The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2009, 09:23 PM   #1
smaugh1

.223 casings too wide

What do you do if the bullet just falls down the casing?I have a 2 piece die set,do I need a 3?Or are the casings no good
Old April 6, 2009, 09:29 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

are you sizing the brass? Full length sizing or neck sizing? We need a little more info. Talk us through your process.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old April 6, 2009, 09:46 PM   #3
smaugh1

neck sizing,I have a case trimmer,but not that the shell is too long,the bullet,(on some)just drops all the way down,Ive tried adusting the die(s) and it all ends up with a stuck casing or over crimping
Old April 6, 2009, 09:49 PM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

ok, tell me what die set you are using and how you are setting them up. I need more info. Are you firing these rounds from a bolt rifle or semi-auto?

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old April 6, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5
smaugh1

rcbs sb die set .223 remington group a
I will be using a ruger mini 14 semi auto
I first use the expander/decapper,set the rod to go about3/16 past the primer and set the height so im sure It wont get stuck and well the expander doesnt really touch the casing because its already too wide,so I tried using the seater/crimper without the bullet but that makes it too small now the bullet wont fit
Old April 6, 2009, 10:08 PM   #6
vranasaurus

What do you mean set the height so that it won't get stuck?

It sounds like you are not sizing the cases properly. The bullets should not fall into a properly sized case.
Old April 6, 2009, 10:08 PM   #7
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

It seems like your sizing die is not set up properly. Are you following the instructions that came with the die set? Are you lubing your cases before sizing. Most die sets require that the sizing die touches the shellholder. If it is not, then chances are you are not sizing the case completely. Do you have any books or manuals??

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old April 6, 2009, 10:14 PM   #8
smaugh1

yeah ive got books and manuals,so I guess ill go read them
Old April 6, 2009, 10:16 PM   #9
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Ummm...yeah. You are suppose to read those before you reload.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old April 6, 2009, 10:28 PM   #10
vranasaurus

For your own safety you need to stop what you are doing and read the manuals that you have.

You don't even seem to have the basics of the reloading process down.

I am not trying to be an ass but it is dangerous to reload and not know what you are doing.
Old April 7, 2009, 07:34 AM   #11
kestak

Greetings,

vranasaurus is right. Reloading is not a hobby that you can do like playing cards and not be perfect. One mistake and you can blow up your gun, yourself or the shooter next from you.

You litterally handle explosives.

Thank you
Old April 7, 2009, 08:47 AM   #12
dlb435

I've got the same die set. Proper lube is very important.* The die should be set to almost touch the shell holder when the case is resized. Check the decapping pin and pin holder. This expands the neck to the correct size. If it is dirty or scared up it will ruin the brass. These small base dies take a lot of force to use. If you can use the regular die sets it's much easier to use and does not stress the brass as much.
I'm using the SB dies because my AR-15 will not lock up properly with brass done with a regular die set. My AK (in 5.56 NATO) will run with any old ammo.
Have you tried regular dies yet?
Did you read the die instructions?
Do you have the correct size bullets? (should be .224)
* Proper lube: There have been several threads about case lube. Too much lube and you will wrinkle the brass. Too little lube and you will stick cases. The spay on lubes take the least amount of skill or care. The wipe on lubes work best but you work harder.
What case lube are you using?
I'm using a 2 die set with the Lee Factory Crimp die as a third die. Probably not really needed, but auto loaders really slam the rounds in and I don't want any chance of the bullet shifting.

Last edited by dlb435; April 7, 2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old April 7, 2009, 09:15 AM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

Smaugh1,

Several things are wrong here. First, if the bullet falls in you are not resized. When you said trying to run the case in further didn't work because you got too much crimp, two alarms went off. First, if you are crimping when you think you are sizing, you have the seater die body in the press and not the sizing die. Second, a sizing die is normally set up to touch down on the shell holder, so there is no further adjustment available.

Additional concern: you said you are neck sizing-only, but planning to shoot in a Mini-14. Neck sizing is not normally satisfactory for any self-loader unless you are planning to feed the rounds in by hand, one-at-a-time. To guarantee feed from a magazine, either in a bolt gun or a semi-auto, you normally need to set the case shoulders back 0.002" minimum in a full-length sizing die or they will tend to jam on their way into the chamber. Neck sizing-only may let you get away without that for one loading cycle of once-fired brass, but each time you reload the cases, they form tighter and tighter into the chamber and quickly cease to spring back the 0.002" you need after the first reloading. Then the jams and case damage start to occur. I don't know your RCBS die set by number, but if it does not have a F.L. sizing die, you will need one. The inexpensive Lee die is just fine for the purpose, so it needn't cost a lot. If you were trying to neck size in a F.L. die by not tightening the die all the way down, but got a crimp, it still seems the wrong die body is in place. Only the seater die should have a crimp ring formed into it.

As suggested, a careful read of the instructions that came with the die set would help you a lot at this point. Reading a whole book cover to cover probably seems like too much when you are anxious to start loading, but you should at least have an experienced reloader walk you through the steps if you are going to try to skip that? I would not. I would do both, if possible. The reading is a good way to get a mental picture of what you are trying to do. That helps you spot and diagnose problems like the one you are having now.

Also, it is never impossible to get a factory defect. Do look at the numbering stamped into the dies to be sure they are the right ones and than nobody slipped the wrong die into the box. You can also check the diameter of the expander on the decapping stem to be sure it is the right size and not over-widening your cases. Call RCBS factory service if you have doubts. They are very helpful and will walk you through checking all that out.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; April 7, 2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old April 7, 2009, 12:24 PM   #14
TEDDY

sizeing

sounds like he is not sizing.and does not know how.when all else fails READ THE DIRECTIONS.he is more concerned about the decaper.and setting that.he will learn or else.
pray for ALL the new reloaders because they are trying to reload with out reading the manuals.that also is not conductive to helping our cause.