hundred rounds through it before this started happening. I had a new bag that I was resting the gun on which may have been lower than the one I was using before, so this problem may have been there all along.

Another idea: I've taken the gun apart for cleaning a few times. Is there a chance the gun would still fire, but have this problem, if I put something back together wrong?

Thirdly, I was shooting CCI Jacketed Hollow Points. Are these hot rounds that are pushing the spring back to far?

Another problem (ammo related?) is that these rounds often get pushed to far up when the gun cycles cause them to get pinched between the bolt and the area above the chamber. It has bend a few rounds in half.

So is this magazine problem inherent in the gun? And would it cause the rounds to pinch as well if there was pressure on the bottom of the magazine.

If it helps any, you have to have some finesse to get the rounds to chamber correctly when operating the bolt manually.

Thanks in advance for you help.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

My memory is not coming up with that model number, but I am going to assume it is a bolt action, box magazine repeater. If so, most of those Savage rifles have a magazine that has a square notch into which a square magazine catch fits, keeping the magazine from either dropping out or going in too far. It sounds like either the magazine or the magazine catch is worn and letting the magazine be pushed in. It is also possible you have the wrong magazine.

You will need to check the magazine; checking the magazine catch will require removing the stock. It is possible that the condition can be corrected without new parts, but that would depend on exactly what the problem is.

Jim
Old September 14, 2011, 07:57 PM   #3
ckpj99

The model 64 is a semi-auto. It has a 10 round single stack magazine. I own five. They all match the one that came with the rifle. There's really only one magazine available for the gun anyway.

That being said, it seems like the only holding the magazine in place is the latch used to release it.

I hope this helps give enough info for a good diagnosis. Thanks for you help. I'm having a small "shoulda bought 10/22" moment. Hope it passes.