The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2010, 02:43 PM   #1
phattacorider

Girlfriend's first gun, Taurus PT709 slim

And she is in love with it! She likes the feel of the gun, it's size relative to her hand. She still needs to work on her firing, as she "jerks" the weapon just before it fires trying to antivipate the recoil, or from the fear of an uncontrollable recoil...? I fired it a few times, and cleaned it with (okay, for) her, here is what I think about it. I'm still a little new with guns so please excuse my lack of proper terminology, lol.

The PT709 is light, very thin, and perfect for conceal carry, but not so much for those of us who have large hands or long fingers. I'm 6'1 and normally I fire my gun with the tip of my finger on the trigger, I noticed this one I had half my index finger poking through the trigger guard, really got in the way and hurt my accuracy and I don't like to fire with so much bend in my nuckles. This gun is great for conceal carry and first timers because it has two safeties, a manual safety and a trigger safety. I'm not fond of the trigger safety for the only reason that there is still protrusion of the safety when firing, to me it's just not comfortable. This gun actually has quite a bit more recoil than my Cougar 8000F, I assume this is due to the weight of the slide. One very positive thing with this is it's trigger reset, it's very short so in the event you need ro rapid fire 7+1 rounds, you'll unload quickly. If you still have a round in the chamber and need to reload mags, you can still fire it off because the gun does not have a magazine release safety. Loading the rounds into the single-stacked mag is actually quite easy and doesn't require much brawn until the 5th round, and even then you don't need to be built any larger than with twig arms to do it. This gun has a hammer-free design so if ever you're in a struggle for it, the last thing you need to worry about is someone keeping the hammer from engaging the firing pin. And finally, if the bullet doesn't fire, you pull the trigger another time since a lot of FTF's need that second "slap in the face" to go.

Firld stripping is quite tricky. You need to pull back the slide, pull down the slide release levers on BOTH sides of the gun simultaneously, let the slide forward, then release the slide releases and pull the trigger. The slide will come about 7mm off the front of the frame, then it just takes some pursuasion to get it off. The rest is a breeze, pin removal which has the spring built onto it, the barrel and center block (I believe that's what it's called), the slide, frame, and you're ready to clean. Like all other take-downs, it's a matter of getting used to it.

All that matters is my girlfriend likes it, better yet, she loves it! She looked at it, and picked it. I really don't think she could have made a better choice for herself. I would highly recommend this for anyone who demands a great CCW with full-sized features in a compact package.
Old February 17, 2010, 01:12 PM   #2
gotigers

thanks for the review. I have been looking at a slim carry 9. I have been looking at the Walther PPS and Kel-tec PF9.

Today i got to handle all three and dry fire them. The Taurus PT709 Slim has the best trigger; DA travel, SA travel, pull weight and reset. I really like the trigger. The trigger feels very similar to a Glock 19. I am trying to find a pt709 to rent or a friends to shoot.

The size is nice. Under an inch, slightly thicker than a PPS but smaller overall. Very similar to a PF9.
Old February 18, 2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Madcap_Magician

Thanks for the review, my wife was looking at that one.
Old February 18, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4
B18C5-EH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers
thanks for the review. I have been looking at a slim carry 9. I have been looking at the Walther PPS and Kel-tec PF9.

Today i got to handle all three and dry fire them. The Taurus PT709 Slim has the best trigger; DA travel, SA travel, pull weight and reset. I really like the trigger. The trigger feels very similar to a Glock 19. I am trying to find a pt709 to rent or a friends to shoot.

The size is nice. Under an inch, slightly thicker than a PPS but smaller overall. Very similar to a PF9.
Hey just a heads up about dry firing the Kel-Tec PF-9 should you buy one:

Either use Snap Caps or try not to dry fire frequently, and never dry fire with slide off <-- clickable
Old February 18, 2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Leejack

Excellent! I'm glad she is so happy with it!

Happy shooting,

Lee
Old February 18, 2010, 11:35 AM   #6
gotigers

Quote:
Hey just a heads up about dry firing the Kel-Tec PF-9 should you buy one:
Take the PF9 off my list. Dry firing is part of my routine. Thanks for the heads up. The gun shop attendant obviously didnt know either.
Old February 18, 2010, 05:07 PM   #7
phattacorider

Thanks for the support everyone! Yeah she loves this puppy and is overzealous to fire it some more. I never did check out the PF-9 though, which I believe she would enjoy as well if it's size is similar to the 709. For anyone who is looking to get a 709, my girlfriend and I give it a thumbs up for the 300 problem-free rounds it has seen so far.

Tags
concealed carry , first gun , pt709 , taurus