The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 3, 2013, 09:47 AM   #51
F. Guffey

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...nade-launcher/

I know nothing about the grenade launcher for the M1917, M1 Garand is another matter. It seems the effect is the same as the soldier has the butt of the rifles placed on the ground, There are documentaries on military channels that show soldiers firing rifle grenade launchers from the shoulder, it would appear they were turned half way around.

Thank you for taking the effort, I have not seen everything but wonder, with two rifles that look similar I wonder: Why would they paint one and not the other? I know, there is no answer.

Sten and Bren, I have a book that was written by an American “Just passing through Africa” on a Thumper, he wrote a review on the Bren and Sten.

F. Guffey

http://world.guns.ru/smg/brit/sten-e.html

http://www.vincelewis.net/brengun.html

Last edited by F. Guffey; October 3, 2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: add ?
Old October 3, 2013, 07:18 PM   #52
Snow Dog

Just going to throw my two cents in - here's a pic of my Winchester M1917. You can just see the remnants of a painted stripe around the tip of the forestock. It was originally red but over the years has faded to an orangey colour. There is no paint on the upper handguard but I believe it is a replacement anyways. Anyway, the story I got when I aquired the rifle is that the stripe was applied to distinguish the rifle as having a non-standard caliber (from a Commonwealth troopers point of view). These rifles were used by British, Canadian, Australian and other troops, usually in a rear echelon role (POW guards, train station guards etc.) as well as in "Dad's Army" and similar.

Old October 4, 2013, 08:35 AM   #53
F. Guffey

Snow Dog, Thanks for sharing, took two of my red and white banded rifles to the range along with the ‘ugly one’ and the Eddystone with the long chamber that went through UTAH and was stamped with EK. There was a shooter with all new equipment and a black rifle sitting next to me, he wanted attention so I gave him some. During the test firing, I did not notice a Chinese man from Taiwan walk up behind me and wait patiently, during a cease fire he introduced himself and informed me his father used the M1917 in China when a member of the Nationalist army. I thought that would be a test of memory for the son to remember what his father used and I wondered how he recognized the rifles with changed configurations. He explained it had nothing to do with memory, he pointed to his father that was standing behind the line, he said his father pointed the old rifles out to him. I offered to allow him to shoot any and all of the rifles I had me. When his father escaped China, Taiwan was called Formosa.

F. Guffey