The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2020, 09:01 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Disposing of live primers

I have some primers that were smashed in the priming process on my Dillon 550b (everybody that has a 550b knows about the primer feed issues it has).
These primers cannot be used but are still live.

Anybody have a suggestion how to dispose of them.
Old March 11, 2020, 09:03 PM   #2
big al hunter

I believe it was my Speer manual that said to soak them in motor oil to kill them.

Edited due to autocorrect...

Last edited by big al hunter; March 12, 2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old March 11, 2020, 09:17 PM   #3
Old_School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Thunder View Post
I have some primers that were smashed in the priming process on my Dillon 550b (everybody that has a 550b knows about the primer feed issues it has).

These primers cannot be used but are still live.

Anybody have a suggestion how to dispose of them.
What primer feed issues? My 550 feeds them fine.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Old March 12, 2020, 07:12 AM   #4
kilotanker22

when I have live primers that I am gonna throw away, I normally just toss them into my burn barrel when I burn my paper trash. Probably not the safest way, but it works. Be aware doing it this way does set them off so I wouldn't watch the flames with out eye protection.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 12, 2020, 11:14 AM   #5
brasscollector

Quote:
soak them in motor oil to kill them
Pretty sure this has been covered here and debunked.
Old March 12, 2020, 12:30 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...Probably not the safest way..." Burning 'em won't cause any issues except a really big stupid grin. There is not containment for any kind of velocity to build. Isn't likely the primer cup would be blown into wee bits either for the same reason.
Just pitching 'em is an option. A lot depends on what your local municipality does with its garbage. If it gets burned, nobody will know there was a primer any more than if it gets buried or dumped in the ocean. A primer is just as likely to go bang if it gets squished by a bulldozer. Primers being percussive things.
"...been covered here and..." Argued about at length you mean. snicker. It's more about oil, of any kind, not being reliable.
Old March 12, 2020, 12:44 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

The only legal means that I am aware of is a controlled burn (same thing for waste powder).
If you burn them, be careful and use containment. The anvil and cup can potentially, and usually do, become projectiles.

My personal method?
Garbage can - usually inside of a bottle of whatever waste liquid got thrown away that week. (Water, shampoo, ketchup, whatever...)
The way that waste is processed in my area means that no person faces potential injury from a primer detonation (even if not in a bottle), and the cell in which my household trash is dumped is supposedly rated for full containment of hazardous materials. So, I'm not worried about it.
My choice is not entirely legal. But live primer disposal is not exactly a frequent problem.
I weigh the factors and opt for the garbage can.
Old March 12, 2020, 01:03 PM   #8
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
The only legal means that I am aware of is a controlled burn (same thing for waste powder).
If you burn them, be careful and use containment. The anvil and cup can potentially, and usually do, become projectiles.

My personal method?
Garbage can - usually inside of a bottle of whatever waste liquid got thrown away that week. (Water, shampoo, ketchup, whatever...)
The way that waste is processed in my area means that no person faces potential injury from a primer detonation (even if not in a bottle), and the cell in which my household trash is dumped is supposedly rated for full containment of hazardous materials. So, I'm not worried about it.
My choice is not entirely legal. But live primer disposal is not exactly a frequent problem.
I weigh the factors and opt for the garbage can.
For Powder I just spread it on my lawn. I mean its not really gonna hurt anything and it makes an okay fertilizer.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 12, 2020, 02:52 PM   #9
Pahoo

oil wil kill them

Quote:
I believe it was my Speer manual that said to soak them in motor oil to kill them
Have not read that but have I feel that just about any oil, will kill them. Just depends on how much time, you give the process. Mineral spirits will also kill them…..

I have a rather good supply of rancid olive oil and just soak them for a day or two. I've tested them and oil will kill them. I do confirm that they are dead but don't ask me how. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old March 12, 2020, 03:07 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
For Powder I just spread it on my lawn. I mean its not really gonna hurt anything and it makes an okay fertilizer.
Toluene (in its various forms) and some of the other minor chemicals in smokeless powder are toxic to aquatic species.
Depending upon where a person dumps the powder, it could hurt something.

I avoid the "could" or "might" ... and just burn it.
I stand before you, with arms open. Let he who is not a pyromaniac throw the first stone.
Old March 12, 2020, 03:58 PM   #11
Jim Watson

How many? The odd crushed primer just goes in the trash. I haven't heard of a garbage volcano at the landfill yet.
Old March 12, 2020, 04:52 PM   #12
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Toluene (in its various forms) and some of the other minor chemicals in smokeless powder are toxic to aquatic species.
Depending upon where a person dumps the powder, it could hurt something.

I avoid the "could" or "might" ... and just burn it.
I stand before you, with arms open. Let he who is not a pyromaniac throw the first stone.
I have burned it on occasion. Usually I don't have powder go bad. I shoot it up before it gets bad.
– St. Augustine
Old March 12, 2020, 05:11 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have burned it on occasion. Usually I don't have powder go bad. I shoot it up before it gets bad.
I've been gifted a decent amount of open powder and unknown-history handloads, and run experiments on water intrusion. As such, I've collected a substantial amount of waste powder over the last 20 years.
Just last year, I burned more than seven pounds over a couple camping trips. There's about a pound and a half that has been pulled down since then.

I did also get hit by the Accurate 4350 recall, with two 1-lb canisters showing degradation. Three pounds of that need to be burned, now.
(But I shot what was already loaded.)
Old March 12, 2020, 05:13 PM   #14
Kevin Rohrer

My trash goes in the trash can.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old March 12, 2020, 08:10 PM   #15
RC20

Quote:
You have just created a grenade. Primers are explosives . Trays the come in are intended to but do not always stop a sequential/ripple series.
Old March 12, 2020, 09:11 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Shampoo grenade!
Old March 12, 2020, 09:19 PM   #17
Carriertxv

Just how many are you talking about? Ball peen hammer has always worked fine for me.
Old March 12, 2020, 09:46 PM   #18
RC20

I have popped them off (face shield, ear protein, heavy gloves) and fired them off if in a case (powder and bullets gone or course).

No real solutions, maybe acid to dissolve the compound but has to get through the (seal?) that protects it.
Old March 13, 2020, 10:08 AM   #19
oley55

Quote:
Just how many are you talking about? Ball peen hammer has always worked fine for me.
This ^^^^^, and I used the same method when experimenting with various soaking methods. Just plain amazing how durable those little beggars are....
Old March 13, 2020, 01:06 PM   #20
Pahoo

Cover before hammering !!!

Quote:
I have popped them off (face shield, ear protein, heavy gloves) and fired them off if in a case (powder and bullets gone or course).
Yeh, I purposely omitted this, from my earlier reply do to safety concerns. I do this test to confirm that my soaking has had the expected results. ….

I would also add that I cover the cap with a piece of towel, in order to catch any primer pieces.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 13, 2020, 01:56 PM   #21
rclark

In the trash they go. Hardly remember the last time I had to trash one. No biggie.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 13, 2020, 10:27 PM   #22
jag2

I talked to the range master where I shoot, he said just throw them in the bucket. Made sure he knew what I was doing, I guess the recycler doesn’t care.
Old March 15, 2020, 11:21 AM   #23
Unclenick
Staff

One difference between these crushed primers and intact and uncorrupted primers is the pellet and any sealant are all likely cracked. So where a new, intact primer can be extraordinarily resistant to solvents and oils neutralizing them, I'm not so sure that would prove to be true of a mangled one. I would call the primer maker and ask them rather than rely on second-hand information from companies that don't make them.

I assume the live ammo disposal containers at any range will be removed for proper disposal, which will probably be an incinerator. Our local fire department will dispose of ol ammunition, and I presume it gets sent out for the appropriate treatment.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 15, 2020, 01:59 PM   #24
wizrd

Huh! Probably 100 k rounds + thru my RL550B - never had a crushed primer. Just saying.
Old March 15, 2020, 06:42 PM   #25
oley55

I've crushed a few in my RL450 by misidentifying a large primer tube for the small primer tube. When they get dispensed out the bottom anything can happen. Yea, I know, dumb, but I have those aluminum tubes color coded now.

On the other hand a primer can get fairly mangled if a crimped pocket slips through unprocessed.