The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 24, 2020, 07:12 AM   #1
Hal

Time to sell? (the guns that is)

Serious question here...

I have some guns I just flat out don't shoot anymore - for any number of reasons.

Current conditions make for some real uncertain months ahead.
Most of our income is derived from single family rentals.
More and more it appears that - landlords will be the odd man out.
Rents look like they are going to be suspended - even if they aren't, evictions look for sure to be on hold for the duration.
Bottom line here is - -our bills don't get put on hold & without rents coming in, our reserves are going to get hit.

I've always pretty much figured the day would come when I'd be in this sort of position.
Now seems to be the perfect time to thin the safe.

Anyone else thinking along those lines?

(All except Cheapshooter that is - - he's probably going on a gun buying bender )
Old March 24, 2020, 07:54 AM   #2
TXAZ

For the same conditions: What would your neighbor do if they were in the same situation?
(Taking the emotion out). That’s probably a good barometer.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 24, 2020, 08:09 AM   #3
Hal

Quote:
For the same conditions: What would your neighbor do if they were in the same situation?
?Not sure I understand that.
I'd be happy to recover just what I paid - some 20 or so years ago.
Maybe a slight bit over that - -but - nowhere near gouging level.
Old March 24, 2020, 08:44 AM   #4
jmr40

If you've got "em and no longer use 'em now is a good time to get top dollar. I've got a couple of Glocks that I rarely use that would have been worth $350 on the used market a month ago. I figure I could get $500 today and have contemplated selling them.

Winston Churchill
Old March 24, 2020, 08:51 AM   #5
Skans

It is probably as good a time as any to sell guns, but if you are going to sell them, my only advice is price them to sell. There are hard to find guns and then just everyday guns. Everyday guns will require a bit more discounting. Hard to find desirable guns generally just need to be priced below what anyone else on the internet is selling it for.

Example - A slightly used Sig X-Five Level 1 9mm priced at $1,600 will quickly sell; but priced at $2,195 it will just sit there forever.

Example 2 - A decent used Glock 17 at $350 will sell. Same gun priced at $450 will sit there.

Last edited by Skans; March 24, 2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old March 24, 2020, 08:57 AM   #6
MarkCO

I sold last week when my LGS was almost out. 8 cases of ammo and 2 9mm pistols. I got a good price from my friend who owns the LGS and he got to make a little more to keep him in chedda too.

I might go to another shop tomorrow and unload a few more.

I know for most selling 4 or 5 guns might seen whacked, but these are not even backups and each of my boys (16 and 18), have a complete set already.
Old March 24, 2020, 09:01 AM   #7
HighDesert

Been there, done that, but for pennies on the dollar. Wasn’t guns. It was everything to try and maintain my credit, so I could climb back up on the other side of the .com failure. It sucked, but that’s life sometimes. I sat in an empty house, but managed to at least hold on to it. Here, you know something is coming, have things you don’t use, but can sell for a nice profit to weather tough times....I’m sorry, what was the question again?

Last edited by HighDesert; March 24, 2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old March 24, 2020, 10:56 AM   #8
ocharry

Hal,,,where you at in Ohio??? and what you think you want to sell,,,,,

send me a PM ,,,with what you maybe want to sell and the price

we could maybe work something out if you have anything im interested in,,,my daughter just asked me yesterday for a shot gun,,,she is in ohio,,,maybe i could pay you and she could pick it up for a early birthday present,,,,just a thought

ocharry
Old March 24, 2020, 06:49 PM   #9
Pahoo

You collection; your move !!!

Quote:
Anyone else thinking along those lines?
Sure, but obviously not for your reason. There are many reasons why one sells part or all of their collection. What Liberals would refer to as an arsenal. Most of the reasons I encounter, is that a widow winds up having to liquidate her husband's collection. One day, they are a prized collection and the next, a burden. ……

Be Safe !!!
Old March 24, 2020, 09:10 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

None of the reasons listed convince me to sell your guns.

That said, if you don't shoot them, or enjoy them, sell them.

If you need the money from those guns, by all means, sell them.

Otherwise, it is up to you.
Old March 24, 2020, 10:40 PM   #11
denvernoob

Absolutely. I think anyone with unneeded guns should sell them. I think it's a shame that at times like these we cannot offer guns to everyone who is looking to buy. It is too easy to laugh at those who are "unprepared". Think of all the first time buyers who could be permanently brought over to our side of the argument. That's in addition to the fundamental belief that you may be offering someone the ability to protect themselves or their families. The extra inventory in the hands of the serious firearms collectors and aficionados could likely bridge this gap that seems to occur every few years. I also think the industry in general benefits from private gun sales. Personally, I find myself most engrossed in forums and making related firearm purchases when I get a new (or new to me) gun. Beyond the first time buyers there's a million guys like me. I'm in my thirties, with a family. I buy one, maybe two guns a year and that is a recent development at best. I'm still looking to buy guns. I don't have a lot of guns, and while comfortably "prepared" for times like these, I wanted to buy a youth 20 gauge for my son as his first shotgun this spring. I'm seriously questioning if I can even find one to buy right now, and that sucks. If you don't need the gun - sell it!
Old March 24, 2020, 11:15 PM   #12
Ignition Override

In most states they can look at Armslist and can easily find many types of handguns, rifles etc.
I'm well aware that two or three states have shutdown gun shops or (in other states) the ability to do background checks.

But in many states people can at least Try to find what they need or want on Armslist.
I've done at least fourteen gun deals. It's certainly not always perfect, but with common sense it can work quite well.

* That's my only general point here, and it might not be a good method for gun novices (but this should be obvious).
Old March 25, 2020, 03:21 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If you don't need the gun - sell it!
Are you a minimalist about other things in life??

Several guns I sold as "excess to needs" I later discovered I wished I had them back...

If you need cash and don't need a specific gun sure, sell it, but don't let anyone else decide what you "need".

Right now, the guns in demand are in the personal protection class, and demand for good sporting rifles that aren't AR style or something "tactical" is pretty low. You won't get a good return on that custom mauser in .458 Win mag right now.

As to rent control/suspension, etc., BEFORE the virus became known, the Seattle City govt was reported to be considering a law prohibiting eviction during the winter months. Seriously, no one allowed to be evicted for non payment of rent between Oct and April, or something like that. You could evict renters for running a meth lab in your rental, but not for "simply" not paying their rent...

As far as I know the idea was tabled, but....think about it, now, today, how could our kind caring govt toss you out into the streets where a killer virus roams unchecked, just because you owe someone (the landlord) some money?? That's just inhumane!!! (deliberate sarcasm)

IF you've got guns you don't use, aren't going to use, and don't have them for the pleasure of just having them, there's nothing wrong with turning them into cash you can use. As long as you realize that you may never be able to get them back if you later decide you want to.
Old March 25, 2020, 05:14 AM   #14
Hal

Quote:
I sold last week when my LGS was almost out. 8 cases of ammo and 2 9mm pistols. I got a good price from my friend who owns the LGS and he got to make a little more to keep him in chedda too.
Yep - I saw that post Mark & it got me thinking about things.
I'm of half a mind to see what the LGS would offer me for some of the stuff I have.
My collection isn't extensive & there's not much to it that's exotic.

Quote:
Several guns I sold as "excess to needs" I later discovered I wished I had them back...
I've mentioned my flow chart for selling before...It goes:
Do I like it? Yes or No?
If No - then sell it since it's of no use to tie money up in something you neither want nor like.

If Yes - How much will you get for it vs how much will it cost to replace?

Will it ever be replaced? Yes or No.

Or something like that. I use that process with everything I sell - guns, tools momentoes from my youth (nothing real valuable - but stuff like Mercury dimes, Liberty Quarters - not valuable collector stuff - just pocket stuff that was "neat" when I was a kid & those were pretty common)

Quote:
One day, they are a prized collection and the next, a burden.
Yeah - there is that aspect too...I am in one of those high risk categories - so leaving my wife having to wade through what's in the safe & what it's worth does cross my mind.
Old March 25, 2020, 08:30 AM   #15
MarkCO

Hal, I had tried to sell the two 9mm handguns prior, but did not get offers even close to what I wanted for them. I got good prices because he knew he would only have them for a day or so as demand was high.
Old March 25, 2020, 10:00 AM   #16
Hal

Mark -I figured it would be something like that.
Old March 25, 2020, 11:43 AM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Again, a lot depends on what you have to sell and current demand (AND your time frame...)

If you've got combat Tupperware or pocket revolvers today, they'll probably move on out fairly quickly. You''' get your money's worth, but not a big profit.

A few years back, well before any panic, I sold a VG/Exe SVT 40, that I had been sitting on for about 20 years. Sold on consignment at a local shop, and after they took their cut, I still got over $1100 for it. Not bad for a gun I paid $125 for. However, that money is now long gone...and I'll never replace that Tokarev so, its a win, but also in a way, a loss.
Old March 25, 2020, 02:01 PM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

With gun stores closed in Ohio, selling would have to be done through private advertising, which may be difficult. Also, while foreclosures and evictions might be halted, there is no way the government will impose rent or mortgage write-offs on landlords and banks. Payments for housing are part of what the government checks and expanded unemployment comp' are supposed to cover. They would not recreate 2008 on purpose.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 25, 2020, 04:00 PM   #19
peterg7

One could view this as a fortuitous circumstance, someone wants a gun and can legally own it then fill the need.

I did with silver and ammo when they were in demand.

Come to think of it I have a like new P-11 that I will part with for $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 25, 2020, 09:17 PM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

<<Several posts have been deleted because they were off topic.>>

I keep hearing about lines out the door at gun shops, and gun shops being sold out. Who is buying, and what are they buying? I just looked on Gunbroker. Prices for Colt 1911 pistols of all sizes aren't any different than they were, and they aren't attracting an abnormal number of bids. There are three pages of Para-Ordnance pistols on Gunbroker right now. Prices are lower than what I would expect, and almost all of them had 0 (that's "zero") bids.

So what's selling? Glocks, Kel-Tecs, and other pocket pistols?
Jeepaholic
Old March 25, 2020, 10:13 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Who is buying, and what are they buying?
I can find out what (in general) tomorrow but I can tell you the "who" in general terms in my area, and its people who, up until yesterday, were walking into gunshops and not buying off the net, often not even being aware of Gunbroker and other sites.

Our local shop is still "open" while it is closed. They will process a gun you ordered, and do the checks, and deliver it to you at the shop door or to you in your car in the parking lot. No customers go inside now, to comply with the Gov's order.
Old March 25, 2020, 11:00 PM   #22
Onward Allusion

Quote:
I figure I could get $500 today and have contemplated selling them.
You probably could sell it for $600 if you threw in a box of ammo.
Old March 26, 2020, 08:49 AM   #23
Hal

Quote:
With gun stores closed in Ohio,
When did that happen?
I only read that they were considered "essential" just the other day.
Do you have a source for that info?
Old March 29, 2020, 06:38 AM   #24
Drachenstein

I was thinking about getting rid a few of the safe queens, and guns I absolutely hate to shoot. First in mind is my PT91 and M1a. With supply and demand being what it is, I at least want what I paid for them. With all the venues removed since my last sell off, where does one now go to advertise what your selling?
Old March 29, 2020, 09:20 AM   #25
MarkCO

Aguila, on line bids are not yet doing better than average as you noted, but I would not be surprised to see them pick up in the next week or so. Like myself, a lot of my friends have unloaded prize table guns, ones they don't shoot anymore, etc. and are looking for deals on things they have wanted, or projects. But they are not going to pay panic prices.

But locally, along the Colorado front range, the inexpensive polymer pistols and shotguns went first. Then the more expensive steel framed pistols and ARs. Bolt guns still seem to be static. Anyway, I have now sold 5 guns that I have been wanting to sell for a while and got very good prices for them. The LGS I sold the ammo and 3 of them to, I told them to get me a CZ P07 on the way when they have some spare time and have a PCC lower coming to them for another project.