The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 11, 2020, 02:25 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Should I, shouldn’t I? Another EDC question.

As some already know I have a k-frame sized Astra .38 snub (6 shot).

I carry it “appendix” IWB. This is comfortable for me.

There is another revolver that has come up for sale. A S&W model “19-P”

It would cost quite a bit to upgrade: the revolver is twice the cost of mine and I’d have to replace my smartcarry holster which also would mean high shipping costs and then import duty. So all in all, I’d say it would cost me €360 on top of the sale of my snub.

It looks like a 4” barrel but may be 3”.

Worth exploring?

If so, what should I be aware of for this model?
Link to the ad

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; March 11, 2020 at 02:56 AM.
Old March 11, 2020, 03:38 AM   #2
Hal

Explore - yes - buy - maybe.

I'd do the deal in a heartbeat - since the M19 is my favorite.
If I ever had to pare down what I own - the M19 I have would be the last to go.

Be aware though - as a K frame magnum - they do have some things you need to be concerned about.

A steady diet of magnum loads can lead to issues.
Firing light 125 grain and under - bullets can lead to cracking of the forcing cone.

If you can give it a 100% checking over & possibly have a gun smith take a look at it - and give it his OK - then jump on it with both feet.

Once you try that wonderful S&W M19 trigger, you may wish to rid yourself of any other D/A you own.
Old March 11, 2020, 05:22 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Once you try that wonderful S&W M19 trigger, you may wish to rid yourself of any other D/A you own.
What? And ditch my Redhawk too? That would be a surprise!

Although I would fit it easier to imagine going wheel gun only then no wheel gun at all.

Quote:
A steady diet of magnum loads can lead to issues.
Firing light 125 grain and under - bullets can lead to cracking of the forcing cone.
I've heard about this. Looking at online pictures, it seems likely I can spot a crack.

Typically, over here, such guns are bought for SD and sit in a cupboard/safe/drawer so heavy use is probably unlikely, especially as .357Mag is stEEEEEp! Still, I won't make that assumption, and I would be shooting it quite a bit more, so if it has cracked already, it may happen to me: not my ideal.

Alternatives were a 7-shot .357 Taurus and a Colt Detective Special in .38.

7-shot is probably too wide for Appendix carry (and it's a Taurus: I can't afford to have problems even if some are fine) and the Colt is 5-shot to my current 6.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; March 11, 2020 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Endless stream of typos
Old March 11, 2020, 07:18 AM   #4
Hal

Quote:
What? And ditch my Redhawk too? That would be a surprise!
The alternative would be to just shoot the Redhawk S/A.
Old March 11, 2020, 09:30 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Interesting gun. The 19P is an export model not often seen in the US, our Model 19s have adjustable sights. If we want a fixed sight .357, we buy a Model 13 which does not have the ejector rod shroud. Trivia: The "P" stands for Peru but more of the type went to Europe than South America.

That is a 4" barrel and I think a square butt; it will not be as concealable as your Astra. There are people here buying police trade in revolvers and paying gunsmiths to shorten the barrels to 3" and round the butts.

The cracked 19 may be over emphasized. You will have a hard time wearing one out with Specials. The original concept was 25% Magnums 75% Specials.
Old March 11, 2020, 10:48 AM   #6
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post

Alternatives were a 7-shot .357 Taurus and a Colt Detective Special in .38.

7-shot is probably too wide for Appendix carry (and it's a Taurus: I can't afford to have problems even if some are fine) and the Colt is 5-shot to my current 6.
As far as I know, the Colt Detective Specials were all 6-shot guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Detective_Special
Old March 11, 2020, 10:48 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
The alternative would be to just shoot the Redhawk S/A.
I would need to move to a diet of cardboard and sand to comfortably carry that appendix IWB...
Old March 11, 2020, 10:51 AM   #8
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
As far as I know, the Colt Detective Specials were all 6-shot guns.
Revisited the ad, and you're absolutely correct.

Still, I question the value of going for a 6-shot .38Spl snub when I already have a 6-shot .38Spl snub!
Old March 11, 2020, 10:53 AM   #9
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Interesting gun. The 19P is an export model not often seen in the US, our Model 19s have adjustable sights. If we want a fixed sight .357, we buy a Model 13 which does not have the ejector rod shroud. Trivia: The "P" stands for Peru but more of the type went to Europe than South America.

That is a 4" barrel and I think a square butt; it will not be as concealable as your Astra. There are people here buying police trade in revolvers and paying gunsmiths to shorten the barrels to 3" and round the butts.

The cracked 19 may be over emphasized. You will have a hard time wearing one out with Specials. The original concept was 25% Magnums 75% Specials.
Thanks for the insight.

With a .357, I could countenance selling my 9mm one day and keeping that. The local laws changed and they've made it harder to own semis...
Old March 11, 2020, 11:00 AM   #10
Pond, James Pond

What is genuine the score with the Taurus 627?
Old March 11, 2020, 11:02 AM   #11
Pond, James Pond

For those who are curious...

Here's a glance at the revolver market in Estonia!!

Including the Colt.
Old March 11, 2020, 11:38 AM   #12
FM12

M19, DEt Spcl finest guns made from blued steel, period. ive owned, carried, shot and loved both.
Old March 11, 2020, 01:09 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

That's a 4". Had one I never could get to fit my hand right. Remember that factory triggers do not count. Doing the trigger job on a Smith requires one special tool(rebound spring housing tool. Brownell's sells 'em for $20US. https://www.brownells.com/helpcenter....htm?id=37#bew) that may or may not be available at the top of the Baltic stack. Easy enough to make one on a lathe if you have that or know somebody. It's just a 3/16" diameter rod with a bend in it and a slot on the end.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...526%2520Wesson
360 Euros is $406.02US.
Firing light 125 grain and under bullets has nothing to do with 19's breaking. A steady diet of hot .357 loads might.
"...the score with the Taurus..." Their customer service isn't good. They make Smith clones just like Astra did.
Old March 11, 2020, 03:17 PM   #14
Pond, James Pond

Just seen a S&W Model 60, 3” .357.

The right size, decent gun.

Downsides are 5 shot and a staggering €825.
Nope. Not selling any kidneys today...
Old March 11, 2020, 03:19 PM   #15
Pond, James Pond

My dream find would be an affordable 3” GP100: .44spl or .357Mag.

A man can dream...
Old March 11, 2020, 10:08 PM   #16
Carmady

Quote:
Doing the trigger job on a Smith requires one special tool(rebound spring housing tool. Brownell's sells 'em for $20US.
That can be done with a Bic pen and a straight slot screwdriver.
Old March 12, 2020, 06:51 AM   #17
Hal

Quote:
Just seen a S&W Model 60, 3” .357.

The right size, decent gun.
Just as a point of reference & you may already know - the M60 is a J frame & the M19 is a K frame.
J is the smaller more compact frame.
K is the medium frame.

I find the J frame very difficult to use effectively. I have to shift my gip mid trigger squeeze to fire one in D/A. That makes for some really poor shooting.
Old March 12, 2020, 07:14 AM   #18
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Just as a point of reference & you may already know - the M60 is a J frame & the M19 is a K frame.
J is the smaller more compact frame.
K is the medium frame.
I have adjusted my assessment! Thanks!

Clearly not the one for me...
Old March 12, 2020, 11:40 AM   #19
lee n. field

--never mind---
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 12, 2020, 12:30 PM   #20
gwpercle

There is something to be said for an inexpensive EDC piece .
My daughter had to defend herself against an armed robber , the police took her 44 special S&W revolver as evidence in the case . The case dragged on for years and after all the appeals were exhausted when she tried to get her legally owned , legally carried and legally used S&W revolver back ....they couldn't "find" it ... just got "lost" ..sorry about that .
Don't carry or use a gun you are not willing to " get lost" ... it happens.
Everyone says ...that can't happen but it did and you know what happens when you hire a lawyer and sue a city...you pay a lot of legal bills you cant afford and still don't get your S&W revolver back .

My advice ... Keep the Astra.

Gary
Old March 16, 2020, 04:19 PM   #21
Grizzly2

It appears the 19P is not the same as our model 19 with adjustable sights. The 19P seems to be more like our model 13 with fixed sights according to the add you supplied. One of the things i appreciated about my 19 were those adj sights when switching from magnums to 38's and many different loads. The fixed sight models force you to have to adjust your hold. It all depends on what you really want.
Old March 17, 2020, 05:15 AM   #22
Brian Williams

I would gladly pay 350 euro for that 19P