The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2009, 11:17 PM   #1
mnhntr

chronograph ?

who has one and what are the likes and dislikes?
Old April 4, 2009, 11:56 PM   #2
RamSlammer

I have a Shooting Chrony F1 (el cheapo @ <$80) and it's served the need very well. IMHO chronographs turn a hobby into a science. Being able to measure velocity allows a handloader to perfect loads like nothing else.

While many reloading manuals give a velocity estimate for particular recipes, it's so much better to see just what it would be from the actual guns the loads will be shot from.
Old April 5, 2009, 01:34 AM   #3
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. A Chronograph is to a re loader what a Dyno is to a mechanic. If you dont know what to do with the data then they are a waste.
I have a Chrony Beta Master. It has a remote display that can be placed on the bench next to me. There are lots of different features available depending on your application, e.g. paintball, rapid fire, indoors, print out and others.
Old April 5, 2009, 08:40 AM   #4
tlm225

I also have a Chrony Beta Master. I loaded for over 25 years without a chrono, using the reloading manual results and "best guess" to know the performance of my loads. Now that I have a chrono it's great to actually KNOW what your load is doing.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:06 AM   #5
bluetopper

To me, a reloader without a chronograph is like driving your car without a speedometer.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:07 AM   #6
fineredmist

If you are serious about accuracy and loading then a chronograph is a useful tool, if not it is a waste of money and your time. The velocity numbers published in loading books is not always correct and the only way to determine yours is with a chrony.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Sam06

A Chronograph is a Must

I reloaded for about 15 years without one. Back then they were very expensive. Then they came out with the less expensive ones like the Chrony. I got a Shooting Chrony Alpha as my 1st one. It was a good machine but I wanted one with the remote readout so i sold it to a friend who wanted one. Now I have the F1 Master and it does everything I wanted it to do. Very easy to use.

Here's the one I have:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=688064

Midway has them on sale for $89.99 and that is a good deal. One of the best investments you will make as a reloader. Like the guys above said Its like driving without a speedometer. Once you start using it you can go get the free software like PointBlank and figure all kinds of stuff out. Or you can buy a Ballistics Program.
Old April 5, 2009, 03:44 PM   #8
James R. Burke

No dislikes. I have a middle of the road one. It is great. I use it every time I work up a load. The manual is never 100% on the money. I think a crony is one of the most needed pieces of equipment you should have! Keep it safe!
Old April 5, 2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Slamfire

I have the most expensive Shooting Chrono. I forget what model.

I find the thing frustrating to use. Slight misalignment or sunlight on the sensors create weird readings. I set the thing up with a bubble level. I don’t live on the equator, so the sun is never directly overhead. One sensor is often shaded, the other in light. This causes all sorts of crazy readings.

I shoot most of my pistol ammo in 50 round strings. Because pistol ammo comes in boxes of 50. The maximum string the stupid Chrony will average is 32 rounds.

Old April 5, 2009, 04:47 PM   #10
James R. Burke

You have a nice one. Much better than most.
Old April 5, 2009, 05:06 PM   #11
HiBC

ProChrono has servrd me very well.About $100.Was blown over by a friend with a 338 Lapua,it still works fine.

I did find if I am trying to use it at sundown my readings were high.

I find a chrono a very useful tool for lot to lot variation,having a known velocity for range tables,actually measuring velocity drop @300 yds for BC calculations,comparing loads,and,in bolt action modern rifles,there is a method I learned from a Sierra news letter about an indication of where max load is reached.

Last edited by HiBC; April 5, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old April 5, 2009, 06:40 PM   #12
PCJim

I also have the Chrony Beta Master (many thanks to my wife!), and have not had any problems with it (other than when it was set up too close for a rifle and muzzle blast was effecting the readings).

I have found that it only gets used after I've found a good grouping from reload tests. Otherwise, it is one of those tools that are very useful but that don't see the range all that much.
Old April 5, 2009, 07:19 PM   #13
a7mmnut

Chrony F1. It has narrow sky screens that sometimes require shading with paper in bright sun. No biggy. Works well on arrows, but be careful when lining up with a shotgun, etc. I always liked the looks of the Prochrono.

-7-
Old April 5, 2009, 10:59 PM   #14
arizona98tj

Quote:
I find the thing frustrating to use. Slight misalignment or sunlight on the sensors create weird readings.
Sorry to hear yours is such a PITA to use. That must make load workups a ton of fun.

FWIW, I use a PACT MKIV-XP Chronograph and Range Timer. It is a rare day when I have problems get consistent/accurate data. The one time I did, I laid a piece of cardboard over the diffusers and all was well. I bought it for the range timing features and then added the chrono screens later on. The unit sits on the bench with only the sky screens being down range in the blast zone.
Old April 5, 2009, 11:15 PM   #15
wyobohunter

shooting chrony alpha master

I don't know how I got by without it.
Old April 6, 2009, 09:11 PM   #16
Tucker 2

I was given the Chrony Master from Midway for my birthday last year. I've used it only outdoors but in varying light conditions and in the shade of a tree. I found that if it was missing a shot or acting up, it was because I had misplaced the distance to the muzzle. Otherwise it's worked well. The original battery is still in it (I've been carrying the replacement in my range bag). I thought at the time that the printer option was over kill, I don't think that now. I'm working up loads and writing down the figures with each string and well you get the picture. Maybe buy one with an option to hook a printer up if you find you need one. The remote head is a must.

Trying to work up loads without one is a bit like seeing only in black and white. You can get around, you're just not getting the whole picture.
Old April 6, 2009, 11:03 PM   #17
Hook686

I have the Shooting Chrony F-1 Master and the Alpha Master.

I use the F-1 Master (Master means remote reader) more than the Alpha Master. The Alpha keeps track of ten shots and displays averages, high, low, standard deviation, and spread. Personally the most important feature to me is the remote display. I do not fool with the statistics, just write down the fps after each shot is displayed.

These I bought cheap (on sale) from midwayusa.com. Cheap I think a good idea, as it seems to be 'When', not 'If' I shoot the chrony. I shot mine and Shooting Chrony charged me $30 to replace the sensor unit, with rods and sun screens included.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old April 7, 2009, 04:43 AM   #18
bgdv1

i use an older pact chrono. its nice because your control box is on the bench with you away from any potential oooppps ! i use it for my bow also.
Old April 7, 2009, 06:22 AM   #19
Magnum Wheel Man

I was going to start a different thread butt

My father in law had one... it has been sitting in an ammo can, in the original box since he died 12-15 years ago... I planned on using it this summer, as I'm working up some new loads, & expiriementing with several powders...

... hmmm... looking at it, I don't think he ever used it, it appears like its new, & with a fresh battery, seems to work... not a scratch on it, & no flash burn or sign that the sky screens ( if you can call those little cards with 1.5" X 3" holes, sky screens ) have been used at all... it looks like from the directions that it only records one shot at a time ( no strings, no averages ) it is a model F with no number designations...

I'm not opposed to spending $100.00 on a new one, with more features... however, most of my load testing will be on single shot Contenders, & I have my own range, so range traffic or time is not an issue...whats your thoughts??? use the maybe 20 year old "new Chrony" that will take longer to use, & require additional set up time to insure I'm not shooting the smaller sky screens, or buy the newer easier to use unit, then the question is to save or sell the old one ???
Old April 7, 2009, 06:11 PM   #20
Hook686

hmmm if the money is burning a hole in your pocket, then buy a new one. However I think the F-1 Chrony that records 1 shot is just fine. However ... if it is not the Master (remote screen display), the buy one with the remote display.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.