The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 28, 2013, 03:31 PM   #26
Fishing_Cabin

True as well Tom...I think the conversation is a bit one-sided right now...
Old January 28, 2013, 03:33 PM   #27
SPEMack618

Larry said it best with his awesome letter.

Until the antis- entertain the possibility of an armed guard in every school, in every district, it isn't a conversation. It is a lecture.
Old January 28, 2013, 03:43 PM   #28
darkgael

Arms

I haven't read through the Feinstein bill yet - been studying the NYS SAFE act.
Comment though...
Quote:
to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited . . . .
That bit comes from the affirmative decision in the 2008 case of the District of Columbia vs. Heller. Yes, an individual has the right to keep and bear arms....but that right is not unlimited.

Pete
Old January 28, 2013, 03:52 PM   #29
9mm

Quote:
v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.
Glock 18 vs Glock 17/19?????????? Beretta 92fs vs full auto?
Old January 28, 2013, 04:51 PM   #30
gc70

Quote:
The G18 was supposedly designed specifically to have different internal parts and a frame and slide that are not interchangeable with the G17.

The Beretta 93R was a variant of the older Beretta 92 with frame-mounted controls. I don't know how different it is internally from the Beretta 92FS with slide-mounted controls.
Old January 28, 2013, 04:55 PM   #31
HK_Flo

Quote:
Was the glock originally a full-auto? I am pretty sure the G18 was based on the 17 not the other way around. Same with the Beretta 93r. The Beretta 93r is 3 shot burst. or single shot select fire.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:06 PM   #32
Spats McGee
Staff

This whole thing hasn't been polite enough to be called a "lecture," and I don't think the anti-2A folks will ever be satisfied. They'll be satisfied "for now," until the next opportunity. (That last word is pronounced "publicly exploitable tragedy.")
Old January 28, 2013, 07:08 PM   #33
Fishing_Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
They'll be satisfied "for now," until the next opportunity. (That last word is pronounced "publicly exploitable tragedy.")
Hmmm...Public Exploitable Tragedy...P.E.T.? I guess thats why they are now pushing their P.E.T. Legislation a lot more this year. Gives a new definition to, ummm, "pet project" or "pet legislation"... Sad really.

Last edited by Fishing_Cabin; January 28, 2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 28, 2013, 07:49 PM   #34
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing_Cabin View Post
the huge question is, at what point are they satisfied with the limits they impose?
There is no limit. Who was it that posted the sign from an English department store indicating that it is illegal for anyone under 18 to purchase a purchase a "dangerous" set of table cuttlery.

Gosh darn those butter knives and forks.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:39 PM   #35
Mezzanine

Quote:
(C) Any part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic rifle but not convert the semiautomatic rifle into a machinegun.
What about aftermarket triggers that may have a lighter trigger pull, less travel and/or a shorter reset? Argument could be made that those factors add up to an increased rate of fire.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:56 PM   #36
Daugherty16

Say goodby to your slidefire stock

which is (i think) pretty clearly what Diane means to ban with that language. Don't forget, she looked at a lot of pictures of guns and accessories before writing (sorry, making her interns write) this onerous piece of legislation. So she really knows her stuff. Why, i'll bet she can tell a clip from a magazine. Well no, she probably hasn't ever seen a clip, star or stripper.

Anyway, write your congress people. make cogent, potent arguments. Unfortunately, if they have already consumed the Kool-aid, they won't listen - but tell them anyway. Each letter, email or phone call carries the representative weight of hundreds or even thousands of constituents who don't wall or write. Even a committed anti, faced with thousands of communications against a bill, might reconsider. Maybe they don't really have deeply held principles after all, save for re-election instincts.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:59 AM   #37
Spats McGee
Staff

I finally read the beast last night. Several parts caught my interest, but there was one in particular that caught my eye. I don't have my copy with me, so I'll have to paraphrase: "A 'pistol grip' means [insert a couple of particulars] or anything else that functions as a grip."

Unless I'm sadly mistaken, every gun on the market has a place where you're supposed to grip it, right? So every gun has something "that functions as a grip."
Old January 30, 2013, 01:41 PM   #38
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
‘‘(46) The term ‘pistol grip’ means a grip, a thumb- hole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.
And I thought it was just me! Spats, that certainly appears to be vague enough to mean just about any type of stock.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:41 PM   #39
Spats McGee
Staff

No, Al, it's not just you. I don't know about anyone else, but I always like to hold my guns when I shoot them, so I guess every one of mine has a "pistol grip" by her definition.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:45 PM   #40
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm seeing reports that the Senate Judiciary Chair rejects Dianne Feinstein's Assault Weapons Ban.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:54 PM   #41
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

However,

Quote:
The rebuffed California Democrat plans to hold her own hearing in her Judiciary subcommittee on her legislation, which is strongly opposed by the National Rifle Association. Senate majority leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has also refused to back a ban on military-style weapons and high-capacity clips. Reid’s position reflects the political fact that a whole bevy of conservative Democrats do not support Feinstein’s ban.
Feinstein is having a tissy-fit!
Old February 2, 2013, 08:31 AM   #42
amathis

I found this quite interesting. It addresses the whole "grip" thing.

http://redflagnews.com/headlines/mus...by-alan-korwin
Old February 4, 2013, 11:45 PM   #43
kozak6

I think it's particularly baffling that a rocket launcher is listed as a naughty feature.

Is there even such a thing available to civilians?
Old February 5, 2013, 12:35 AM   #44
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozak6 View Post
I think it's particularly baffling that a rocket launcher is listed as a naughty feature.

Is there even such a thing available to civilians?
Not if this passes!!!
Old February 5, 2013, 12:42 AM   #45
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
That would cover those 37mm flare launchers folks attach to rifles.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:55 AM   #46
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
There is troubling language in Section 5 on Background Checks at the end of the bill.

(t)(1) requires all transfers of grandfathered weapons to go through FFLs. Transfers to family members are not excluded.

(t)(2) provides an exclusion for "a temporary transfer of possession for the purpose of participating in target shooting in a licensed target facility or established range" but does not define the terms for those locations.

(t)(3) partially defines the term 'transfer' as: "(A) shall include a sale, gift, or loan; and (B) does not include temporary custody of the grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapon for purposes of examination or evaluation by a prospective transferee."

The concept of requiring background checks for temporary transfers of possession is very disturbing, particularly when there is even a special exception for holding a gun you are considering buying.
That Section troubled me as well... If there is an exclusion for a temporary transfer for target shooting on a licensed target facility or established range, then the inference is that there is NO exclusion if you are not on a licensed facility or established range. Want to let your granddaughter shoot a few rounds into the back of the pond dam on your piece of rural land? Congratulations, you are a felon! Want to loan your son an AR for his first deer hunt? Felon.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:50 AM   #47
gc70

Feinstein's bill is now officially published by the GPO as S.150.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:29 PM   #48
Tom Servo
Staff

Thanks, GC. Here are the co-sponsors:

Blumenthal, Richard [D-CT]
Boxer, Barbara [D-CA]
Cardin, Benjamin [D-MD]
Carper, Thomas [D-DE]
Durbin, Richard [D-IL]
Gillibrand, Kirsten [D-NY]
Lautenberg, Frank [D-NJ]
Levin, Carl [D-MI]
Menéndez, Robert “Bob” [D-NJ]
Mikulski, Barbara [D-MD]
Murphy, Christopher [D-CT]
Reed, John “Jack” [D-RI]
Rockefeller, John “Jay” [D-WV]
Schatz, Brian [D-HI]
Schumer, Charles [D-NY]
Warren, Elizabeth [D-MA]
Whitehouse, Sheldon [D-RI]
Franken, Al [D-MN]
Hirono, Mazie [D-HI]
Klobuchar, Amy [D-MN]

Pretty much the usual crowd. Given that this is the Big Bonanza Must-Have Save The Children Bill of 2013, that's not a lot of support.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:58 PM   #49
Dr Big Bird PhD

Thanks for my list of people to vote against at all times
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 5, 2013, 04:17 PM   #50
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...1.html?hp=t3_3

The analysis is that Feinstein pushing this will sink the more likely to be passed universal background checks. Due to legislative chicanery and covering your tushy - some procedures allow for wishy washy GOP and Democrats to avoid having to vote for an AWB to get background checks.

But Diane F. wants the whole thing - that will force Red state and purple state legislators at risk to vote against the whole package. That will sink background checks which we know that 254% of the population of the United States totally support.