The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2009, 10:25 AM   #1
Dustin0

Shotsheel Crimp

When reloading shot shells the is a starter crimp then the final crimp is a roll crimp. I think the used reload I got is setup wrong. Can someone please tell me if I'm right on what I'm thinking.

CRAP sorry for the typo. Its monday

Last edited by Dustin0; March 9, 2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Typo in the heading
Old March 9, 2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The starter crimp has ribs for the shell folds in a conical inside profile. It just gets the folds correctly started and lined up. When you reload, if the shell's original crimp folds are not lined up with the starter crimp ribs, the shell is turned to align with those ribs as they slip between the old folds. (You have to be sure the starter has the same number of ribs as the number of folds in the shells you are reloading; 8 or 6). The final crimp usually has a sleeve to constrain the outside of the shell from bulging, and it rams the folds into final position below flush with the shoulder, and has a ring profile for constraining the shoulder profile at the edge of the crimp.

I don't recall whether the current shotshell loader terminology calls that final crimp a roll crimp or not? To me, a roll crimp is what what was used on the mouths of the old-fashioned brass and paper shells to restrain the end wad that was over the shot rather than folds. But that may just be me.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 9, 2009, 12:24 PM   #3
oneounceload

Final crimp is what is used on modern shells with petals.....a roll crimp rolls the edge down over a shot card (some modern Fiocchis have them). That requires a different crimping dies
Old March 9, 2009, 12:38 PM   #4
snuffy

Well you didn't say what brand used reload(ER) you have. The sequence is start crimper after shot dump, then the final crimp station. Reloading machines ALWAYS have fold type or star crimpers. A roll crimp is what you see on slug loads, and some old buckshot loads. The Hornady 366 has a taper crimp station after the final crimp to make the edge of the crimp more tapered to work in any semi auto shotty.

Here's before and after a roll crimp is applied;

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 9, 2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Dustin0

I am using a Lee Load Fast. It has a crimp that runns the length of the on the final stage. The crimp before it is like this one BPI Roll Crimper 12 Gauge
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=730142
Well its the Lee version but should that be the last stage on the loader?

Well I am loading for trap 1Oz loads I can’t get the loader to put out a crimp that will stay closed. And there is no shoulder below the rim of the shell.
Old March 9, 2009, 09:49 PM   #6
.45 COLT

The LEE LOADFAST doesn't roll-crimp, just the 6 or 8 point folded crimp. I just checked my manual to be sure there was no provision for roll-crimping. The manual isn't the best I've ever seen, but it does deal with crimp problems. If you need a manual, you can download it here:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data.../Load-Fast.pdf

LEE hides that download pretty well on their website, but it's there.

DC
Old March 10, 2009, 12:19 AM   #7
snuffy

Quote:
Well I am loading for trap 1Oz loads I can’t get the loader to put out a crimp that will stay closed. And there is no shoulder below the rim of the shell.
If you can't crimp it properly, IE it won't stay closed, you're doing something wrong. Either the wad is too long or you have too much shot in the wad.

Stop what you're doing before you hurt yourself and destroy your shotty. Get a shotshell manual, the Lyman 48th is a good one. Follow the recipes in there as to which wad, powder, primer and shot amount to use.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?