The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 23, 2009, 04:49 PM   #1
willp58

Marlin 88 dissassembly

Hello,

I have taken in a Marlin 22 cal, model 88 and need to tear down.

The back receiver plug seems to be held in position by 2 retractable side locks but with them retracted, the plug only comes partway out.

My question is:
Is there anything else that prevents that plug from coming out? I hate to force it.

Thanks!

Bill P
Old January 23, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2
HammerBite

Wow! I thought I was the only person in the world who had a Marlin 88. I guess there are at least two of us.

When I read your post I got mine out of the safe and took it apart to see what I could find out for you. My receiver plug came out easily.
  • If the gun is cocked, it might not be possible to push the lugs in far enough to be completely clear of the receiver. I always drop the striker first on a snap cap or empty case.
  • While pinching in the locking lugs, smack the rear of the plug with the heel of your hand to momentarily take the load off of them. On my gun, the lugs then push in easily and the plug will pop right out.
  • Before reassembling, put a bit of grease on the surfaces which cam the lugs outward. This will make things a bit smoother next time.

Last edited by HammerBite; January 24, 2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old January 24, 2009, 07:36 AM   #3
willp58

Thank you for the come back!

This plug retracts about 1/4" (after the locks are disengaged) and stops dead..

I was afraid to force it any further. I soaked it with breakfree and will now continue to work it out.

Thanks again!

Bill P
Old January 24, 2009, 04:02 PM   #4
HammerBite

If the plug moved 1/4" it should have come the rest of the way. Maybe the inside of the receiver is burred or scored. You might try twisting the plug after that first quarter inch.
Old January 25, 2009, 05:49 AM   #5
willp58

Ok I got it out. I doubt if the gun has ever been dissassembled.

Ended up putting the barrel into a padded vise and wrapping a piece of 1/16" rubber around the back plug and grabbing it with vise grips..Yes! I know puke vise grips!
There was no choice .. Anyways I got the vise grips on and rapped them sideways with a ballpean hammer in the direction of pull.
5 minutes of that and it finally came out.

Got the bolt handle out and the bolt retracts so I got it all cleaned and lubed.

I was as careful as possible but did make some minor marks on the plug which I dressed up and reblued..

Got all the crud and burrs off the plug and inside the receiver so it goes back together easily now.

Thanks again Hammerbite!
Old January 25, 2009, 06:42 AM   #6
HammerBite

I'm glad to know that you got things cleaned up and working smoothly.
Old April 30, 2009, 05:01 PM   #7
9mm Nutcase

Hey, not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but I wanted to jump in. I just inherited my grandfather's Model 88, and it hasn't been out of the closet since he taught me to shoot over 15 years ago. Unfortunately, my experience maintaining long-arms starts and stops with bolt-actions. Everything else has been automatic and revolver handguns. Anyone know where I can track down an owner's manual for this gun? I want to strip it down and clean the years out of it. (I couldn't even follow what was above...)