The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2009, 07:58 PM   #1
webby4x4

Looking for best tubler/vibrator for the money

I've been thinking about buying a good VIBRATING style tumbler (case cleaner) and am seeing prices range from $50 to over $400.

As I've read on some other sights, apparently the motors tend to go out on the vibrating case cleaners, but those are generally the ones within my price range.

If possible, I'd like to be under or around the $100 mark, but I don't want to get a real **** either. I'd like to hear what everyone else's experience is.

Here are the units I'm looking at:
  • Lyman Turbo 600
  • Lyman Turbo 1200 with OUT Auto-Flo (I've heard the Auto-Flo is a waste of money)
  • Lyman Turbo 2500 Pro Magnum Cast Tumbler
  • RCBS Vibratory Case Tumbler
  • Hornady M-2 Cast Tumbler
  • Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator

The reviews on these units seem to be all over the board and at the extreme ends (people either hate 'em or love 'em). I also suspect that on some sites, manufacturers or distributors are posting as consumers as the reviews sound very "canned" or like propoganda. Nonetheless, I'm suspicious of some of these.

I'm looking for reliability and simplicity. I don't need fancy gadgets like timers or things like that.

So - if you had to spend right at, or under $100, which vibrating case cleaner would you recommend?

thanks,
Rick
Old April 12, 2009, 07:59 PM   #2
webby4x4

Oops... meant to write "tumbler", not "tubler" in the post subject.
Old April 12, 2009, 08:09 PM   #3
landcruzr

I've used this tumbler for over a year without any problems- I know its not a big name tumbler but it serves it purpose very well!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93252
Old April 12, 2009, 08:16 PM   #4
webby4x4

Sheesh - I NEVER thought of looking to Harbor Freight for something like this. Great idea.

Does it look like the motor is easy to replace, should it give up the ghost? Do you know if it uses a fairly standard motor? (If not, no big deal, @ $55).

Thanks,
Rick
Old April 12, 2009, 08:18 PM   #5
webby4x4

P.S. - landcruzr - Do you own an FJ40, or does the screen name signify something else? I ask because I own a '74 FJ40 Land Cruiser.
Old April 12, 2009, 08:37 PM   #6
landcruzr

The tumbler looks like it would take about five minutes to access the motor-four phillips head screws on the bottom will open the bottom up and give full access to the motor-without taking it apart-I cant tell you how difficult it would be to pull the whole motor- but it doesnt look like a big deal at all

my project truck is a 71 FJ- its another thing I've been working on for along time- When I'm done- I'll be able to say that I've turned every bolt!! Someday I'll drive it too -
Old April 12, 2009, 08:43 PM   #7
webby4x4

Tumbler - thanks, that's great info. I look forward to seeing what others have, and their thoughts about them too.

OFF TOPIC (Sorry, this will be short)... see attached photo of my '74 FJ40 (383 FI Stroker, Turbo350, Dana300, Ford 9" rear, etc...). Email me at rick @ 4x4review.com (remove spaces) - and we can exchange Cruiser stuff.

Thanks,
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3816a.jpg (154.8 KB, 36 views)
Old April 12, 2009, 09:02 PM   #8
maxwayne

I have had a very inexpensive tumbler that I got from Midway approx 20 years ago. I believe that they are now selling the Frankford.
Old April 12, 2009, 09:14 PM   #9
awaveritt

Cabelas is marketing it's own tumber kit and comes with tumbler, media separator, and corn cob media for just $58.99. Boutght mine a few weeks back and it works great. The best value I've found.
And it's made in the good ole USA, if that matters.