The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 18, 2017, 05:12 AM   #26
Mallard76

My .308 prefers the Federal Vital Shok 165r Sierra Game King. They have chalked up 37 deer to date.
Old August 18, 2017, 09:53 PM   #27
458winshooter

308 ammo

The new Browning BXR is just the ticket I have it for both my 30-06 and 300 win mag .It of very good quality and the price is a couple dollars less than any other brand from what I've seen.They come out with this for that reason.
Old August 21, 2017, 05:29 PM   #28
langenc

$5 and #25--Corelokts--150 gr and the deer will be dead..
Old August 21, 2017, 07:45 PM   #29
Kachok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard76 View Post
My .308 prefers the Federal Vital Shok 165r Sierra Game King. They have chalked up 37 deer to date.
I used to use those 165gr Game Kings in my 30-06, deer never knew what hit them but at 2930fps they make a horrid mess of a deer up close. Switched to TTSX to reduce the damage a bit, we all like ethical kills but a 9.5" exit wound is excessive.
Old August 22, 2017, 08:00 AM   #30
Zen Archery

Deer under 150 yards you don't need premium ammo. No disrespect but deer are soft hide and my experience is a standard soft point or speer point bullet will do just fine at that distance.
Old August 24, 2017, 07:15 AM   #31
Picher

A few years ago, my friend's son bought him a Ruger American in .308 and he brought it to me for re-mounting the scope and sighting it in. He didn't have any ammo for it, so I looked around and couldn't find any Remington or Winchester ammo in several stores, but found some Federal Fusion 150s at Kittery Trading Post.

I was very impressed with both the rifle and ammo, shooting a 3/4" MOA group. He went on to kill a nice buck with the rifle and the bullet performed very well.

I've never shot Fusion in any of my rifles, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for deer.
Old August 24, 2017, 11:29 AM   #32
jimbob86

Quote:
On deer I have had about 50% of the Sierra bullets I have used over the last 50 years have blown up, and so far I have not seen even one Burger that didn't blow up on ANY animal ANY time at ANY distance, ----but other then those, it's hard to find a 150 grain 308 load that would not be excellent for any deer any where
Did the Sierras or Bergers penetrate to the vitals before coming apart? What was your estimated impact velocity ?

Those bullets are designed to do that, having thin jackets and very soft lead cores. If you want exit wounds, and shots are short, then those would not be a good choice for you. I like the Game King precisely because it comes apart at high impact velocity, after penetrating about 6 to 8 inches: if a deer is coming right down a trail at you, and you shoot him with a controlled expansion bullet, or even a heavy for caliber cup and core bullet known for penetration, such as the Corlokt or Interlock) you are in for a wonderful treat when you field dress that animal.

Quote:
That would be how much damage to the deer will they do? Light bullet's at higher velocity usually have a bad habit of creating to much damage. The idea IMO, is to kill the animal quickly and preserve as much meat as possible. That pretty much rule's out any shot with any bullet that will go through meat
The answer to meat damage is don't shoot them in the meat. Behind and below the shoulder wastes very little, unless you are partial to lungs..... I would not even know how to cook them....

Quote:
we all like ethical kills but a 9.5" exit wound is excessive.
What did the deer weigh? I've shot deer broadside with a 150 gr Gameking with 2950 muzzle velocity, range about 15 feet.... exit wounds were only a bit bigger than thumb size.... I find 9 1/2" hard to believe ..... maybe a blood clot under the hide that big, but a near 10 inch hole in the offside? That's peggin' the BS meter.
Old August 25, 2017, 04:02 AM   #33
Rob96

Couple of years ago I took a buck with a 180gr Sierra GK. Broadside shot through the ribs at 86yds. Through and through with a quarter sized exit. 2 weeks later I took a doe from the same stand and same spot but hit her shoulder on a slight angle. Almost severed the leg and the exit left a 8" long by 4" wide hole in the offside ribs. Unlike the buck that just dropped she actually ran towards me with the almost severed leg spinning in the air and her insides spilling out of the giant exit. She dropped 20' in front of my stand.

This was in a 300WM moving at about 3,000fps.
Old August 26, 2017, 12:30 AM   #34
jimbob86

Quote:
This was in a 300WM moving at about 3,000fps.
Too much gun for little deer.
Old August 26, 2017, 04:39 AM   #35
Rob96

Smaller deer plus direct hit on bone. Textbook performance on the buck
Old August 26, 2017, 07:20 AM   #36
Wyosmith

If you are not a Hand loader, I'd say the WW White box (now silver box) 150 grain Power Point, The Remington Green Box 150 grain Core-Lokt, or the Hornady "white tail" are all about as good as you can do
For deer you will not be able to tell much difference between any of these and the best Premium ammo loaded with Nosler Partitions, but all cost far less. The premium bullets start to show their stuff on larger animals such as elk where penetration needs to be deeper and bones are bigger.
But all 3 of those loads will zap any deer and exit in most cases.

Tags
.308 , deer , hornady , remington , whitetail