The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 25, 2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Doyle

Adjusting .44 mag load to minimize muzzle blast

I shoot a 5" .44 mag. Since most load data was originally developed with longer barrels in mind, I obviously get more muzzle flash/blast than those who were developing the load. If I want to choose a load with one goal being to minimize muzzle flash/blast from my shorter barrel would I get more benefit from: A), Going to a heavier bullet (which also uses less powder)? Or B), Choosing a slightly faster burning powder. Or, maybe both?
Old July 25, 2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Will-j

Any/all of the above

Will.
THE WINDS OF CHANGE ARE BLOWING FROM OUR OWN CAPITOL.
Old July 25, 2015, 08:29 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

A 5" barrel isn't really all that short and you still should get respectable velocity out of it
I like faster powders and lighter bullets for less muzzle blast
Old July 25, 2015, 09:26 PM   #4
Mobuck

Nosler 200 grain JHP and 800X powder makes a nice load for my 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk. About 1100-1200 fps is good enough for my needs.
Old July 26, 2015, 10:12 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Some handgun powders have an added flash suppressant. BE-86 comes to mind. If muzzle flash was a concern of mine, I would contact the major powder manufacturers and see what recommendations they have. They would have a better grasp on this than most folks on gun forums.
Old July 27, 2015, 07:50 AM   #6
TimSr

Any load that eliminates flash will proabbly not be a magnum load any more. If eliminating flash is your pirimary objective, use fast powders under cast bullets in light target loads.
Old July 27, 2015, 10:37 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I like faster powders and lighter bullets for less muzzle blast
I like faster powders and heavier bullets for less muzzle blast.

As Buck460XVR said, BE-86 comes to mind. Now my only 44 Mag has an 8-3/8" bbl, so I can't really use that as my baseline. (I would love to have a 629 Classic 5", btw.)

But I do have a 357 Mag w/ a 3" bbl, and that roughly translates to a 5" bbl in 44 Mag (roughly). I have had good luck with HS-6 loaded up real firm with a heavy 158gn JHP - flash is modest (counter-intuitively, if it's under-loaded, it gets flashy). Knowing this, I'd use HS-6 w/ a 240gn JHP for 44 Mag. If a lighter slug is preferred, moving to something even faster may be in order - like W231 or the like.
Old July 27, 2015, 10:41 PM   #8
zxcvbob

If you can find some, try Herco powder with 240 grain cast bullets. I don't remember the exact load (look it up) but it's about 12 grains.
Old July 27, 2015, 11:45 PM   #9
Kosh75287

You might also try 9.0/Unique/240 SWC and work up to whatever power level you want. That load won't give you magnum performance, but you'll get to it from there quickly. Unique burns faster than Herco, and I love both of those powders. You might also mitigate some of the flash and blast by using a heavier-than-normal crimp, which facilitates more complete deflagration before the projectile leaves the case mouth.

I think the old classic load with Unique in the .44 Magnum was 11.2 gr./240 SWC, but approach with caution. If a faster powder than Unique is needed, I suggest Green Dot or Red Dot, in that order.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old July 28, 2015, 05:01 AM   #10
Mike / Tx

You might search around for post listing low flash powders as well. I find that AA-5 and 9 produce less flash than similar powders used for similar loads. I load a LOT of #9 in my magnum revolvers since I hunt with them. The last thing you want in dimly lit woods is a huge bright flash to have you seeing spots after a shot.
Old July 28, 2015, 01:50 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

Muzzle flash/blast is about the barrel length and the load. Think physics. A cast bullet doesn't get driven as fast as a jacketed. It'll have less muzzle flash/blast.
Old July 28, 2015, 07:39 PM   #12
zxcvbob

Cast bullets are often driven almost as fast as jacketed. (I do that myself) I suspect some people drive them just as fast or faster than jacketed bullets.
Old July 28, 2015, 07:48 PM   #13
Doyle

I'm thinking that I'm going to go to a 265-270gr hard cast. The problem is powder. I just checked the only 2 local powder dealers and all I can get are Titegroup and H110. The H110 is great for full-power loads but doesn't scale down well. It's also pretty slow. Titegroup is fine for light target loads (and I'm thinking I'll get a bottle for that) but it doesn't scale up enough for a decent hunting load.

I guess I've got to keep hitting them up until they get some AA#9, 2400, etc. to make up a hunting load. If I can get somewhere close to 1200fps in a 265-270 WFN then I'll be happy.
Old July 28, 2015, 10:22 PM   #14
WVMountaineer

Faster powder equals less powder. Heavier bullets for that faster powder equals less of that faster powder. Which decreases muzzle flash. If it were a concern for me, I'd do as Tim said and load a faster powder under a cast bullet of sorts. I prefer powder coated cast bullets. Shooting lead will require even less of the faster burning powder to achieved jacketed velocity's with the same powder. All will decrease muzzle flash. But, understand that creating a hot load for YOUR cast bullet can smoke quite a bit. Hence my preference for Powder coated lead bullets. A lot less smoke. Even in hot loads, Good luck and God Bless
Old July 29, 2015, 03:25 AM   #15
hartcreek

Doyle

You picked .44 Magnum but that does not mean that you can not shoot .44 Special in it. If you do not want to shoot .44 Special then man up or sell it and drop down a caliber. It is just in the nature of the caliber of what you chose and there really is only so much that you can do about it.
Old July 29, 2015, 06:57 AM   #16
Longshot4

I can tell you that H-110 and 2400 produce lots of flash out of my 10.5" super Blackhawk so stay away from them for what you want.
Old July 29, 2015, 08:00 AM   #17
GeauxTide

Quote:
You might also try 9.0/Unique/240 SWC and work up to whatever power level you want. That load won't give you magnum performance, but you'll get to it from there quickly. Unique burns faster than Herco, and I love both of those powders. You might also mitigate some of the flash and blast by using a heavier-than-normal crimp, which facilitates more complete deflagration before the projectile leaves the case mouth
Couldn't said it better than KOSH. Also, leading won't be a problem with loads of 1000fps or less. I've been using Missouri Bullets 240SWC and they lead very little.
Old July 29, 2015, 08:17 AM   #18
TimSr

Quote:
I suspect some people drive them just as fast or faster than jacketed bullets.
I shoot them both over the same powder charge. The cast bullets leave the gun faster
Old July 29, 2015, 08:18 AM   #19
Doyle

Hartcreek, I think you have misunderstood my intentions. I'm not recoil averse and I'm certainly capable of shooting full house magnum loads. However, this particular gun is not well suited to those loads. It's a 629 with a 5" barrel. If this were a Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel then I wouldn't be looking to do any thing different. Redhawks can take a steady diet of full magnum loads without damage - the 629's not so much. I figure while I'm at it I might as well try and load for flame reduction as well.

GeauxTide and Kosh have the right idea - except that my dealers haven't seen Unique on the shelves in a very long time. I've seen some interesting loads with Titegroup which my dealer does have.
Old July 29, 2015, 08:25 AM   #20
TimSr

Quote:
I guess I've got to keep hitting them up until they get some AA#9, 2400, etc. to make up a hunting load. If I can get somewhere close to 1200fps in a 265-270 WFN then I'll be happy.
If you are going for a low flash load suitable for hunting, you've greatly reduced your options. Unique will get you there, and have less flash than a magnum powder (replaced by smoke), but a hunting load is going to flash. Buck also mentioned Alliant BE-86 which is advertised as a "flash suppressent powder". I've never used it, but it sounds like the best deliberate attempt to make what you are looking for. Personally, I'd not worry about the flash, and concentrate on the best deer. I've been flashing the woods with 110/296 for years during deer season, and have never beenb blinded to the point that I couldn't see the deer drop, even in pre-sunrise dim light.

I also think its a mistake to assume that your 629 is not up to the task of digesting a steady diet of published loads for which it was made. True the Ruger can take more abuse, but loads within published standards are not abuse.

Last edited by TimSr; July 29, 2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old July 29, 2015, 09:45 AM   #21
Unclenick
Staff

Doyle,

The faster a powder is, the less you need to achieve a given peak pressure. It will, however, also produce less velocity for a given peak pressure because it reaches peak pressure before the bullet has moved as far down the tube as it does when a slow powder reaches peak pressure. Thus, the volume the fast powder's pressure peaks in is smaller. That's why you use a lighter charge. A heavier charge would make too much gas for that smaller space and would exceed the pressure limit for the cartridge. This lower gas quantity also means that as the bullet goes down the tube, expanding the burning space, pressure drops faster and accelerates the bullet less after the peak. That's why the velocity produced is lower, even though the peak pressure is the same.

The reason slower powders that produce higher velocity also produce a lot of flash is the pressure and temperature of their propellant gases are higher when the bullet clears the muzzle due to the greater total quantity of gas they make at their maximum charge weights. That greater gas quantity also supplies more fuel to burn with oxygen from the air it meets as it exits. Nitrocellulose combustion is an oxygen deficient reaction, and so there is unoxidized carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen in its gases. This is why it leaves unburned carbon in your bore. But if they are hot enough to ignite, those excess fuel molecules happily burn in air.

If you use powder with a flash suppressant, this can help a good deal. They will use a something that lowers the temperature of combustion and therefore of the expelled gas. This reduces the flame temperature and brightness.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 30, 2015, 09:10 PM   #22
458winshooter

44 muzzle blast

Try using Vihtavuori N-110 nearly the same velocity as H-110/W296 but no flash really like this stuff
Old July 30, 2015, 09:32 PM   #23
Doyle

Quote:
Try using Vihtavuori N-110 nearly the same velocity as H-110/W296 but no flash really like this stuff
Yes, I've read about N110 being good. Supposedly, N105 is even better (just a tad faster). Both are reported to be very clean burning.

Downside is availability. No Vihtavuori locally at all. Powder Valley has N110 but no N105.
Old July 31, 2015, 03:02 AM   #24
hartcreek

Doyle

I know exactly what you have and when I started loading my virgin cases worked fine but once fired cases would not eject but I was using 22 grains of 296 and a 200 grain bullet. I now use unique and if I am remembering right. THIS IS A LOAD THAT YOU SHOULD NOT LOAD for just anything except a few limited production run guns as you might not have fingers left.

With that disclaimer I am using 7.5 grains Unique and a 240 grain gas checked bullet in my 624 and when I say you either have to shoot special loads or man up I mean it.

If you want a potent round then you just have to deal with a bit of flash and recoil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0020-1.jpg (59.2 KB, 10 views)
Old July 31, 2015, 04:38 AM   #25
zeke

458winshooter nailed it. Less flash and less concussion.