The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 5, 2019, 06:27 AM   #1
Doug Ridley

.22 calibers

Who carries a .22 besides me? I've switched to it because of my arthritic wrist.
Old December 5, 2019, 07:24 AM   #2
Dobe

They have their place, especially suppressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 5, 2019, 07:40 AM   #3
ammo.crafter

Have you tried a 22 mag?
Old December 5, 2019, 09:04 AM   #4
jar

At times I will carry a 22 but more often it will be a 25 or 32.

I know that most folk think that anything under 9mm Luger is stupid but then I remember that the 1967 Gun Control Act did not ban small handguns in 22, 25 and 32 because they were unreliable and ineffective but because they were small, easy to conceal and very effective.

The gun that will almost always be available for me is my FN 1906 Vest Pocket in 6.35 (25acp). It's easy to point shoot from close to my body, tiny, safe enough that I'm comfortable carrying it even without a holster and utterly reliable.

In weelies my H&R 32S&W long is another likely choice.

Old December 5, 2019, 09:47 AM   #5
darkgael

Virtually every time I go for a walk in the woods, I have a S&W 317 Airlite in my pocket, the snubbie version.
Recently, I have added to that, having acquired a Keltec PMR-30. Light, trim, good trigger, accurate, powerful, 30 rounds......a happy choice.
Another gun that I like is a tiny “baby Bulldog”, not a .22 though...32 Colt and BP.

Last edited by darkgael; December 7, 2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old December 5, 2019, 10:21 AM   #6
aarondhgraham

I know two ladies who Carry Bersa Thunder 22 pistols,,,

I know two ladies who Carry Bersa Thunder 22 pistols,,,
And I'm afraid it's somewhat my fault.

I gifted their pistols to them.

I work with young college kids,,,
I have taken many of them to the range,,,
And gotten them started in learning to shoot handguns.

Mostly it's one, two, and maybe a third trip,,,
But on occasion I introduce shooting to some who continue.

These two ladies had been shooting with me many times,,,
The main pistols I have them shoot are my Bersa T-22 and T-380.

I have always stressed that practice is essential in learning to shoot well,,,
The problem is that most people can't afford to shoot often enough.

Our practice regimen always included shooting a lot of .22 ammo,,,
Then some with the identical pistol in .380 ACP to end the day.

As a graduation gift I purchased a Bersa T-22 for each of them,,,
With the promise from them that they would buy a T-380 as soon as feasible.

Both ladies stayed in the area for work and I see them quite often,,,
Neither of them have purchased the T-380 as yet,,,
Both carry the T-22 concealed.

I did get them used to the idea of premium ammo though,,,
Both ladies carry with 40 grain round nose Mini Mags.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old December 5, 2019, 10:40 AM   #7
Ben Dover

I lika da .22

It's a no maka so much noise, so's I can "hit" some gize and da hole dam town is a-no hear it.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old December 6, 2019, 01:05 AM   #8
TruthTellers

I'm fine with it as long as it's a revolver or a semi auto that has a DA pull or a SAO with an exposed hammer.

I would rather use a .32 for centerfire, but similarly low recoil.

I'm not a big .25 fan, I don't see what it does better than what .22 or .32 can do.
Old December 6, 2019, 02:21 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Isn't is amazing how many people will tell you about their semi autos when you ask a question in The Revolver Forum??

I don't carry a .22 because I am still physically capable of handling larger calibers which are (presumably) more likely to be effective. However, ANY gun when you need a gun is better than no gun.

Where the .25acp shines over the .22LR is feeding in semi autos. Not a concern for revolver users.

Where every centerfire has the advantage is ignition. Rimfire rounds are more prone to not firing then centerfire rounds. Even "quality" .22LR sometimes has a round that doesn't go off as planned. Various batches of budget stuff is notorious for that.

The reason is the way the cases are primed. A drop of the priming compound (as a liquid) is put in the case and then it is spun to distribute it inside the hollow case rim. Once in a while a spot gets "missed" and once in a while that missed spot is what is under your firing pin. Very often a .22LR that doesn't fire, will fire if replaced in the chamber so a different part of the rim is struck by the firing pin.

SO, as long as you are ok with that possibility, the .22 RF is ok for defense, and can be superior to a .25 or .32 with a FMJ bullet (or a JHP that doesn't open up), the lead bullet of the rimfire can be as or more effective, sometimes.

.22 Mag is a better choice, for a defensive round, but still has the possible issues of rimfire ignition.

A .22 you can handle is better than something else that you can't. ITs that simple.

better if you can handle something bigger, but life is what it is, and we live with what we can do. My mind still thinks I'm 25, but my eyes, and the rest of me constantly tell me I'm 40 some years past where my mind is still stuck.
Old December 6, 2019, 07:34 AM   #10
CDR_Glock

I have carried a North American Arms 22 WMR/Magnum as a backup in the summer and fall.

You get 12 inches of penetration from a 22 WMR/Magnum.

Obviously this is only good with point/instinctive shooting with an North American Arms 22 WMR/Magnum for about 10 yards, max, to the body or head At 7 yards, max.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old December 6, 2019, 04:40 PM   #11
Hanshi

I only have one .22 revolver, a 4" S&W M18. If I need concealed I carry a 7.65 mm PPK.
Old December 6, 2019, 05:42 PM   #12
JERRYS.

while the LCR rimfire doesn't have as good a trigger as their centerfire, it is better than other rimfires I've tried. 8 shots of .22lr Remington Vipers is nothing to laugh at.
Old December 6, 2019, 08:09 PM   #13
rep1954

351C has become my carry now since my 351PD went to my son. The VZ 320 grips bring your hold on the gun more inline with a proper pull on the trigger. Also smoothing the internals helps with feel of the action.

17E6B34E-C66F-427C-B382-54FA9F146976.jpeg
Old December 8, 2019, 05:28 AM   #14
tallball

"I would rather use a .32 for centerfire, but similarly low recoil."

Same. The 32 S&W long recoils about the same as a 22lr, but shoots a bullet about 1.5 times as wide and generally twice as heavy. It's not a popular caliber anymore, so used 32 revolvers tend to be inexpensive.

My wife has badly damaged wrists. 38's are painful for her, but she shoots 32's just fine.
Old December 9, 2019, 01:47 AM   #15
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallball View Post
"I would rather use a .32 for centerfire, but similarly low recoil."

Same. The 32 S&W long recoils about the same as a 22lr, but shoots a bullet about 1.5 times as wide and generally twice as heavy. It's not a popular caliber anymore, so used 32 revolvers tend to be inexpensive.
Uh, not really and it depends. If we're talking top break .32's and the H&R solid frame .32's, sure, those are cheap... but they aren't great and the sights, triggers, grip ergonomics are poor.

Used Charter .32's, if they're Stratford made ones, are $250 to $300 on Gunbroker. They are good guns, probably the best of all the .32's under $300, but not common.

The Colt Police Positives you can find on occasion for a decent price, but they have the typical super heavy DA triggers of the day and poor fixed sights.

S&W .32's are very old and often have long barrels and poor fixed sights.

Once we get into the .32 Mag, Ruger's and S&W's are either high in price or downright outrageous. Charter now makes two .32 mag revolvers, the 5 shot and the 7 shot Professional, and there's always those junk NEF .32 Mags that just won't go away.
Old December 10, 2019, 12:16 AM   #16
wmg1299

I carry a subcompact 9 mm most of the time, but will pocket carry a S&W 351C on occasion. I can appreciate its ability to be fired from inside a jacket pocket, the trigger is heavy enough that I don't worry about an accidental discharge, and like being able to hold 7 rounds of .22 mag. in such a small gun. The 351's also have better sights than most J Frames. I've started having to wear suits and overcoats more often for work, which makes my typical IWB carry of a semi-auto more difficult. I could easily see this gun (or a 351PD) becoming my EDC at some point in the future.
Old December 10, 2019, 07:47 PM   #17
rodfac

Since you did not mention self defense or concealed carry as potential uses, I assume you're carrying yours for plinking or small game hunting while woods and meadows hiking. In that usage, I carry one often, and find them a great deal of fun.

I own several: a S&W M18 (my current favorite), a Colt Diamondback 4", a Smith M41 auto with the once available "field barrel", a Ruger Single Six, a Colt Woodsman 4.5", a couple of Marvel & Ceiner .22 Lr uppers for my 1911's, a Sig .22 Lr upper unit for my Sig P226, and finally a Ruger Standard Model ll....yes I like them a lot.

While I have killed some squirrels with them, and a number of moles as well as one raccoon in our horse feed bin, I use them primarily for training and informal target shooting on our home range here on the farm. I especially like the fact that I don't have to police the brass...a constant chore when shooting my center-fires as I'm a long time reloader. With the .22's, I pack them along, use them to intimidate thistle tops and milk weed pods and occasionally train my pointer pup to the sound of a gun shot.

None are remotely suitable for defensive use, in case you're wondering...YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 12, 2019, 09:59 PM   #18
Boarhunter

I have a Smith 43c 8-shot snub revolver in my pocket always! And practice with it often. You are not alone, Doug.

BOARHUNTER
Old December 13, 2019, 12:05 AM   #19
kenny53

I carry a Ruger LCR 22 mag most everyday as a back up. But would not mind if that was all I had. If I had the LCR 22lr I would be ok, 8 rounds at arms length is just fine for social work.
Old December 21, 2019, 09:20 PM   #20
John22

I love my S&W 2214. It's my woods gun of choice unless I'm heading up into the mountains.
Old December 22, 2019, 06:05 AM   #21
Catman42

my wife has a ruger lcr 22 mag. that thing makes a lot of noise and has real punch. it is no toy. easy to shoot also.
Old December 22, 2019, 08:16 AM   #22
ms6852

Once in a while I carry NAA 22 magnum with the CV revision grips. Makes way more comfortable to control your shooting and more accurate. With your arthritis this could be beneficial for you, just my 2¢.http://www.revisioncv.com/catalog/4
Old December 22, 2019, 08:29 AM   #23
jar

I also carry my old H&R 923 every once in awhile. I guess its at least a half century now but still works as well as it did back when I thought it was really cool. I even still have the old ratty holster I found in a barn IIRC and it still looks like something you'd find in a barn.

It's one where you remove the cylinder to load or unload and holds nine rounds.

The rod doubles as an extractor shaft making it easy to get any stuck cartridges out.

The double action is really heavy but the single action crisp and light with almost no travel thanks to H&R's two step system where the trigger itself just cocks the hammer and the small secondary trigger releases the sear.

Old December 29, 2019, 10:31 AM   #24
rodfac

Jar, thanks for posting those pics....great old .22...and I especially liked the one of your ancient flap holster....I've made a few up over the years and may make another...yours gave me some new ideas! Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 29, 2019, 04:54 PM   #25
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
I also carry my old H&R 923 every once in awhile. I guess its at least a half century now but still works as well as it did back when I thought it was really cool. I even still have the old ratty holster I found in a barn IIRC and it still looks like something you'd find in a barn.

The rod doubles as an extractor shaft making it easy to get any stuck cartridges out.

The double action is really heavy but the single action crisp and light with almost no travel thanks to H&R's two step system where the trigger itself just cocks the hammer and the small secondary trigger releases the sear.

I've always liked these types of double action revolvers with the pull pin that I believe only H&R made. They were simpler (thus cheaper) to make, more durable, and would be good for home defense in the day and that's pretty much what their intended market was: low income people looking for a basic home defense gun that was small and could be hidden easier than a shotgun.

Had H&R made these in a .38 Special, they'd never have been able to make enough of them.