The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 18, 2011, 09:27 PM   #1
bighorn

Win. 1300-what's the difference in the Ranger version?

Some years ago--in the mid 80's--I purchased a Winchester 1300 12 guage. Having owned a number of pump guns over the years, all of which I short shucked, I instantly fell in love with this gun because of the smooth reliable action. For the first time in my life, I never short shucked a pump. Along about 2005 I purchased a "Ranger" version of the 1300. That gun is anything but smooth. I really got a steal on it price wise, but considering the quality it was anything but a bargin. The action on my "Ranger" is rough. Parts don't seem to fit together well. Takes twice the effort to pump the action compared to my orginal 1300. Choke tubes won't screw in smoothly, try to get cross threaded and so on. I'd like to purchase another 1300 just like the one I bought in 1986, but I'm not sure how to be certain it isn't the cheaply made "Ranger" version of the 1300. When U.S. Repeating Arms went under a few years back were they still making the good quality 1300 or had they switched all over to the Ranger version? When looking for a used 1300, how do I make sure it isn't the cheap Ranger version? Thanks for the help!
Old April 18, 2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Doyle

Winchester's "Ranger" line was its economy version of the main seller. They sold both shotguns and rifles with the Ranger label. As far as I have been able to find, the receivers and internal parts were the same as the regular model. The stocks were birch (usually uncheckered or had minimal checkering) instead of walnut. Bolts (in the Model 70 rifle version) didn't have jeweled bolts, etc.

In usability and function - they are equal to the regular models.
Old April 18, 2011, 10:14 PM   #3
bighorn

Thanks Doyle for the information. Just to get it straight, the only difference was the wood??? Wow, thier quality must have really fallen off near the end. Or maybe I just got a lemon. Thanks again for the reply.
Old April 19, 2011, 06:31 AM   #4
new_scopeshooter

I have a 1300 my dad got for me 1993. Its is smooth. I like it a lot better then the 870s I have. Let a buddy barrow it for deer hunting and he fell in love with it. He bought a used ranger with a slug B. It is has smooth as mine. Hope u don't have a lemon.
Old April 19, 2011, 08:29 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

Can't speak for shotguns, but I have a Ranger in 30-06 I bought in the 80s for $180.00 and slapped a garage sale scope on. I did have it floated and bedded.
In competition, with my reloads, it will give sub-.75" 100 yard groups consistently. Bolt is fine and never fails to eject. Wood is not pretty, dead deer don't care.
Lacking checkering is something I do miss. In cold weather the smooth wood is sometimes hard to hold. I plan to put on a set of those stick-on rubber grips on forearm and pistol grip.
Again, not a show-off pretty gun but very utilitarian and dependable.
IMHO, can't go wrong.
Old April 19, 2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Doyle

When you say you got a lemon, exactly what kind of behavior are you seeing in your shotgun that is substandard? Perhaps it is something that someone here can assist you with fixing.