The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 23, 2011, 04:56 AM   #51
graniteob

Here in California they outlawed using rimfires on pigs. Here is neat gun that would fill the bill. Light with a long enough barrel to get good velocity. http://www.crickett.com/crickett_hunterpistol.php
Old March 23, 2011, 01:16 PM   #52
FTG-05

Quote:
Pigs often travel in groups. Shoot one and suddenly there's pigs running everywhere.
Correct, and at that point, I probably won't care since I have one already down (hopefully).

This is due to the local environment on the Black Warrior WMA and the fact that there's only two real directions: up or down. I'm sure if I get a hog, it will all be "up" when I'm dragging one out of the woods.

BTW: I had a dream about this last night, it's pretty funny considering this thread and your posts in it - and I usually don't remember my dreams past the time I wake up.

I was in the woods and came up on a big old boar hog. I shot him and he took off - directly for me! I don't recall what I did with the rifle (nor what type it was) but when he went right by me, I jumped on him and stabbed him with my ESEE-4 knife! DRT!

When I woke up, I said to myself - "yea, like that will ever happen!"
Old March 23, 2011, 01:48 PM   #53
Rifleman1776

Despite experiences and references so far posted, I would never use a .22 rimmy for feral hogs under any circumstances. Not all hunters can place their shots perfectly and I doubt many of the hogs pose waiting for a hunter to take perfect aim.
Most here decry a .22 for a personal defense gun but some here will use it on a 300 lb wild hog. Doesn't make sense to me.
I'll use a deer caliber rifle for hogs when I get the chance to hunt them.
Old March 23, 2011, 03:10 PM   #54
markj

Quote:
Most here decry a .22 for a personal defense gun but some here will use it on a 300 lb wild hog.
I keep a 22 in the truck, tractor, combine I respect the round and know full well its abilities. It will kill, is it my first choice? No but if ti was all I had, I would use it.

A stalk on a hog is just that, hog dont know you are there, then you place the shot perfectly and dead hog to eat. Same as a arrow on a deer, moose, bear etc.

A Minister from Salvation Army was stationed in Alaska, he told me of a hunt the Inuit indians took him on, a bear hunt, they used a 22 rifle and got the bear. He had 8mm film and such. Was in the early 60s.
Old March 23, 2011, 03:40 PM   #55
Doodlebugger45

Well, if that's all they allow, then that's what you use. You just have to be very patient and wait for the perfect close shot to come about.

Actually, I like the idea of the Crickett. I didn't know they offered them in adult sizes and in .22 WMRF caliber until just now. I'm thinking that they can be pretty accurate out to 40 yards with a scope on it. And they are very lightweight and don't cost much either. No need for a fast follow up shot. You either drill it in the ear or you don't. If you do, then it's dead. If you don't then it's long gone. I think the danger thing is overrated. The ones I've seen are quick to run away if you miss the first shot.
Old March 23, 2011, 04:15 PM   #56
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I didn't know they offered them in adult sizes and in .22 WMRF caliber until just now. I'm thinking that they can be pretty accurate out to 40 yards with a scope on it. And they are very lightweight and don't cost much either. No need for a fast follow up shot.
The Cricketts are chambered in .22 WMR. The .22 WRF is an older, shorter cartridge, typically only seen in Winchester pump rifles.

I'm sure they would be plenty accurate beyond 40 yards. When doing accuracy testing, I shoot my 882SS at 100 yards (even before I scoped it). ...And I take it on every prarie dog shoot (150-300 yards). Just because it's a rimfire, doesn't mean it has to be a 50 yard rifle.

The centerfires do most of the heavy lifting for sod poodles; but the .22 WMR holds its own, and adds a little more fun.
Old March 23, 2011, 04:15 PM   #57
aarondhgraham

My Pop is one of those guys,,,

You know the ones who say,,,

"Why hell boy, you don't need one of them big rifles,,,
You can kill anything you can eat with a good .22 rifle.
"

And he did too,,,
During the depression he hunted,,,
And killed deer with a .22 single-shot using shorts.

But he was stalking and hiding waiting for that perfect opportunity for the behind the ear shot.

I did tease him a bit last December,,,
I called to announce a visit to him and he said,,,
Bring your big rifle 'cause there's a dog I need to kill.

And there was a big mongrel dog roaming his property,,,
I dropped it with a H&R Handi-Rifle in .357 Magnum.

We found what we think were two bullet wounds in him,,,
Dad had taken a couple of shots at it with his .22,,,
But his 79 year old eyes aren't so great now,,,
That perfect behind the ear shot is gone.

I left him a 12 gauge shotgun.

The moral of this story is,,,
If you can still make that behind the ear shot,,,
You are probably okay hunting monster pigs with a .22 Mag.

Personally I want something with a bit more whang!

Monster pigs are why God made 45-70 rifles.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 23, 2011, 09:40 PM   #58
Keg

A 30-06 will certainly work for hogs, but it's not much more useful than a .22 WRM in a "fast and furious" situation (if any) and it's totally useless during squirrel season, at least on an AL WMA..................
FTG-05.........Thats about a silly statement..........except about the squirrel..........
I have a Remington 742 Carbine..30-06..With 180 grain bullets it is devastating..........Say you come up on a large group of pigs.......Yes you can shoot and kill the first one..with a well placed shot......If you kill another..you are just lucky.......The 30-06 will be layin em down.........
Old March 24, 2011, 12:26 AM   #59
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have a Remington 742 Carbine..30-06..With 180 grain bullets it is devastating..........Say you come up on a large group of pigs.......Yes you can shoot and kill the first one..with a well placed shot......If you kill another..you are just lucky.......The 30-06 will be layin em down.........
Yea... except that it is illegal when he wants to hunt.

Read the thread!
Old March 24, 2011, 01:06 AM   #60
Lawyer Daggit

I have shot many feral pigs here with a Winchester 9422- not my favourite as it is a bit light but it is a target of opportunity on any farm here. I put the little slug in right behind the ear.

I would NOT try this with my 9417 though. The HMR does not penetrate well enough.

I also aim for smaller pigs- large pigs are a bit iffy for this round. But any swine you can stop breeding is worth taking out.
Old March 24, 2011, 01:49 AM   #61
Keg

Quote:
Yea... except that it is illegal when he wants to hunt.

Read the thread!

Franken Mouser........I understand that he wants a 22 mag......
I replied to this one statement he made........U need to go back and read..........

Last edited by Keg; March 24, 2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old March 24, 2011, 02:04 AM   #62
Keg

I checked one AL WMA and said could use shotgun with shot smaller than #2 or rimfire no larger than 22 mag.......

Last edited by Keg; March 24, 2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old March 24, 2011, 02:06 AM   #63
M.O.A.

nope he can do that ethere

i say he call and ask the dnr in his state if thats the real way it goes
Old March 24, 2011, 02:26 AM   #64
Keg

Well...sounds like 22 mag is the way to go.....I would want an auto then......
Old March 24, 2011, 03:55 AM   #65
natman

Quote:
BTW: I had a dream about this last night, it's pretty funny considering this thread and your posts in it - and I usually don't remember my dreams past the time I wake up.

I was in the woods and came up on a big old boar hog. I shot him and he took off - directly for me! I don't recall what I did with the rifle (nor what type it was) but when he went right by me, I jumped on him and stabbed him with my ESEE-4 knife! DRT!

When I woke up, I said to myself - "yea, like that will ever happen!"
The knife part is a dream. I once shot a pig and had a huge sow appear out of the tall grass and run right at me. I don't know if she was charging or just happened to run in my direction, but I didn't wait to divine her intentions. Shooting her in the ear wasn't an option, but a 308 in the chest sorted things out nicely.
Old March 25, 2011, 05:37 PM   #66
TX Hunter

I killed a Hog one night while Coon hunting at about 6 feet with a .22 Magnum Ruger Single Six.
It was so fast, I was walking through the brush and walked right up on a Big Black Sow Hog.
I drew and fired quickly, and the hog dropped in her tracks.
She made some very good pan sausage.
Old March 28, 2011, 12:53 PM   #67
FTG-05

Quote:
A 30-06 will certainly work for hogs, but it's not much more useful than a .22 WRM in a "fast and furious" situation (if any) and it's totally useless during squirrel season, at least on an AL WMA..................
FTG-05.........Thats about a silly statement..........except about the squirrel..........
It's not silly, it's entirely true. You have a semi-auto, I don't. My 30-06 is a sporterized Springfield M1906A2, heavy, long, no iron sights, I'd have to buy another scope for it. For quick follow-up shots with pigs scattering everywhere "fast and furious" - in typical AL WMA areas - a 30-06 is virtually worthless.

Actually, it's worse than worthless; for my application, it's irrelevant.
Old March 28, 2011, 05:17 PM   #68
Keg

U made the irellevant statement first..... Oh boy......???? More silly nonesense.....

Just try your luck with a 22 mag.......Good Luck.......

I knocked down 3 the other mornin...2 running......

Last edited by Keg; March 28, 2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old March 28, 2011, 06:39 PM   #69
phil mcwilliam

If I was limited to a .22 Magnum for hunting hogs, I would want a semi-auto. Remingtons 597 semi auto is available in .22 magnum with an 8 shot magazine, for under $300. I'd also buy a few extra magazines when purchasing the rifle.
Old March 28, 2011, 07:18 PM   #70
Keg

True Phil.........
Old March 29, 2011, 02:20 PM   #71
FTG-05

Quote:
If I was limited to a .22 Magnum for hunting hogs, I would want a semi-auto. Remingtons 597 semi auto is available in .22 magnum with an 8 shot magazine, for under $300. I'd also buy a few extra magazines when purchasing the rifle.
Excellent, now we're back on track!

I'm going to check out that 597 model, sounds exactly what I need.

Thanks!