The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 14, 2009, 12:11 PM   #1
2ndAmendmentForever

? about a Hopkins & Allen Acme Hammerless...

I recently acquired a Hopkins & Allen Acme Hammerless No. 1.....

I was looking for an unusual antique firearm....

The top of the frame is stamped:

HOPKINS & ALLEN MFG. Co.
ACME HAMMERLESS No. 1
PAT. MAR. 28. 71 JAN. 6. 88
32 CAL. CENTRE FIRE

The bottom of the barrel is "machine stamped":

PATENT APPLIED

Then right after that, is what looks to be "hand stamped":

I picked up Joseph Vorisek's book,

FIFTY YEARS OF GUNMAKING
The Story of the
THE HOPKINS & ALLEN ARMS COMPANY
1867 TO 1917

and in Chapter 6, The Merwin, Hulbert Series, on page 45, he writes:

"I have included one other revolver here, the ACME HAMMERLESS, that I have some difficulty with when I try to determine how long it was made and why it was discontinued.

It bears a strong resemblance to the M-H XL series of solid frame revolvers which indicate to me that these guns were an outgrowth of the M-H line. However a good case could be made that these little revolvers were designed to be sold by Hopkins & Allen on their own.

The only specimen I have unearthed to date was in .32 caliber and one has been reported in .38 caliber, but I suppose that they must have been made in .22 caliber as well.

What I don't understand is why they seem to have been made for only a short period of time, apparently between 1893 and 1898.

The gun itself is an inexpensive solid frame revolver with an internal hammer and a sliding safety on the top rear of the grip strap.

The gun would seem to have been a marketing dream: a small cheap hammerless .32 caliber pocket revolver.

It should have been very popular and should have sold well, yet their is little evidence that either H&A or the Hulbert Bros. ever put any effort into its sale. I have not come across any catalogs that describe it, nor any ads touting it. Instead it just seems to have appeared, stayed a while and then dropped from sight."

Can anyone provide any insight on that number 3555, or add anything more to the "Acme Hammerless No. 1?

Thanks!
Old July 15, 2009, 10:15 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

That book is (AFAIK) the only one in existence on the H&A company, a major arms company for many years. But with no existing factory records, it is short on solid information. That quote is an example, few facts and a lot of speculation. Still, I doubt you will get anything better.

Jim
Old July 15, 2009, 10:23 PM   #3
2ndAmendmentForever

Appreciate it Jim....