The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 15, 1999, 04:53 PM   #1
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

1: Anyone make them?

2: If so, who, and how much do they cost?

3: Is it legal to make them oneself?
Old June 15, 1999, 06:59 PM   #2
Ewok

Check http://www.GunAccessories.com/TecLoader
Old June 16, 1999, 02:11 PM   #3
NJW

A couple bof thoughts on the SG speedloader.

- They are fast but take pratice top reliably use them and even then they can be unreliable

- They require the use of a reciever mounted bracket that means you can't use any other reciever mounted devices like a sidesaddle.

- There has been some talk on the IPSC list that they cause the shells to go off during the loading process. I don't think that the evidence supports the claim but there are those who are still making it.

I have them for my Benelli M3S90 and my 1100.

NJW in AZ
Old June 16, 1999, 02:15 PM   #4
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Thanks for the info, guys. That TecLoader looks too clumsy, IMHO.

NJW, I would think that if there were incidents of shells going off, the mediots would work themselves into a lather about it.

I've started working on a design of my own. Should work pretty well, and not require any external brackets. It will have only one moving part, and that made of steel, so reliability shouldn't be a problem.

------------------
"When you go down, you go down fighting."
Sepultura, "Ambush"

Old June 16, 1999, 04:57 PM   #5
motorep

There is documentation of shells cooking off while using a TecLoader- one at a USPSA 3gun Nationals, one here in Colorado- happened to a personal acquaintance, and one related to me by a USPSA official. My acquaintance was injured and says that the matter was settled by the manufacturer for an undisclosed sum. Our local 3gun organization does not allow their use as a result.
Old June 16, 1999, 05:06 PM   #6
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Lovely. I'm unable to find any documentation, but my mind is pretty much made up.

Motorep, any idea how the kBs happened?

------------------
"When you go down, you go down fighting."
Sepultura, "Ambush"

Old June 16, 1999, 06:02 PM   #7
motorep

When the shells are leaving the loader and entering the magazine they have to make a turn, they don't go straight in, we've talked it over a lot and the best guess is the brass edge hitting the primer, setting off that shell and the others in line ahead of it. Could be a high primer, I don't know, I made up my mind long before we decided as a group to stop using the Tecloader. It made my shotgun stage times slower but I felt much better not looking at a face full of shells.
Old June 16, 1999, 07:09 PM   #8
motorep

Oops, I didn't really mean the brass edge hitting the primer, I meant the leading edge of the shell hitting the primer, makes more sense that way, right?
Old June 17, 1999, 01:08 AM   #9
Daniel Watters

Others have suggested that the problem lies with combining the TecLoaders with the DMW 'Easyloader' oversized carrier release for the Remington 1100/11-87, especially if the Easyloader has been slightly shortened. The theory is that a primer can hit the leading edge of the Easyloader if the TecLoader is being inserted at certain angles.

[This message has been edited by Daniel Watters (edited June 17, 1999).]