The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 26, 2020, 06:57 PM   #51
44caliberkid

I have two friends who know I like guns, one is a car mechanic and the other is a lawyer. When the chips are down and people need money, or need to pay an important bill to keep life going, the guns go first. A lot of people offer them guns as payment. They don't care what the real value of the piece is, just want their cash and call me.
Old March 26, 2020, 07:47 PM   #52
Drm50

I get a lot of guns off people I’m working for. Mostly used but nice run of the mill shotguns and rifles. Once in a while get WW2 bring homes. Last really good deal I got was a nice Luger for $100 off the bill. I saw it in attic when I had to move junk to put in attic vent fan.
Ask about it and took the deal.
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #53
tallball

In the late 1980's I bought a NiB Russian "commercial" Makarov in 380acp for $89. I still have it and it still shoots great. I don't recall it ever malfunctioning. That may have only been a modestly good deal back in those days, but it was a good long-term investment for all of the use I've gotten out of it.

More recently, maybe two years ago, a place on Gunbroker was selling Beretta Model 96's (40 caliber) that were probably LE trade-ins. That company would get a batch of something in stock and sell them off a couple per week, nicest ones first. Towards the end of the Beretta 96 run they had a "Frankenstein gun". It was a US DAO slide on a regular Italian frame. No one was very interested in bidding on it. I won it for a bid of around $150, I think it was $147. It shoots just as nicely as any of my other Berettas, and the finish on both parts is pretty good. It doesn't have a safety, but I don't like them anyway. It didn't look like either the slide or frame had been used much.

I've gotten some good deals on used handguns, but the Beretta was probably the best.
Old Today, 02:35 AM   #54
Classic12

I have three that come to my mind

1956 Sig P210-2 army, $ 520 in 1995 from a colleague retiring from the army as a quartermaster. He was going to hand it back to the arsenal (in Switzerland retiring soldiers have the option to keep their service weapon)

1952 FN GP 35, $ 360 in 2014, opening bid at an auction

1943 S&W Victory $ 120 in 2015, opening bid at an auction