The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 17, 2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Ideal Tool

Minnie...Mama??

Hello, I came across this in a little book about strange occurrences during the American civil war. In Kentucky, union forces were arranged in front of farmers cabin, rebels came out of woods and started skirmishing, Family took refuge inside cabin, but their daughter age about 14 or 15 was facinated & stood in doorway to watch. A young union private was struck in scrotum..Ouch! by .58 minie ball..ball traveled on to strike this young girl in lower stomach. After battle, young solder was allowed to recover in cabin. They became friends..(nothing more..they were watched like a hawk by parents). promised to write each other. Boy got well, & returned to regiment. The girl after a few months found out she was pregnant! That o'l minie ball had done it's work! After war, young man returned & married girl..they had many children after this...in the regular way though! Believe it or not?
Old October 17, 2010, 01:27 AM   #2
the rifleer

Me thinks the myth busters busted this one...
Old October 17, 2010, 05:45 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

IF the child was male....

....would you call him a "son of a gun"?

Sorry guys.
Old October 17, 2010, 02:35 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Nice one Doc - I loved it!

I've heard this tale a number of times - not always based in that location. True or not? Who knows . . . . all I know is that after having shot Civil War muskets - .58 minies for years . . . . and using various targets and seeing the damage that they can do . . .. . I have to question the boy's ability to father children in later years after being shot in the scrotum. But then . . of course . . . after he had been shot . . . maybe he ended up with a "minie ball"? Groan . . . groan . . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 17, 2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
I have to question the boy's ability to father children in later years after being shot in the scrotum.
I seriously doubt it too. Even a spent minie wouldn't leave much.