The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 13, 2017, 01:27 PM   #51
FITASC

Quote:
Sabots are intended for rifled bores, not smoothbores
Think he got that previously:

Quote:
with a 24" rifled slug barrel with rifle sights.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 13, 2017, 01:40 PM   #52
MarkCO

Probably, but I figured it could not hurt.
Old January 13, 2017, 09:30 PM   #53
Targa

Classic Firearms has a Rossi 12gauge for $170.
Old January 14, 2017, 06:56 PM   #54
TB9

Running's had the Maverick 88 for $184 last month . just sayin
Old January 14, 2017, 07:47 PM   #55
FITASC

What is "Running's"? maybe post a link?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 15, 2017, 08:52 AM   #56
TB9

Hi , Running's is like a Walmart of home and farm supply, hardware mostly on the east coast U.S. sorry I'm not very good at posting link's or pic's or much I'm kinda a rock and a sharp stick guy when it comes to computers
Old January 21, 2017, 01:31 AM   #57
TruthTellers

People are going to think I was dropped on my head, but I think the Mossberg HS12 is great for both roles.

Yeah, it's not exactly built for hunting, but the granfather of this is the Mossberg Maverick Hunter. That model lacks the picatinny rails and a rear sight, but has longer barrels.

Anyway, because the rails are on the HS12, you can put a scope on this easy or a reflex sight which could also be great for home D. What makes this a nifty shotgun is the pic rail under the bottom barrel which you could mount a bipod with for hunting, take off after your hunt, and replace with a light for HD.

If you don't want to bother with a scope, the mount has a groove milled in that acts as a fixed rear sight, so shooting slugs with it should prove better than with a bead sight.

I also like the safety that acts as a barrel selector too. With that, I could have birdshot in one tube and a slug in the other, so I'm always ready for whatever game shows up. Same goes for defense at home; buck in one tube for a "close encounter of the -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- kind" or a segmented slug for a more accurate distance shot.

The only things I don't like about this shotgun is for hunting, it's not parkerized, so keep it dry and there's this lame safety that keeps the trigger from being pulled if the gun is pointed down at something around a 30 degree angle.

You can work around the trigger safety tho, but I won't be mentioning how here.

It's not cheap though, cost is gonna run you at least $450.
Old January 30, 2017, 11:51 PM   #58
makarov

I'd look for used 870 Wingmasters. Nicer blued finish. Get a short barrel for it for home defense if wanted. No pistol grip or anything. Nice wood stock. Put an extended mag tube on it if you want, though I don't have one on mine.
Old January 31, 2017, 07:38 AM   #59
FITASC

Quote:
It's not cheap though, cost is gonna run you at least $450.
You don't price good O/Us do you?
For that cheap price, I would have a concern about barrel regulation. It would need some serious sighting work for me to be comfortable using that in a HD role.
Old February 1, 2017, 12:55 AM   #60
TruthTellers

Quote:
For that cheap price, I would have a concern about barrel regulation. It would need some serious sighting work for me to be comfortable using that in a HD role.
IN comparison to other shotguns that aren't doubles, it's a high price. Compared to other doubles, it's cheap as the Sun's heat.

If you're in a home defense role, you're going to be using this within 10-15 yards and at that distance regulation is the least of your worries.

Hunting it could be, but if you're using a slug, I'd sight it in using one barrel only, like a single shot shotgun, and figure out where the POI is in relation to the POA.
Old February 1, 2017, 03:11 PM   #61
osbornk

Quote:
Running's had the Maverick 88 for $184 last month . just sayin
They run $188 at Walmarts around here all the all the time.
Old February 1, 2017, 04:14 PM   #62
FITASC

Quote:
IN comparison to other shotguns that aren't doubles, it's a high price. Compared to other doubles, it's cheap as the Sun's heat.
Looking at the prices of some pumps and semis, it's still cheap. I have two Beretta gas guns - one target, one field, both north of $1400 each. While reliability is a major concern with both, neither is one I'm betting my life on. I guess I just don't get why folks are so concerned with getting the cheapest thing out there when its primary use is keeping you alive......
Old February 2, 2017, 08:43 PM   #63
TB9

I own 3 12ga. shotguns 1 Remington 1 Mossberg and the maverick 88 the first two are proven to me to be absolutely reliable . that's why I purchased the 3rd .