The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 26, 2001, 12:23 PM   #1
greg c

Red label- swinging good time!

I was out quail hunting with a friend the other day, me with my franken gun 870 MM with a spare blued barrel on top and he with a ruger red label 26". I got a chance to mount and shoot that red label a few times and boy is it sweet! I liked how light it was (nice for carrying, anyways) and how quick it was to mount and swing. Now my problem is that I think I want a SS model. ($$$)

*aarg!*

I've read through the some old posts, anybody have personal experiences to share, or perhaps a 26" they'd like to sell?
Old October 26, 2001, 07:32 PM   #2
rugerfreak

I had one with 28'' barrels and a straight stock-----it was a good gun----my only problem with it was that it was too big and heavy for me to carry all day-----seems like all the guns I buy are getting lighter these days---no spring chicken anymore here.
Old October 28, 2001, 01:00 AM   #3
addecus

straight (english) or curved grip

Any opinions on mount and swing using either ?
Old October 29, 2001, 01:22 PM   #4
Kobra

I have one in SS with 26" barrels. I love it and enjoy being different. I even bought an extra full Ruger choke just so I could do a little "cheating" at the informal clay shoots I attend with friends.
Old October 30, 2001, 01:20 PM   #5
greg c

That SS model looks great, I think it would look even better with a wood stock. Going quailing again tomorrow- have to work out the 870 some more!

Any probs with your SS model?
Old November 1, 2001, 02:05 PM   #6
Kobra

Not a lick of problems out of it. But really how is a SS O/U really going to fail - that's part of the reason I bought it. Wood can probably be had either as an extra from Ruger or I have a Weigand(sp?) catalog that lists wood for these too that I got when looking for options on A-5.