The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 16, 2004, 12:45 PM   #1
Dean C

Marlin 39A double feed

I have a Marlin Golden Original 39A 22 that occasionally double feeds. I've inspected the cartridge cut-off and it's showing some wear but that would prevent feeding not cause double feeding. It's almost like the tube opening is too large. I'm perplexed. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old June 16, 2004, 01:04 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

In these cases, it's almost ALWAYS a cut-off problem of some sort.

It's unlikely the cut-off itself is worn, more likely is simple dirt and fouling around and under the cut-off, or in the action or bolt.

The cut-off is simply a shaped spring. If it's lost it's tension, the screw has loosened, the spring is catching on a burr in it slot, or it's just impacted with fouling, the cut-off will stick "open" and allow a double feed.

I'd suggest doing a full strip and clean of the action, using one of the "Blaster Spray"-type cleaners if you don't feel good about full disassembly yourself.

After THOROUGH cleaning, re-lube and check the cut-off for spring action, and free movement.
Then reassemble and check for proper activation by the action.
Sometimes, it's no more serious than the cut-off screw loosening just enough to allow the cut-off to either stick or shift.

For a full exploded view of the 39-A, look on Gun Parts Corporation's web site.

If worse comes to worse, just replace the cut-off with a new part, being SURE to order one for your era of Marlin.
Old June 16, 2004, 10:05 PM   #3
Dean C

I'll do the complete cleanup and post the results. Thanks for the reply, I'm only moderately perplexed now.

By the way, I'm looking for another 39A for my youngest son. Any out there?
Old June 26, 2004, 09:23 AM   #4
Dean C

Thanks Dfariswheel. I took everything apart and thoroughly cleaned. Two things came up. First I noticed that the cut-off was flush with the body at the screw and just slightly lower at the business end. I gently adjusted it to be flush through the full length. (this was probably the main issue) The second thing is that the thorough cleaning had a profound effect on the re-uniting of the two body halves. They came together easily and when I tightened the main screw it felt like it came to a complete stop as opposed to just snugging up. Lubed it too while it was apart. I ran about 200 rounds through with absolutely no double feeds. I even tried several different brands. The action felt like a new rifle. Thanks again for causing me to be thorough instead of just a quick clean.
dean