The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 25, 2020, 12:45 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Help needed. Down to two. Buying tomorrow!

I need some objectivity done I’m hoping to import it from the brethren of TFL.

Either way, it’s always nice to know you’ll bring a new gun home but if it’s a close run thing, I sometimes become indecisive to an epic degree!

So I have a short list for my BP purchase.

Please tell me what you think for holding lovingly, plinking and hunting (latter unlikely for now but could be in the future) in that order of frequency and general ease of use/cleaning etc.

A Pedersoli 1859 Sharps Carbine .54, 1:48
All bits total at €1250
Cool. Beautiful. Easy to load. Paper or brass cartridges. But stock drops a fair bit so a proper check weld isn’t really an option.

A used Pedersoli Cook Bros Enfield .58 1:48 musket. Like a 2-band Enfield.
All bits total at €910
Beautiful but used. No preloading cartridges but the cheek weld is more natural.

I prefer the idea and looks/features of the Sharps but the shouldering was not as natural as the Cook which is also cheaper.

Any angles I should consider?
Your feelings on my enjoyable predicament?
Old March 25, 2020, 04:14 PM   #2
Hawg

You can make paper cartridges for the Cook. You can get brass cartridges for the Sharps at the cost of smaller powder charges or make paper cartridges. Cleanup is a lot more involved with the Sharps.
Old March 25, 2020, 04:28 PM   #3
105kw

Depending on what you hunt, either one will do.
I used a two band Enfield on deer in Georgia, and hunted with a .50-70 carbine Sharps in Washington.
I think I would take the Sharps, purely personal reasons.
Old March 25, 2020, 06:26 PM   #4
gwpercle

I would get the sharps and a lace on cheek pad.
Check out the ones at Buffalo Arms Shooting Supplies www.buffaloarms.com
Several styles to choose from ...problem solved... I can tell you want the Sharps...
So get it and a cool cheek pad and go shooting...Life's too short for indecision !
Gary
Old March 25, 2020, 07:29 PM   #5
Oliver Sudden

In this part of the world the Enfield could be used in our muzzleloader season as well as rifle season. The Sharps would only be allowed in rifle season since it’s a breech loader. For the lap time fondling the Sharps wins every time. Plinking with a Sharps is a delight and clean up isn’t all that hard. Mine was a 1859 rifle from Shiloh and was simple to clean.
Old March 25, 2020, 10:48 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
In this part of the world the Enfield could be used in our muzzleloader season as well as rifle season. The Sharps would only be allowed in rifle season since it’s a breech loader. For the lap time fondling the Sharps wins every time. Plinking with a Sharps is a delight and clean up isn’t all that hard.
Here in MS either one could be used but we have some wacky primitive weapons rules. Cleaning the Sharps isn't hard but it is more involved than the muzzle loader. You have to remove the breech block and the gas check plate. Fouling gets everywhere inside.
Old March 26, 2020, 06:57 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

Well, as most have guessed, I'm nost likely going with the more expensive Sharps, but its the one I'm drawn to having for a long time wanted a Pietta Smith's. I think the Pedersoli is probably better made.

All the ones I saw were beautiful. The Hawken was a joy to behold, but weight a metric tonnes, although for the 3 seconds I could hold it up to my eye, it lined up perfectly!

The Sharps also has a wealth of material online, with videos etc all the way to a re-printed original manual now published by Cornells.

The cost hurts but I think, even though I'd love the Cook, the Hawken, The Rolling Block etc, I'd still look wistfully at Sharps webpages...

Yet another expense is the comb riser that I'll probably order in the summer.

But I've not got it yet and there's still an hour before I'm scheduled to meet the seller so....

Hopefully this evening will see a further post from a giddy Pond, J.
Old March 26, 2020, 12:39 PM   #8
Pond, James Pond

I type this rather slowly. Not for tiredness. Not for despondency.

But for the fact I type one-handed as the other cradles a stunning Sharps Carbine.

Tonight the Carbine and I will frolic with decadent quantities of Ballistol, as I clean every nook and get to know the nature of the beauty, I mean, beast.

Thanks to those who took the time to give me their thoughts and advice.
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #9
Hawg

You're going to love it but I do recommend getting set up to cast your own bullets.