The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1
flashhole

A question for the old furts .... equipment companies

Can anyone piece together the history of which reloading equipment companies were merged or purchased by other companies? Which ones simply went out of business? I would like to be able to make the connection when I see older stuff on evilBay and other auction sites. It will be nice if we can build a composite picture from different pieces of information from different contributors.

Are you ready for civil war?

Last edited by flashhole; August 9, 2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old August 9, 2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Sevens

I'll be 38 soon... does that qualify? I've never thought of myself as an old furt!

RCBS began life as Rock Chucker Bullet Swage. From there, RCBS introduced other tools.
CCI began life as "Cascade Cartridge Inc".
Along with Speer (and Weaver) they were absorbed by Blount, Inc in the 1980s. In the 2000s, they and Federal Cartridge and all of it's subsidiaries were taken by Alliant Techsystems, better known as ATK. ATK owns so much stuff that it would be difficult to list them all. One of them is Alliant powders -- the former Hercules powder company. I believe that the Hercules powder name changed to Alliant in the 90's.

Hornady was a bullet maker back in the day and then began marketing loaded ammo under the Frontier brand and head stamp. They bought the Pacific company in the 70s or 80s and renamed many of the Pacific tools with the Hornady name. Now, Pacific is gone and all the tools are named Hornady along with all the bullets... loaded ammo, too.

Winchester powders and IMR branded powders are now owned by Hodgdon, but Hodgdon doesn't actually make any of them -- even the Hodgdon powders. They are all made by someone else and Hodgdon markets them and offers support for them.

I probably know some more, but that's all that is coming to me right off the hop. I hope to learn a heap more from other additions to this very interesting topic!
Old August 9, 2010, 08:50 PM   #3
BigJakeJ1s

Forster bought out Bonanza reloading equipment (co-ax press).

CH4D bought out or merged with C&H reloading equipment.

Andy
Old August 9, 2010, 09:16 PM   #4
flashhole

I believe Lee has always been Lee.

Don't know about Lyman's early days but I think they are in the same category as Lee, maybe Dillon is there too.

Herter's, Dunbar, Texan, Ponsness Warren, Micro Precision, Echo, Redding, R F Wells, they all have to have some history worth knowing. Hollywood is another one that comes to mind.

Can anyone list others with any background info?

Old August 9, 2010, 10:02 PM   #5
Loader9

I think Ideal must have been among the first if not the first for handloading tools. Theirs was a hand press that looked like a pair of pliers. I have several although I've never used one. Here's a linky to a pic of one:
http://www.neaca.com/images/Lyman_Id...l_and_Box_.JPG

Cowboys and buffalo hunters used equipment like this to load their ammo while on the hunt. They would shoot an animal and hopefully recover the bullet. They would recast the bullet in a bullet mould and then grease it with whatever lube they had and reload it with black powder. We've come a long way since then. I believe Lyman bought out Ideal.
Old August 10, 2010, 04:10 PM   #6
flashhole

You can probably account for the old Winchester hand tools in the same way.

Old August 10, 2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Lyman Gunsight Manufacturing started in 1878, and in the 1930s acquired Ideal, which gave it a solid entry into the reloading end of things.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 10, 2010, 05:47 PM   #8
jmortimer

Lee changed its name from Lee Engineering to Lee Precision (had something to do with the powder dippers if I remember correctly - love those dippers) - just read that yesterday as I was thumbing through Modern Reloading by Richard Lee who has a good amount of reloading history and brand/people names in his fantastic book. Was on the Lyman site a couple days ago and read their company history for some reason - I'm just an info junkie. I would suggest going to the company web sites and reading the "Company History" links as well as doing google searches on the names dropped by Richard Lee. I bet the man himself would respond to your inquiry about specific equipment. I think this is an interesting topic. Thanks for the thread Flashhole
Old August 10, 2010, 06:18 PM   #9
flashhole

I share your enthusiasm for the dipper cups. I wish they had finer granularity. If they came out with a "tweener" set that fell between the current set folks who own the original would scarf them up.

Old August 11, 2010, 04:48 AM   #10
10-96

Didn't somebody on here tell me that Herters started out making and selling farm tools and implements?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 11, 2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

"If they came out with a "tweener" set that fell between the current set folks who own the original would scarf them up."

I've made my own "tweeners" using cut down cartridge cases to which I've soldered or glued a wire loop handle.

Old August 11, 2010, 08:27 AM   #12
spacecoast

Quote:
I share your enthusiasm for the dipper cups. I wish they had finer granularity. If they came out with a "tweener" set that fell between the current set folks who own the original would scarf them up.
It's easy to make the "tweener" cups, just take the next biggest size and sand them down to what you need. They are cylindrical inside so the volume varies directly with depth. You can also make tweeners out of empty cartridge cases, obviously.
Old August 11, 2010, 10:21 AM   #13
zippy13

Anyone know what became of the company that made Hollywood reloading equipment?
Old August 11, 2010, 10:26 AM   #14
hivel37

I have a set of Lachmiller dies. Really nice.

Don't know if they were absorbed or just closed the doors.

Also have an ancient Redding powder measure. Well, maybe not that old since I think they started business in the '40's.
Old August 11, 2010, 10:30 AM   #15
Kevin Rohrer

Hollywood Gunshop

Quote:
Anyone know what became of the company that made Hollywood reloading equipment?
Someone bought the company and is supposedly still in business. If you do a search, you will find some unflattering articles about his business practices. I wouldn't buy from him unless I could exchange my money for the press in person.

You are located near him.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old August 21, 2010, 07:11 AM   #16
hendrixhendrix

I missed the last 20 years.

Where did Canjar triggers go?
Old August 21, 2010, 07:49 AM   #17
GP100man

Did`nt marlin make bullet molds to match there rifles at 1 time ????

To make an adjustable "tweener" pick an apporopriate case size & D&T the primer , adjust the screw/bolt in/out for adjusting throw. attach handle using the jam nut .
Old August 21, 2010, 07:59 AM   #18
flashhole

I don't see a mention of Lachmiller either. Seems lots of companies have come and gone.

Old August 21, 2010, 09:02 AM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Did`nt marlin make bullet molds to match there rifles at 1 time ????"

Possibly, but I'd suspect that the molds were actually made by Ideal for Marlin.

Old August 21, 2010, 09:18 AM   #20
Jim Watson

Star Machine Co. made THE progressive loader for many years.

SAECO (Santa Anita Engineering Co.) made bullet molds and a small line of reloading equipment. Redding picked them up for the molds but did not continue their dies and excellent powder measure.