The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 7, 2020, 01:40 PM   #1
Brownstone322

When/If Will Colt Return to the AR Market?

Does anyone have an informed opinion as to when or if Colt will return to the commercial AR-15 market?

I have some thoughts of my own, but I wanna see what others may think. I'm looking for market analyses, not whether you do or don't like Colt rifles personally.

Thanks.
Old March 7, 2020, 01:56 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

I'm thinking them dropping the AR was more of a politically correct thing than market based. Too much bad publicity with the assorted nut cases using an AR for their crimes. With the stupid people trying to blame Colt for the actions of the insane/criminals.
I think Colt's MBA's are trying to distance the company from that and they won't make AR's until the furor goes away. If it ever does.
Old March 7, 2020, 10:21 PM   #3
raimius

The AR market is flooded with relatively cheap ARs, and the mid/high end market was outpacing Colt. Until they feel they can compete, I doubt they'll re-enter.
Old March 7, 2020, 11:31 PM   #4
riffraff

I'm kinda surprised they left $$ on the table, although over the years I bet they shrunk their margins to compete, to me (and maybe I'm just wrong) it seems like the civilian market is a huge market that most similar companies probably need to exist.. ie would Stag, Sig, others who market to governments and civilians look anything like they do today if their civilian business got cut away?

How many manufacturers actually choose not to somehow market their designs (in semi auto form of course) to civilians?

It was very odd anyway - likely will change if shareholders see dipping profits as a result.
Old March 23, 2020, 09:08 AM   #5
kozak6

This says their contract is estimated to be completed by Sept 2024:

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Con...ticle/1966024/

That's a few years out. Tacking on a little padding bumps us to 2025.

So, hopefully early to mid 2025.

Seems like an awfully long time to be completely absent from the AR15 market, though. I'm a little surprised that there isn't a single licensed/outsourced Colt AR15 of any flavor.
Old March 24, 2020, 01:22 AM   #6
Scorch

Not like Colt was a dominant player anyway. The days of AR=Colt are long gone, Colt has tried to maintain prices above other comparably equipped ARs in the market simply by reputation and history and it hasn't been working very well. With the recent anti-AR craze, it was probably a political move as much as anything else.
Old March 24, 2020, 04:54 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Colt's are typically more expensive than their counterparts. They couldn't compete so withdrew. It was economic more so that PC gone amok in my opinion.

I also believe that at some point they will re-enter the market on ARs. Not sure when, but I could see some limited runs and a reintroduction.

Look at what they did with the Cobra, King and Python. Despite the comparisons of the new guns verse old guns, (the new guns are excellent firearms by the way) sales did pretty well for Colt.

I expect them to roll out an 'Conda at some point. Maybe after that, we'll see an AR or two.
Old March 26, 2020, 11:22 AM   #8
Ben Dover

I wouldn't be surprised if after the election, Colt, (or another maker) offers a full line of AR type rifles for the hunting/general purpose market. I.E. 3 or 4 receiver sizes, and calibres from .223, through .30-06 and .270, probably even including the big magnums.

I'll betcha that hordes of young shooters, new to the sport, with more money than good sense, would, would love to have an "AR" .375Ruger, or even .338 LaPua.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old April 2, 2020, 05:50 PM   #9
Grey_Lion

It will probably be a matter of the Colt marketing dept overcoming the Colt legal team with a cost benefit analysis..... :-(
Old April 10, 2020, 09:46 PM   #10
veprdude

They brought the Python/Cobra series back from the dead. If they were smart they would re-release the SP1 as the retro rifle market is hot. But the bean counters that run Colt now are not the same ones that built your daddy's M16 or beloved 1911A1.

DPMS and Bushmaster dropped out of the AR market as well. I think they were owned by Freedom Group.
Old April 10, 2020, 10:07 PM   #11
2wheelwander

LGS told me he bought 1k AR's, most of them Colt, prior to the last election as he thought Hillary was going to win and expected to be able to unload them for a tidy profit. Three years later he just unloaded his last Colts. Said there just isn't any money in them.
Old April 11, 2020, 07:24 AM   #12
AirForceShooter

To me Colt is a dying company that's trading on it's past glories.

It's doomed

AFS
Old April 11, 2020, 09:44 AM   #13
2wheelwander

I'm not sure they are dying, buy doing the same thing Harley Davidson has been doing for years. Relying on their brand to sell a product that wouldn't bring premium pricing otherwise. I don't think Colt has slidden THAT far quite yet, but they need to wake up.