The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 15, 2017, 07:13 PM   #1
valkabit6

Extended chokes?

I'm not really familiar with the shotgun world, but I did buy a Browning A5 because it felt spectacular when I held it. What would be a good choice for a extended choke for the A5?
Old February 15, 2017, 08:06 PM   #2
FITASC

For what use?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 15, 2017, 08:19 PM   #3
valkabit6

Sporting Clays.
Old February 16, 2017, 03:31 PM   #4
BigJimP

Depending on which model you bought - it probably came with an IC, MOD and Full......../ you can shoot those...or I would just buy the Browning brand of extended chokes and start with an IC and MOD...( I like Browning Midas grade ).

Every sporting clays course is different ...but I probably shoot IC and MOD 90% of the time. ( but I carry a Cyl, Skeet, IC, MOD, Imp MOD and a Full ) in my vest.
Old February 16, 2017, 07:10 PM   #5
FITASC

If you have an IC and a Mod already, as Jim says, that's all you need. Extended chokes are nice to protect the muzzle or to see easily which choke is currently in the muzzle, but don't worry too much about changing chokes a lot. Learn to read the target line and rule one is to always use enough choke. A Mod can easily hit a 10 yard rabbit better than a skeet choke can hit a 45 yard crosser.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 16, 2017, 09:30 PM   #6
redrick

I would look at Trulock chokes if you want an extended choke , good people . If you don't like the choke send it back for a refund or exchange .