The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 21, 2017, 08:49 PM   #1
Everymanalion

Do you have to go through an FFL to get your rifle back from warranty repair?

I heard someone talking about this and don't know if it was a joke or not, I potentially have to send my Savage rifle out for repair to Savage and if I have to go through an FFL to get it back, I will be very annoyed and such an unneeded hassle.

Anyone know?
Old January 21, 2017, 09:01 PM   #2
NHSHOOTER

I sent my rifle to Boyds gunstocks a few years back and I had the same question. Answer is, they have a FFL so you can legally send it to them (same as savage) and since YOU are the owner of the firearm they can ship it back to your home, NO FFL dealer required. I dont know about post office, I sent and received mine via UPS..
Old January 21, 2017, 09:17 PM   #3
reinert

Maybe a call to Savage would answer your question; probably wouldn't be the first time they've been asked that one (FWIW).
Old January 21, 2017, 09:28 PM   #4
Everymanalion

They are not open on weekends and i wanted to find out before monday so I can plan. thanks or I would have called.
Old January 21, 2017, 10:02 PM   #5
reynolds357

Not to bash TC, but I have sent a few rifles back to them. They sent them all back to me at my house. All that was required was adult signature.
Old January 21, 2017, 10:03 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

If you send it to them they can send it back to you. This happens all the time. You don't need an FFL to get your own gun back. You don't need an FFL to send them the gun either, do that yourself also.
Old January 21, 2017, 10:28 PM   #7
mehavey

To/From a gun repair facility is a specific case where the owner does not have to have an FFL involved.
Old January 22, 2017, 01:20 AM   #8
math teacher

You can send long guns through the mail to an FFL holder, who can mail them back to you.
Old January 22, 2017, 05:15 AM   #9
mag1911

Repairs normally don't require any dealer involvement but a friend sent his SW9C to Smith & Wesson for repairs. S&W said it was not repairable and offered to send him a new 9mm compact of some sort in exchange to his dealer of choice. When the replacement pistol showed up at the dealer he had to do the paper work since it was a different serial number.

I'd also talk to a local dealer. At one time local city ordinances required every firearm transfer (pawn loans, private sales, repair work, etc) go through a FFL and paperwork done at both ends. The FFL had to log the firearm in and the individual had to do paperwork to receive it. State preemptive law stopped that here but might still be an issue some places.
Old January 22, 2017, 11:46 AM   #10
RIDE-RED 350r

About 3 years ago, I sent one of my S&W revolvers to S&W for a tune-up. They sent me a shipping label and the package was picked up at my door and returned directly to my door with no FFL involvement required. Safe to say if a handgun doesn't require FFL involvement when shipping back to the manufacturer for repair, a rifle should be the same.
Old January 22, 2017, 12:05 PM   #11
1stmar

Depends on rifle type (semi auto), where you live and manufacturer. I live in CT and had to send a mini back, could not send a mag and still had to go thru ffl. Rugers rules, same for Springfield and an m1a.
Old January 23, 2017, 11:14 AM   #12
pete2

I live in Texas. A few years ago I sent a shotgun to Browning for repair and it was returned to me directly. Couple years ago sent a pistol to Ruger, they replaced it and it had to comeback thru a dealer because it was a new gun, had to do the paperwork and pay the transfer fee.
Old January 23, 2017, 12:28 PM   #13
AllenJ

In California it is legal to ship your firearm to an gun repair business and have it returned directly to you, I did with with a Ruger rifle I was having work done on a few years back. The post office would not ship it though, I had to use UPS and they would only pick up from my home. Not sure what your states laws are.
Old January 29, 2017, 12:39 AM   #14
jmstr

To/From you to a FFL holding gunsmith is legal.

However, as a private person, it depends on state and other regs.

For example, handguns go overnight, at around $90, to ship out from me.

My LGS can ship it from him to the same gunsmith for about $16. However, it NOW has to come BACK to him.

So, I can have it shipped more directly, and incur a big expense, or I can have my LGS do it.

Note: my favorite LGS for this lets me just ship from him, and just charges me shipping/materials fee [box/tape/bubblewrap]- $16.

When gun returns, he just calls and I come get it.

most other LGSs will charge something like $50 to handle it for me. I am lucky that I have options. Even in California.
Old January 29, 2017, 11:18 AM   #15
RKG

As a matter of federal law, interposing an FFL (federally licensed firearms dealer) is required if there is a "transfer" (of title) to the firearm. If the manufacturer is returning to the owner a repaired firearm, there is no "transfer" for federal purpose.

However, state law may impose a different requirement, depending on the laws of the state. (Most dealers holding federal dealer licenses are also required to hold state dealer licenses.)
Old January 29, 2017, 11:37 AM   #16
FITASC

Quote:
he post office would not ship it though, I had to use UPS
Your PO was incorrect. It is perfectly legal for you to ship via the USPS (longgun) without you needing a FFL
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 29, 2017, 07:52 PM   #17
zx9rt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSHOOTER View Post
I sent my rifle to Boyds gunstocks a few years back and I had the same question. Answer is, they have a FFL so you can legally send it to them (same as savage) and since YOU are the owner of the firearm they can ship it back to your home, NO FFL dealer required. I dont know about post office, I sent and received mine via UPS..

Exactly this^^^^^. I sent my Range Officer back to Springfield for a warranty repair and the shipped it back directly to me. This was via FedEx with signature required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 31, 2017, 09:59 PM   #18
jrothWA

There may also dealing with state laws..

for example if you send a handgun to D. Trumbull'sshop, it has to go thruogh FFL's both ways. New york laws.

whereas GCA of 1968 state that I can send any firearm to a licenced smith and have it sent back.

Good luck.