The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 11:29 PM   #1
JonnyDeath

A shotgun?

I am unsure of 12 or 20 gauge.

The only thing I remember about a 12 is shooting my dad's pistol grip glossy jet black Mossberg. I was just a kid but, I don't remember it being as much fun as I expected it to be lol.
It was like firing a cannon at 15.

I guess what I'm getting at is if I take the shotgun out a lot, am I going to get worn out fast and sick of the mule kick coming out of a 12 gauge?

I've shot about every caliber gun but it's been many years since I was out on the range. Well over a decade.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:49 PM   #2
sarge1967

If you have a range that offers rentals near by I would suggest trying some different shotguns there. Or perhaps you have a friend who shoots and could help you out. I am a 12 gauge guy. I do not shoot pistol grip 12 gauge guns though. I have 2 Remington 870s both are tactical guns. A stock on a shotgun makes a world of difference.
Old January 30, 2013, 01:18 AM   #3
Gazpacho

Ammo choices and availability for 12 gauge significantly supersedes that of 20 gauge. 20 gauge shells are significantly smaller when considered in bulk.

If I were in your position, I would start with a good 12 gauge pump and a variety of 2 3/4" loads.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:07 AM   #4
JimmyR

Why a shotgun

Ok, so lets step back and ask a few questions-

1) What is the purpose for this shotgun (i.e. hunting, home defense, truck gun, etc.)?

2) Who will be using it (i.e. a 250 lb man, 100 lb woman, 10 year old child, all of the above, etc.)?

For hunting, I would look at my local laws and regulations concerning shotgun use while hunting. For home defense, I would agree that a good pump is probably your best bet. 12 or 20 guage will both perfom well for HD, so think about who will be shooting your weapon before you pick. I have a 20 ga Rem 870 youth model that I keep by my bed- 4+1 shells of 7 1/2 will still put a 1 1/2 inch wound in a person at 21 yards (based on my range trip) with each shot. I picked the 870 because it came with the 21 in barrel, and the light weight makes it easy to move through my home if needed.

As to your first experience, you mentioned a pistol grip shotgun. Was this a pistol grip only, or a pistol grip with a shoulder stock. If it didn't have a shoulder stock, try one with a shoulder stock and see if its a little more comfortable. A 12 ga has a kick that def takes some getting used to (and part of the reason I picked a 20 ga for HD)...
Old January 30, 2013, 03:23 AM   #5
BigD_in_FL

A heavy 12 gauge that FITS, coupled with light loads, will have a very light recoil. Using a PGO gun with zombie killer loads will definitely hurt a lot more
Old January 30, 2013, 09:56 AM   #6
kraigwy

No law says a shotgun has to kick. I don't do any bird hunting but do shoot a lot of shotgun ammo.

I keep it simple, I use 1 oz shot, in bird shot, slugs, and buck shot. I load them to about 1200 fps and there is vertically no recoil out of my Rem 870.

My grand kids shoot this load and don't complain about the recoil at all.

To my way of thinking, shooting is suppose to be fun, if you're getting beat to death, it isn't fun.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 30, 2013, 11:01 AM   #7
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
No law says a shotgun has to kick
Newton would disagree......

While your loads may not have a lot of recoil, there is still going to be some - and if the gun doesn't fit, the felt recoil will be even more aggravating. Sounds like your gun fits you and yours, but the OP's may not
Old January 30, 2013, 01:22 PM   #8
BigJimP

1 oz loads are reasonable ...and at 1200 fps ...they aren't going to wear you out / but they still have some recoil ....if your fundamentals are bad in terms of mounting the gun / or if the gun doesn't fit you properly ....and any pistol grip shotgun is probably your worst choice ( more recoil, difficult to shoot accurately, etc )

but a typical 20ga load...is 7/8 oz of shot...and it'll smack you as well ...especially if its a lighter gun ( which is typical )...
-----------
You need to get out to a range - and do some shooting and decide for yourself...on shotguns, rifles and handguns...fit is the issue !
------------
( I shoot 6 - 8 boxes of shotshells a week ---- not all 12ga / and I shoot 6 - 10 boxes a week in a variety of handguns ....9mm, .357 mag...and some .44 mag, etc ) ...some arthritis these days, a rebuilt shoulder, etc...and its no big deal ...